VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

It’s pretty freaky. Cowering under tables as this massive slathering thing is hunting you. Then when it finds you … my god, you can almost feel it rip you apart. :)

The only time I ever had to rip the thing off my head out of terror was in DCS World when I got exploded for the first time. Going suddenly from comfortable cockpit to open sky was enough for me.

Amazon is tricksy! First I languish for weeks without a ship date for my Rift, then they send me a notice that say “We’re sorry, the ship date is August 27th. Please confirm you would still like the product”.

I say yes, and I get a shipping notification the very next day. Should be arriving tomorrow (Wednesday). I thought I had more time to figure out exactly where I wanted to set this thing up. :)

This is some pilgrims progress shit right here. You passed the latest test of faith!

I pulled the trigger on a Rift this morning. I’m keen to see the improvements over my DK2.

it’s quite noticeable

Clarity, screen-door, weight/comfort, ease of use/setup - all significantly imrpoved. And of course there’s the touch, which is brilliant.

The CV1 screen is better, especially with supersampling… but it has some downgrades too like the god rays on contrasting images. I think it’s also dimmer but I only notice that when I first put it on, presumably my eyes adjust.

But the tracking and touch is so much better. I don’t think we should even call things that don’t have touch VR. Literally the first thing anyone ever does when they try a headset is put their hand in front of their face.

So I have had a weekend to play around with my rift. First off the technology for 1st generation is fucking amazing. I was a little worried about screen door effect, low quality graphics, all the things people are complaining about. Sure they’re there but to my eyes nowhere near as bad as I was worried they might be, once I start playing they are totally forgotten. The little movie at the start of Robo recall was fantastic. Dirt Rally is great (but short burst due to VR disease). The game selection definitely needs to improve. I have Elite which I will tackle after summer is over as I need to relearn the game, hotas setup all while being blindfolded so that will be after summer when I have more time. Still trying to decide my feelings on Google Earth, it is neat but I was expecting it to look a little better than it is. Super Hot and Lone Echo will probably be my next two purchases. Any other must haves?

SuperHot VR is probably my favorite VR game, though Robo Recall is pretty close.

Anyone know of a good dog fighting game for the rift? The cheaper the better. (Top Gun not Michael Vic)

I hear War Thunder is pretty good. Not a huge fan of the game, but the VR is solid.

As always, the answer is Elite Dangerous.

What are people setting for supersampling? I’ve been trying 1.5, but I think I might drop it down to 1.4 or 1.3 (running a gtx 1070).

I start with 1.5 on everything but I just upgraded my video card. It really depends on the game. I wish this stuff was automatic. Just choose 45 frames with time warp, or 90 frames without, and let it automatically find the highest value to preserve that minimum.

You’re talking about dynamic resolution, which a lot of games do today to maintain performance. The difficulty (I imagine) would be baking this into the Oculus API rather than have the game engine handle it. But hey, they got Carmack…!

IL-2 works this way, have you tried that? Frame rates can vary widly depending what’s on screen so to maintain frame rate it can dynamically change resoution (as well as draw distance settings). It’s not changing ‘supersampling’ per se but practically the same thing. I played with it, but ended up disabling it as it was distracting to me to have the visuals getting sharper and blurrier all the time. Mostly noticeable when turning on the HUD which inexplicably kills frames in that game.

*Btw, Space warp is the frame motion interpolation tech that lets you drop to 45. Time warp is the tech that accounts for head rotation and keeps head motion smooth regardless of in-game frame rate.

I have a 1080 and run at 1.3 I think. The performance hit for higher isn’t worth it.

Elite Dangerous has two built in supersampling settings - “supersampling” and “HMD quality”. :P

Pretty sure ‘HMD quality’ is the one that changes the Oculus pixel density setting, and the other is the game’s internal rendering resolution multipler.

I’ve seen various claims that reducing the in-game one to .75 and increasing the HMD quality to 1.5 or higher is optimal, but never really sure what to do with these!

That sort of thing doesn’t really bother me, and I get zero motion sickness from FPS games, but I got pretty dizzy after riding a few coasters in NoLimits2. I’d just about kill at this point for VR support in Planet Coaster.

Subnautica is pretty amazing in VR

Oh man, I can’t believe I didn’t mention this. Subnautica IS pretty amazing in VR