VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Excellent!

'Sfunny. At the start of this thread I was thinking that I’d never own a VR unit. It was something interesting to think about. Sort of like what would it be like to be on the space station or the moon. And slowly it seemed to be more within my reach. Then, bam, there I go. Now I’m cheering for the new arrivals.

I’d still like to walk on the moon. Oh well, baby steps. :)

I’m bummed to see Doom VFR and Fallout 4 seem to be vive exclusive hopefully that changes before they come out.

Only way that happens is if Bethesda win Oculus in the lawsuit.

I’ve determined that the only VR games I want to play at this time would be House of the Dying Sun and maybe Assetto Corsa (race sim) if it works well for that.

It doesn’t seem worth it as someone who no longer dabbles in lots of little games.

Assetto is awesome in VR! The main problem I had with it is that the front end/UI is not navigable using the wheel, so between sessions you need to fumble for a mouse or keyboard.

Dirt Rally and Project Cars are great examples of how to do that properly.

It’s worth it if you like cockpit games/sims… as well as the racers you got Elite, IL-2, DCS, Eurotruck and more.

Yes, the Move controllers on the PSVR are not not even close to the Vive or Oculus Touch. It’s quite limiting.

Apparently the Rift will retail at a base price of $499, once the current $399 sale ends.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Finally tried a bunch of VR at my neighbor’s house, and damn is it so freaking cool. Even just Job Simulator was kind of blowing my mind. I got used to within minutes and it even tricked my brain to the point where I was trying to kick around things that landed on the floor!

Even something “simple” like the way the Vive controllers are mapped within the virtual world is just crazy impressive. The way they’re so accurate that I can bump them into each other and they show up nearly perfectly.

Played a slew of new (to me) VR experiences today.

Echo Arena beta - Rocket League VR in zero G, basically. Really well done, but I suck at it and clearly always will, just as I do at Rocket League. I’m really looking forward to the single player side of Lone Echo, though.

Mission: ISS - this is more my sort of zero G experience. Given that it’s free, it’s really nice. And, you know, space!

Batman: Arkham VR - this would be an amazing game if it were 10 times as long. as it is, it’s basically five simple adventure game sets, with some cool Batman flavour and extremely high production values.

So am I correct in thinking that I have to download a separate VR version of Elite Dangerous and delete the non VR version as well? So I can only play it with VR?

When I bought it I got both steam and oculus store keys but i don’t know if they are still doing that.

I dont think so. It should just work out the box and detect you have a headset in. You MAY have to turn on the VR in options but I think the version is universal.

Doesn’t seem like it. Checked their website and couldn’t find anything about downloading a special VR version.

Incorrect. Any version works in VR. I recommend using the Frontier version though.

Robo Recall was a revelation. The touch controllers are glorious, and becoming adept at the teleport system was exercising parts of my brain untouched by non-VR games. Three sensor tracking was a breeze to set-up and ‘just worked’. Lost half a day to that and Superhot.

Gotta say though, I was pretty unhappy with the Rift at first. Didn’t realize how pronounced the ‘screen door’ effect would be. Also- I’d assumed images would take up the entirety of your vision, but it’s not even close to filling the peripheries.

For people doing room scale how annoying are the cables? Looking forward to the touch controllers arriving on Tuesday

For Oculus? Easy. Its just another sensor you put on your desk and you are done.

Well the third sensor needs to be farther away, preferably up in the back corner looking down. Vive sensors are easier they just need power, they don’t need to be USB into the computer itself.