VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

It depends on how much you chase the rabbit. Don’t chase the rabbit.

I do not chase the rabbit at all. I pretty much fly the low-tier planes and have a good time. I occasionally get enough quatloos to upgrade to a “better” plane, and I try that.

It’s less MP than you think. Battles are populated by bots when the player count is low. This means you’re not the unending victim of 420_Voss_von_Richtoffen who plays the game 24/7. And if you play a few battles in different aircraft nationalities, you open up “dynamic campaigns” which are bot fights.

You can safely ignore boats and tanks if you wish.

WT is basically the 90s style kick the tires and light the fires sim, but it’s buried under a ridiculous amount of monetization. You just have to ignore that part.

Was there an article that said people who ordered the G2 Reverb before mid October would have their headset December 10?

I pre-ordered one Sept 29, but I’ve (quite literally) had my finger on the “cancel order” button every day since… a bit scared and not sure I could actually justify that kind of expense. My only experience with VR was in the hospital on whatever the first Oculus VR headset was, so the experience there was pretty poor. But it served my purpose well aiding in nerve damage rehabilitation.

Oh nice! I wish Star Wars Battlefront did that so you could do a 100% bot battle.

That was specifically for the UK

I ordered mine August 1st. It arrived today.

Quest 2 instead?

Ooh! Impressions please!

You have a nice system with a 3080 so you actually could use the G2, though it’s insanely hard to argue with the value of the Quest 2. For $300 it’s just an insane bargain now that the Link cable quality is improved. And that’s not even counting the wireless/standalone stuff!

First impression: As a newb, I didn’t know I needed an additional cable for Thunderbolt 3 to Displayport. I think I -am- safe with the TB3 since it looks tied to my RTX2080. That’s the big hurdle. But as of yet, I can’t use things.

Impressions to come later.

I’m old, I like ’ em slow. Well, not exactly as I prefer to go mach 1.84 at angels 30, but I really like my twenty minutes of trudging along. Sometimes I even forego the pew pew for some more flying along.

To each their own, non?

Reverb impressions after a few days:

The clarity is worth every penny for flight sims.

The controllers have worked fine in all the games I’ve tried. I’m sure on a 1:1 comparison there are other controllers with better precision, fewer blind spots, etc. but in practice it hasn’t been an issue with any game I’ve tried.

Only complaint is SteamVR ecosystem when not using Oculus equipment. I’ve only had Oculus VR equipment until now, and the biggest argument in its favor is that it just works. No configuration, no quirks, just plug it in and go. Stuff written for the DK2 still works on the Rift S, for the most part. All but the earliest SteamVR stuff recognizes you might be using a Rift instead of a Vive, so most of that just works too.

But while the Reverb G2 controllers pretty much mirror the Rift controllers in functionality and button placement, games and SteamVR aren’t smart about that. My son went to play Walking Dead last night and it told him to hit a non-existent button to switch between standing and sitting. So I figured out how to customize a button and programmed that. Got past that and then he could point at menu items, but not select them. He ended up just playing some Contractors until he got motion sick and then quit for the night. Afterwards, I was able to find a controller profile in the SteamVR software for the Reverb G2 and Walking Dead, but it wasn’t easy, or obvious, nor is it something I want someone to have to deal with when selecting a new game to play in VR.

It’s like the worst part of using a HOTAS with flight sims, brought to the consumer-friendly VR genre.

SteamVR should have a controller profile for your current device and just automatically map that to the game. I mean, yay, at least you can customize things now (apparently it used to be even worse), but this should be under the hood unless you choose to create a custom profile.

(Anyone interested in a mint-condition Rift S setup? Not as sharp visually as the Reverb G2, but cheaper, it just works, and ships from me tomorrow. :)

Can you post some details then? I have no idea about the WMR ecosystem, and it’s stuff like this that has me most anxious.

I honestly wouldnt buy any VR system just starting out other than the Quest 2. Very inexpensive for what you get but very nice unteathered headset. You can then see if you like VR, if your eyes and your inner ear can deal with VR, can try it tethered to a PC and see if you can handle that type of setup. For $299, unbeatable intro and for me and my daughter, it’s all we need.

What’s all this then? I am also a newb. What all do I need that’s not in the box? I don’t think I have a thunderbird cable.

Have you tried Beat Saber with the G2 controllers? Is the tracking good there?

My G2 is expected to arrive tomorrow. I am planning on swooping up as many of my favorite PSVR games via a hopeful Steam Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale in the next week. Beat Saber will be one of them.

@scharmers I took a peek at some War Thunder VR stuff in a few videos. Okay, that looks really tempting. I suppose it is free to look at (and that, my friends, is how they get you!!!). Is there a cliffs notes version of what the default games comes with or if there is a good WWII era starter pack? Is this going to be one of those games where I can get a BF-109, but mine is the free, bronze/ 1 star one, and the platinum/ 5 star ones are 8000% better but take 500 hours or $16.99 to unlock? I think my PS4 HOTAS 4 came with something for a P-39 unlock, but maybe that’s just PS4. Do the games mix eras or sides? It would be weird to fly a BF-109E against a FW-190 or an F-16.

Planes are broken down into tiers & nationalities.

You start off with one tier I aircraft in each nationality. Everything after that is grind or money. Additional tier I aircraft are easy to acquire (and upgrade their parts), gets grindier/more expensive after that.

There are “gold aircraft”, ignore those.

As far as mixing, the click-to-play arcade battles mix up all the aircraft of a particular tier. However, there are also “historical” battles, but you’ll need to grind/buy aircraft at tier III or higher, I think?

After that, I don’t know. I don’t plan on spending a penny on the game at the moment. Grinding out the tier I aircraft is fun enough, and if I feel the need to go whole hog, I’ll just go back to Il2 BoX (I have all the addons except Normandy).

I would recommend picking up the BoX games when they are sale (and only then). You can actually dumb them down enough controls-wise to make them playable for non-piccolo enthusiasts.

Don’t pick up DCS because it is not finished, will never be finished, and relies on a predatory EA program where aircraft are released far too early and take too long to see actual release shape. I’d rather spend spend money on WT. (Cue angery schurem noises)

I’m a laptop gamer. It’s a toss up if I can get a VR headset to work. My backup plan after Christmas and better availability is a gaming PC setup. So getting this working now is cool, if it does.

But laptops are tight on space and ports. Mine does not have a display port. That’s right on the box for requirements, along with a USB-C port.

The fix for mine specifically is a Thunderbolt3 to Displayport 1.4 adapter.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah, Beat Saber was fine, at least for my old-guy-with-no-rhythm skills. And I was playing the Oculus versions under ReVive. (The feedback did work, BTW, someone asked about that earlier.)

I’ve been swamped with work and haven’t had a chance to use the G2 again, so can’t report back on the controller binding procedure yet. But once I figured out that you need to do it, it’s pretty straightforward, and you only need to do it once per game.

It’s just that that’s one more time than you SHOULD have to do it. :)

Adam digs the Oculus Quest 2. And… when did Adam get so old?