VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Welp, to each their own. Love you lots bro <3

Yes, they’ll work in anything that requires AAs. Most devices work okay with the lower voltage of Eneloops, though, which are cheaper. But for those devices that recommend against NiMH or Eneloop batteries and need a full 1.5V, they’re a good choice.

The Reverb G2? Nope, just one power brick.

Did you get yours yet? I can’t wait to hear about your assessments. Hope it’s just pure glee from here to eternity for you.

Should have it before the weekend, depending on the whims of UPS!

I’m 95% cockpit/HOTAS usage, but my son is big on VR shooters and swordfighting, and I do a bit of Beat Saber/BoxVR/etc for exercise, so I’ll try to report on overall goodness.

Too bad MS Flight Sim doesn’t have VR support yet. They are for sure adding it right?

What did you system specs end up being?

I received an e-mail titled HP Reverb G2 Shipping Update today!!!

Which only notified me that pre-orders had begun shipping out. Sigh…

kermit

Yep, I hope to get in on the beta at some point. They ended up supporting more than just the G2; WMR headsets in the first beta, and then wider (SteamVR?) in the second.

Core i9-10900K and RTX 3080. So if I can’t run things smoothly, they can’t be run smoothly. :)

Mine just shipped and was ordered 7/29, if that helps.

I ordered mine 10/14, so that made it worse in fact.

It’s fine! I’ll just play games in crummy old actual reality for the next 6 weeks.

I had a few months of free Viveport after buying my Index… not sure how different the service is between headsets. But my opinion was that it was a clearing-house for all kinds of VR tech demo crap-ola. There were a handful of decent titles worth trying, but the overall ratio of quality to junk was not at all subscription-worthy to me.

Still, it’s fun to see a variety of content. Is there any kind of free trial period offer you can take advantage of?

RoadToVR is a bit more positive on the Reverb G2 tracking:

Most of my VR gaming is going to be with a HOTAS anyway, but if worst comes to worst, I can always pick up some base stations and knuckle controllers. Admittedly doubling the cost of the headset in the process.

I have a dumb question. If you’re playing a flight sim and can’t see your keyboard… umm how do you use your keyboard?

Not dumb.

Headsets aren’t form fitting. With both the CV1 and Q2, there’s enough of a gap to look down my nose. Not optimal, but it works for the occasional key poke.

I peek thru the gap. But there’s also an app called voice attack that helps a lot. It puts keypresses or even scripts to word and phrase recognition.

“Tower, inbound” fires F5, F1, F1 at the sim.

For DCS (and hopefully msfs) theres also the clickable pit that obviates a lot of keypresses. I use a gadget named pointCTRL to interact with it and that’s just perfect.

If you touch type, it’s not so hard. I don’t yet have a headset that has external cameras, but I imagine it’s even easier with those, just toggle the camera on while you check.

But the short answer is to put as much as possible on the HOTAS. The only things I use the keyboard for at the moment are time acceleration and toggling the external view, and I plan on putting at least the former on to the HOTAS at some point (probably not until they patch in the in-game sim speed indicator)

Two weeks which should be enough time to try out Saints and Sinners, Moss, and although it is terribly reviewed, the Doctor Who escape room thing.

Has anyone used ReVive after leaving the Oculus ecosystem? I bought a lot of stuff from the Oculus store early on, and not sure if I need to keep my Rift S around or if ReVive works well enough that I can sell it…

I’m also curious about that. Also, I notice that when MRTV is streaming he is able to bring up the chat window on his wrist/palm. Is that a WMR thing, or Virtual Desktop or what? I don’t care about chat, but it would be nice to be able to do that for an arbitrary window, as opposed to pinning it to the side of my view like I currently do in Oculus.

UK Reverb G2 shipping update:

1000 apologies for asking something I’m sure has been asked before. I have little experience with VR (I own a PSVR, which I rarely use) but after becoming obsessed with MSFS and ETS2/ATS I preordered a HP Reverb G2 in mid-October, so hopefully will receive it before Christmas. I know virtually nothing about setting up or using VR on my PC. I recently built the PC, so while it’s not top of the line, it has reasonably good specs specs (GPU is a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER). Is there a good starter guide or some reference I can look at while I wait?

Use will primarily be for cockpit driving and flying, but I expect I’ll pick up Alyx and anything else that is highly recommended (so I’ll take recommendations for must-have games as well). I’ve got a reasonable amount of open space in the office where I’m going to set up.

Also, skimming through this thread, I’m seeing recommendations for AA batteries. Am I to understand that this sort of hi tech modern equipment doesn’t have rechargeable batteries built in? Is it still 1990?

Finally (probably not finally), I’m reading that the weak spot of the G2 is the controllers. I’m guessing controllers can’t be mixed and matched - I can’t buy a superior controller and use it with the G2, correct?

You can. However, all actual WMR controllers are a bit crap, it seems. Supposedly the G2 controllers are the best ones, despite their limitations. The “good” news is you can use WMR headsets with the Index’s excellent Knuckles controllers, but you need to have/buy the base stations too. So you’re basically adding £500 to the cost unless you already bought an Index.

Also, if you’re primarily playing ETS/ATS/MSFS, you won’t be using VR controllers at all.