VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Pretty much. Which is a weird area for Facebook/Oculus to play in, frankly. What’s their competitive advantage there? The displays? They’re not in-house anyway, are they?

It seems like a product without a customer. Who are they aiming for?

Do iPhones have any VR stuff? Maybe this is intended for iPhone owners who have only been able to gaze longingly at their Android friends flapping around on virtual beaches.

iPhone has the basic google cardboard support.

Apparently mobile VR is selling much better than desktop, so maybe they are moving away from the desktop space?

Going by what I’m hearing, most people are focusing on mobile and arcade VR for the next year.

It’s unfortunately where vr is headed I think which sucks because that means the technology will forever be limited. It’s just much easier to ask someone to spend 20 bucks for a shitty experience on their phone than it is to ask them to drop a grand on a computer and then another 500 or so bucks on the vr tech. I think PSVR has half a chance just because so many homes already are halfway there with their PS4, but the low hanging fruit is the mobile play. The trick is to somehow gateway drug them with the cheap stuff.

Broke down and ordered a Rift this morning, with a third sensor. So much for waiting for the next generation.

I am so weak

PSVR has half a chance

Is there much talk of the Xbox One X in the VR community? Will it be the first console to be able to power something like a Vive or Rift?

Anyone run into Steam VR not seeing the rift? I’m getting headset not detected. The error is 108 I believe.

Only if the headset isn’t in the field of view from the sensors.

Just as a caveat, I try re-connecting every USB and plug for the rift and then rebooting. That USUALLY fixes my issue. Sometimes the power management for certain USB ports makes it go a little weird.

Instead of rebooting you can restart the Oculus service in services.msc or I think the client has a restart option now too maybe.

Got it working, thanks. Only hopped into Elite for a couple minutes to have a quick look, but it sure looks nice.

Just thought I’d throw in another mention for the Echo Arena beta which you can get for free for the first three months after release on 7/20. No one seemed to care about the thread :/

It’s a very high quality production, the game itself is basically ender’s game mixed with hockey/soccer, it’s got a pretty high player count so far for a vr game, and it was like the only thing reddit was talking about for a while on /r/Oculus. Even if you don’t think you’d like the gameplay, it’s worth checking out just to try the tutorial and the motion mechanics and the insane robot arms and body you get. Beta is live now until sometime around 7/17 and is free

Does this include the all-in-one headsets that are being worked on?

I’m going to try that out. I’ve heard nothing but praise

This was mostly from game devs, not hardware companies. Arcade is profitable but limited in scope, and mobile has a huge install base. Desktop VR versions seem to be a secondary platform or absent.

There are several roller coasters out here that have VR headsets on them. Aside from the fact that you’re already on a disorienting ride, I’m guessing that they don’t sanitize them after each use. So, ick.

What the hell? The $400 deal is back. I thought I was safe.

Do it!

The new controller Valve is working on seems interesting:

https://www.vrheads.com/valve-knuckles-controllers