VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is being updated. Now you can order your crew around with your voice. In single player. No longer do you just look like an idiot to you family and friends, flailing around with a box on your face. You can sound like an idiot too!

I messed around with this and it’s pretty cool. Some things I wish I could do:

Plot a heading based on degrees. That was you could steer around things like space mines.

Ask the Engineer for a status/damage report

Instead of just saying attack target, how about “lock phasers”. And “fire”.

I think they need a tutorial as it’s not completely intuitive.

So Facebook’s response was ‘Haha buy a new one’. One month out of warranty. No repair option, just buy a new one.

Oh yeah, that’s fucking going to happen. Why would I buy again from a company that just gave me the middle finger.

Now I am out the money for Touch + the software I bought on the Oculus store. Luckily I preferred Steam thank god, but we are still talking about a few hundreds dollars.

Vive, in comparison, didn’t fuck me over when I had issues with it.

Mars 2030 comes out on the 11th. Seems to be promising quite a lot for $15, but it looks like one to keep an eye on.

You can at least continue to run most of those Oculus titles on the Vive with ReVive.

I have used ReVive before with decent results, so you are correct for the most part.

Still, doesn’t change my anger level. I am cooling down a bit and will be posting on Reddit and a couple of other forums soon so people know they are SOL if something breaks with Oculus.

For sure. Doesn’t mean Facebook / Oculus weren’t shitty to you. just preserves some of your investment,

When I hear a story like yours it makes me happy that I got a Vive. Fuck Facebook. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Appreciate the commiseration!

I liked having both head sets, one for room scale and one for sit down, but if I can only have one it’s definitely the Vive.

Damn that sucks. :( Scary.

I’m very sympathetic as I know how it feels to have expensive hardware break down just after warranty (happened twice with expensive gpus).

With that said, is Facebook acting exceptionally here? My experience with companies is that if it’s out of warranty then tough luck you’re on your own. Amazon is the only place I know of that has the reputation of helping you out despite the warranty lapsing (with their kindles).

I have never had a company tell me to buy a new one for an expensive piece of equipment. They always offer a repair service, or at least a discount on a new one. Consoles, TVs, etc they all offer something.

I was at most expecting to pay a reasonable amount for a repair. Actually I was expecting to pay zero because it just failed right out of warranty and every company I deal with likes to keep their customers happy. However, I girded myself against the possibility of paying something.

What I didn’t expect is to have pay a full retail price which includes two more sensors I have zero use for. Their next closest competitor, HTC Vive, offers a discounted repair if it falls out of warranty btw.

I picked up a few VR titles during the Steam sale (Redout and Everspace) and in the process of trying them out, I got my first look at the new, configurable Vive Home environment. I had a great time messing around with objects then I wanted to try the quests so I loaded up the Plane Wing environment and first thing I see when it loads…

“THIS IS A JEW FREE ZONE” and a huge swastika flag scribbled on the side of the plane. So I left because people are the worst.

Anyone else had better luck? Is it worth trying again?

Also, Rich, welcome to the VR club and I TOTALLY commiserate about freaking out when a voice starts talking to you. Happened to me while playing pool in (what is now known as) Sportsbar VR. I thought I’d try a multiplayer game… wasn’t expecting to see a headset visor and two hands floating around the room in front of me and a guy talking as if he was standing in my house. NOPE. I quit out and never went back.

I’m sure some game will get me to try multiplayer VR but, man, is it weird.

Anyone tried Google’s modeling software called Blocks yet? Looks intriguing and it’s free.

Neighbor just got a Vive and wants me to come by to check it out. What are all of your top suggestions? All I’ve ever done in vr before are some basic oculus tech demos.

Google Earth is my top pick, but I’d definitely make sure to check out something that takes advantage of room scale. Job Simulator has been the favorite of my friends, and the free Waltz of the Wizard is a neat demo as well.

My feeling about VR is that it is really neat, but I would still rather try to reduce the number of gadgets I own (especially big ones), not increase it. Ideally, VR headsets would serve a dual purpose, combining current Rift features with Google Glass for instance.

Absolutely they are acting exceptionally! I can’t think of anything else you’d spend north of $500 on and have no repair option.

Saitek pulled that shit on me when my X52 died out of warranty and they had no repair option. Lost a customer for life, and I made damn sure a few thousand potential customers on social media knew about that treatment too. (Coda: Saitek has since been acquired by Logitech, so I would imagine their policy is no longer as crappy.)

That’s absolutely unacceptable with a product in that price range, and I’d be escalating it with the Oculus support team, and if they can’t make good somehow, I’d be in touch with the gaming media.

Fair enough… Are there any third party companies that do repair services? It’s probably too small and new a market for that. Maybe you could also sell it on ebay to recoup some of the losses?

I read the exact same story on the Vive subreddit. So I’m guessing that you aren’t alone.

Shape Lab. The Lab. NVIDIA VR Funhouse. Star Trek Bridge Crew.

It’s funny. Of all the people here I would have thought that you would have some sort of VR set up already.

Hah yeah if you asked me a year ago I would’ve been 100% certain I’d own a VR headset by now. But in the last year my gaming PC blew up, today I’m mostly just playing console games and handheld games, and don’t really feel the urge to buy or build a new gaming PC quite yet. At this point I’m pretty happy waiting for the next set of VR headsets to come out, especially if wireless becomes a credible thing by then.