VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Understood. My 2nd-hand CV1 was the base model too – one tracking station, the headset, and that stupid little dongle thing. Having to shell out for at least another tracking station AND the controllers pretty much got the CV1 delegated to “meh, it’s okay once in a while” status.

Having the full meal deal with the Quest 2 has completely changed my opinion on VR gaming. It totally opened things up.

As for Facebook, well, I’ve just lived through 4 years of a Trump “presidency”. Having Omnissiah Zuck finger my butthole doesn’t bother me that much.

Thanks everyone. I love seeing what people are enjoying.

I’ve never even heard of this, but several of you listed it. Is there something that makes this game special?

How do you like the table tennis? Do you play mostly against the CPU? I’m trying to find a good intuitive “sports” game that friends can play, but also a game with some depth.

I generally play Population One at the moment, but I have a thin friend list in VR. I’d be all about Echo Arena or Combat, wouldn’t mind trying Settlers of Catan

I ordered mine pretty much for MSFS and ETS2 /ATS. I also bought one of the new IL-2 games (Stalin grad maybe). I’m sure I’ll pick up Alyx but what other sim type games am I missing? Is Squadrons good really?

It’s the closest video game recreation of a real sport I have ever tried. It’s a lot better with the 90hz support on the Quest 2 now too, 72 was pushing it for such a fast paced game. (currently in beta but should be out in public any day now)

I have a slower Quest 1 but I’m still interested.

I kind of regret gifting Piston Whip to someone on his new Quest 2 because now I kind of want to play it and I’m not sure I want to buy it twice!

Archery in VR is really cool and In Death to my mind is the best archery game.

It helps that it is a procedurally generated rogue-like style game, with a Dark Souls kind of vibe to the atmosphere.

Sweet, I really like the game but the 72Hz was just not good enough for me.

It’s still playable at 72, but I used to play pretty seriously and once you get the velocity up into the range of real games (players standing back 5 or 10 feet) it’s so fast it’s hard to react. It’s still uncanny though!

If they ever actually enable 120 hz on the Quest 2 this is one game that could really take advantage.

I read some reviews and I was a bit disturbed how many table tennis enthusiasts there are out there! And they all loved it, I should add.

That or tennis seem like they would be really fun in VR.

I think you could do a very accurate tennis simulation, so good you could really learn to play, but nobody has put in the effort because you’d need a huge empty room to play it that almost nobody has. And tennis isn’t that popular, I guess. You could automate movement but that’s more like a batting cage than a sim. You would also need to attach a controller to a real racquet. Even for table tennis the game supports an adapter with a real handle.

Oh Walkabout mini golf is a really solid multiplayer sports game, perfect for hanging out with friends.

Yes it is.

For il2, if you liked what you saw but want more familiar names, planes and scenery, get bodenplatte.

I’m still playing against the cpu, because the last time I played it in real life was almost 20 years ago, and were just a handful of informal games with friends without knowing how to play. In other words I’m bad and I’m earning now by myself. But it’s fun.
When/if I can be the AI consistently at skill 30, I will start playing against other players.

I read good opinions about it, it’s cross buy and it’s cheap. Now I only need friends with VR! :P

I am super excited about Star Wars Squadrons on the G2. However, I might dip into other flight sims too. You recently commented about flying around for 20 minutes for a bit of pew pew. I am hoping for a much higher ratio of pew pew. For example, I will never get into Microsoft Flight. Back in the day I enjoyed Lucas Arts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and could maybe get behind some historical VR dog fighting. Should I look at something given my pew-pew leaning? I tried Il-2 flat screen once upon a time and found it way too fiddly for my tastes.

With similar concerns, I just got Elite Dangerous for free on Epic. Will that work for VR and should I look into it? Each video I watch looks dreadfully slow for my tastes.

Don’t see why it wouldn’t work. By slow do you mean the combat itself, or the game as a whole? Certainly the meat and potatoes of Elite is space trucking, and slow, but if you just want to dogfight you can do that all day long right from the get-go, just find a low intensity conflict zone and pew pew away.

War Thunder. My best recommendation for a high pew-pew/faffing about ratio. And looks gorgeous in VR.

Yeah, it is the “space trucking” thing. When I watch streams it seems like endless nothing as folks just sit there. If there is a straight to combat part of the game, that could be neat as long at it doesn’t get hamstrung by some macro economics such as the space trucking being necessary to buy the ship that is used for the pew-pew mode.

@scharmers I have looked at War Thunder. It looks interesting. I am not tracking on how the game mixes tanks and planes. Also the World of Tanks type monetization has me afraid of either the financial rabbit hole or possible pay to win elements.

I guess in both of these examples it is partially clear why I am so keen on Star Wars Squadrons. It is instant action with no other time or wallet demands. Plus it is oozing childhood nostalgia. Then again, I have GREAT memories of after school sessions with my buddy as we set up scenarios in the map editor. We would then use my 80’s level, two button, PC joystick to battle it out with 109s, 110s, p-39s, and p-51s with the occasional flying wing tossed in. One of my early VR highs was playing Eve Valkyrie while flying one of its heavy fighters that had a dual gun configuration. Afterwards I talked it out on the phone with the same school friend about how cool it was in VR, with terrain rushing by, to time out adding the much more limited cannon rounds with the wing mount main rounds like in our SWotL days.

Isn’t that MP, ftp, and a terrible time sink? Or can you play and have a lot of fun in spite of that?
I hate MP games where I’m just the village idiot bullet sponge (which is all of them).