VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Jaws 3-D. It’s a transformative experience.

Oh, the way that bloody, severed arm floats right in front of you like you could reach out and touch it!

Congrats! Welcome to the VR party.

I have NVIDIA Vision 3D glasses and used them to watch some movies in 3D. How does a VR visor do it?

Thanks god for the Walking Dead VR game, because until now the ‘action/adventure’ genre was in pretty bad shape in the VR medium. I say this because I’ve been playing Apex Construct (2/3 of it played) and like Arizona Sunshine or Jouney of the Gods, the flaws overwhelm the virtues.
It’s short, linear, it reuses levels and even bosses, and it does it in an uninteresting way (it isn’t something like a good Metrodvania where revisiting old places can be cool), the progression is boring, the environment is mostly non-interactive, the little physics it has for a few grabbable objects are wonky, the enemy variety is very poor (80% of the whole game is the same type of robot), their AI is boring, the combat is very samey, there aren’t good puzzles, etc.

I like the Saints and Sinners, but I also really liked Asgard. Fund game if you haven’t tried it!

For me, I downloaded SkyBox (free app that works really well with Plex).

My usb cables for using Oculus Link arrived

I didn’t buy the ‘standard ones’, the Anker usb + Cable creation extension cable that lots of people were using, as they weren’t less available in my country. I bought a 2m Aukey usb cable and a 5 mts active extension from CSL. They also were cheap.

The Aukey cable would work on any usb port from my mobo, although the CSL cable is more picky and only wanted to work on the two USB 3.1 gen2 ports I have (I have a modern Asus mobo from 2019), not on the usb 3.1 gen1 ports.
Although the real problem was the sound. I had video but no sound. I tried changing usbs, testing it without the extension cable, but no dice. I did have an oculus virtual headphones or whatever audio device on my mixer audio, I had it on my computer since I installed the Oculus software on my desktop but on the Oculus app it wouldn’t even show the audio selector that supposedly I should have.

In the end this ‘hack’ served for me as solution.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/82444/oculus-link-sound-fix-workaround

That fixed, the setup seems to work fine. I only tested stuff for 20 min like the Oculus Home thing, Moss, Echo Arena, but performance and latency seemed fine. I haven’t tried stuff like Beat Saber on Expert.

My initial testing of my Link setup was a bit weird.

In the initial 20-min testing (when I received the package at home) it worked fine, once I solved the audio issue. Later in the day I finished work so I wanted to start playing Lone Echo for real. Here the problems started, in the form of random disconnects and the already famous 3 white dots. Cue more testing: I tried playing several times. I put the Quest on sleep and woke it again. I rebooted it. I closed the Oculus software and started it again. I found the Oculus service and restarted that. Still nothing. Well I got it to work a pair of times more but also would fail again in a few minutes. At some point it didn’t want to work at all.
Keeping the story short, I started to grow worried my cable setup wasn’t adequate and would have to return them, but after dinner I rebooted the computer and I could play for 2 hours. So I think I validated my hardware setup with that, it was just the Link beta being a real Beta. I hope it improves with v13, but I think now we have to wait too for an update in the Oculus desktop app.

Still small numbers, but 43% growth year-over-year.

I’ve had Pistol Whip for a few months now, but for some reason I’ve just been playing it the “right” way with one pistol, trying for high scores. Tonight, I got frustrated with repeating the new track for the 10th time and turned on dual wield. O. M. G. That’s the fucking way to play this game. So much more fun!

…and after two days with Link broken thanks to the new update, I got it fixed. How? It’s a language issue. Well, it’s a ‘Facebook doesn’t test shit properly’ issue really. If you have a non-English Window, you have to rename your virtual headphones device from whatever name it has (mine was auricurales) to ‘Headphones’.

Really unprofessional from Facebook to not test on different languages when developing an internationally sold device.

Could anyone help me test something, in the Oculus app?

Can you try to download, for example, the app ‘Cut-Off: Interactive VR Documentary’ ? I’m finding the download always stops with an error on the 2.7gb downloaded point. I thought it was a caching problem of my ISP or an issue in the closest CDN from Facebook, but I tried a VPN, from two different locations, and the same happened!

Yes, mine fails around that point also. I am in Australia.

Ok so I’m not crazy lol. It isn’t like I’m particularly interested in that documentary, it’s that I had the same issue with more apps…

Very nice VR bundle in HB

So what headset is everyone getting for Half Life Alyx? :)

Already have the Index. I am ready.

Got a Rift S powered up and ready to rock.

Original HTC Vive here, with wireless. Been looking at the Index, but it hasn’t been available, and just hard to go back to a tether.

I just discovered Vox Machinae on Steam today, and spent my whole lunch break playing it. Its basically Mechwarrior in VR, and its as cool as it sounds. I know its not exactly a new game, but its definitely one that deserves more attention. It is implemented almost perfectly for VR, with most controls requires actual hand movements instead of just being mapped to buttons.

Even though its in early access still, its in a pretty good state now (though I dunno about the playerbase). Still, playing with bots is fun, and I imagine with a couple human players it would be even more fun.