VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

A new violent id game in VR coming (Doom Eternal VR??)
https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/project-2021a

Also, some clues of pc vr code in the Hitman 3 files
https://imgur.com/a/TcmtRYI

I guess there is some officially acknowledge bug creating lost frames or stutter in Steam VR for any Nvidia drivers newer than 446.14 (May 2020). I have noticed some hiccups so I went back the 446.14 to see if it improves anything noticeably. Has anyone looked into this? It sounds like the last patch or two is moving in the right direction, but things are still bugged. This weekend, I plan to experiment with 446.14 and upping my SteamVR resolution past 50% to see if I can get even better performance on the Reverb G2 + 2080ti overall.

What app are you running?

I rolled back to 457.30 based on advice on the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum. (The latest VR-friendly drivers that are compatible with the 3080.) Haven’t run into any issues and will stick to them until I hear that this issue has been fully resolved.

First time in… well, ever… that I haven’t run the latest drivers. It’s uncomfortable. :)

Today I bought two games for my Quest. Dash Dash Racing and Blaston.

Dash Dash Racing devs released several tracks after release, improved graphics and 90hz for the Quest 2, new immersive controls with a virtual wheel, cross buy with the Oculus store and cross-platform in multiplayer. They have extensive tutorials, achievements, unlockables, comfort options, etc.
And after all that, I ended up refunding it. It’s… well, I guess it’s that I don’t find the core game that fun. It isn’t bad, but it is just… fine? The controls and physics are not satisfying, and dunno, I feel the concept of arcade kart didn’t translate as well as one could imagine. Ymmv. So despite wanting to reward the devs for the support, it didn’t make sense for me to own it.

On the other hand I’m happy with Blaston. It’s a simple as hell game, 1vs1 shooting each other with an arsenal of ‘slow bullet’ weapons. That’s it. But it’s well executed, it’s fun, and I can see how it fits on my daily exercise routine of Beat Saber + something else (it could be Eleven TT, or Until You Fall, or this one).

Do the older drivers create any performance issues in other games? Or limit things like ray tracing on the 3080?

No idea. I am also running 457.30. I’m getting good frame rates in MSFS and great frame rates in IL-2.

Mainly you lose the update they did for Cyberpunk 2077. Which I’m playing on my Series X anyway, so that doesn’t affect me.

It’s supposed to be a stutter or some dropped frames in Steam VR. I rolled back the driver and after some time this weekend I can’t really say I noticed much. However the bug was acknowledged by Nvidia so it must be a thing. I dunno.

I know this isn’t news to anyone here who already has a VR rig, but for the first couple days I had just played Beat Saber and ping-pong and a couple animated movies and it was cool but not ridiculous. I just tried The Room VR and it’s amazing how drawn-in I got. I have Alyx but haven’t fired it up yet. What other stuff gives the same kind of sense of place? For right now I’m less concerned with the gameplay and more with the ambiance.

A flight sim. DCS for example. It’s free to try, but the better planes cost money.

Elite Dangerous (space sim) is pretty good too.

Yep Elite Dangerous has an incredible sense of scale. You really don’t understand how big the ships are until you are inside one in VR.

Agree with everyone else on Elite Dangerous. Half Life Alyx for sure. Boneworks because the reactive physics really feels different than everything that came before it. Believe it or not Minecraft VR (Java/Vivecraft but also bedrock) has an incredible sense of place, one of the best. Lone Echo. Skyrim or Fallout if you take the time to setup a wabbajack VR modpack.

If you have a Quest 2, and you have a large paly area, install SideQuest and Tea For God. The gameplay is very much in beta but the method of locomotion is incredible. You just walk around your real room but it feels like you have infinite space. The game will adapt to even small spaces but the illusion is much more convincing if you start in a giant room.

Minecraft is pretty enthralling. So too No Man’s Sky. :)
Maybe Paper Beasts, Lone Echo, Red Matter.

I put many hours into this game last week, and plan to spend many more this week. One day I walked a mile and a half in a 10’ x 12’ space in my living room. Great game in the making.

This weekend I was playing Karnage Chronicles with a friend in co-op. During our session he (as a new VR owner) was so amazed with the experience. He said dungeon crawling was a totally different experience in VR and (sort of) joked that D&D should get on it. I highly rate it as a rather immersive fantasy crawl experience.

Season Pass for Echo VR
https://www.oculus.com/blog/ready-at-dawn-announces-echo-pass-letting-you-earn-rewards-playing-echo-vr/

New BMBF released
https://bmbf.dev/stable

Gravity Sketch is now free
https://www.gravitysketch.com/blog/articles/gravity-sketch-will-soon-be-free/

The Walking Dead S&S did $29M on 2020

Which removing the usual 30% cut from stores, it’s $20.3 millions. Not bad.

I bought Everspace and Elite: Dangerous last night and I just spent a couple hours in Elite and it’s pretty fantastic. I also bought a VKB Gladiator which hopefully will get here some time in the next couple weeks.

very good choice sir, if I may say so! Might I recommend you give Flying Circus a shot when you have that sitting on your desk? Or perhaps planes that do enclose you a bit more and have a little more aeronautical experience behind their creation, such as the ones DCS (free to try) and Il-2 offer?

I do have IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad which I’ve flown around a bit in and certainly enjoy. Flying Circus is on my radar, and I’ll definitely give it, along with DCS, a shot later this year. I’m hoping VKB eventually makes a similarly high quality throttle to complete my setup.

I’m pretty sure I’ll end up preferring WWI/II era simulators over the ridiculously complex modern stuff, but we’ll see. How easy are they to control in VR? Are you able to map everything to the HOTAS or do you still need to utilize the keyboard or a button box?

I must say I’m really impressed by Elite’s VR interface. Lots of complexity, but all navigable just by looking side to side and utilizing hat switches.