VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Speculation is it’s going to be a resolution upgrade, based on a teaser they released. Kind of a 1.5, not a full 2.0 release:

I’m happy about anything that shows money is still going into the hardware.

It really needs inside-out tracking too, if they can combine that with higher resolution I will just be waiting for the right price point to jump aboard.

If it could include a bigger living room I’d be right there with you.

I’m keeping my expectations in check. I think it will just be a “fidelity” upgrade to the headset itself. Same or almost the same form factor, such that you can use all of your accessories with it.

The bundle price with the new headset will go back up to 800, and you’ll be able to purchase the headset by itself for whatever the price of the bundle is right now (400?).

We’ll see if I’m right. :)

Thanks for the Soundboxing and Gorn recommendations! With these frigid temperatures and holiday hams, I really needed to get off my ass and move around a little and both titles are a blast. I also got Ultrawings (thanks, Tom!) and Superhot for the holiday sale so I’m in good shape with awesome new VR experiences.

I use my Vive a ton but I’m usually sitting down, not standing. I love using Virtual Desktop to play traditional 2D games with a gamepad or mouse.

I kick my feet up on a pillow, tilt all the way back in my reclining chair with my head against the top of the chair or a headrest, then I load up Virtual Desktop. I set up a gigant-o, IMAX-style screen floating at an angle high above me and far away. Position it so the edges of the screen are just at the edges of my peripheral vision, curve the screen to taste, then load up a game. It’s just awesome.

I honestly don’t know why this isn’t discussed more often as a virtue of gaming with a VR headset. It’s a really versatile piece of hardware that continues to surprise me with something new about once every month or two. I can’t wait to try the next gen.

I just ordered the deluxe audio strap for Vive. Somehow I missed it back when it came out in June. Did anyone get one?

Blade Runner 9732 is out. It’s a VR tour of Deckard’s apartment. The scaling is off and the movement controls are awkward (this was made by a single developer, so gotta let things slide), but the balcony view, complete with Vangelis music and the requisite heavy rain, makes it worth checking out.

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08/htc-vive-raises-bar-premium-vr-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

Looks like they are coming out with their own wireless adapter. I wonder what that will do to the tpcast folks.
No details yet on the new resolution of the pro (I can’t read good, but I’m, like, very smart)

Yeah, it was in the article:

• resolution of 2880 x 1600 combined, a 78% increase in resolution over the current Vive HMD. (up from 2160x1200)
  • integrated, high-performance headphones with a built-in amplifier
  • new headstrap, including a sizing dial for balance that decreases weight on the front of the headset.
  • dual microphones with active noise cancellation
  • dual front-facing cameras

Plus their new software, which includes proper previews of games (basically little bespoke demos)! Something I wish Oculus would do. Other than that the new software seems way below what Oculus has done for their v2 dash though.

So who here with a Vive is upgrading?

That Vive wireless adapter will be mine.

I’ve been holding off playing more of Fallout 4 until my computer upgrade arrives, but I spent some more time with it last night and it’s really a terrific experience.

• I’ve had the Rift for almost half a year now, but VR still makes something as routine as shooting starter flies and rats satisfying.
  • Everything’s blurrier than 2D, but maybe because I’m more motivated to look around and gawk, I’ve noticed details in the museum I hadn’t come across in my thousands of restarts.
  • Rift controls are bad but tolerable. I hate clicking on the thumbsticks so I’ve mapped the A/X buttons to do the clicking instead. The downside is that alot of the controls require a direction + click, which means that I had to map the right hand button with the left hand stick, and vice versa. The only part that still trips me up is the scrolling in the settlement build menu.
  • Performance is surprisingly decent on my decrepit R290 (with forced 45fps ASW), though I haven’t been to Diamond city yet.
  • Most mods reportedly work and DLC compatibility is getting there, but I haven’t gone down that rabbithole yet.
  • Still lots of glitches like rain not being occluded indoors or scopes not working, hopefully upcoming patch this month (?) will fix them.

As someone who brought the Rift primarily for Fallout VR, I am not disappoint.

Why didn’t you buy Vive, since Fallout 4 VR isn’t really supporting Rift?

Anyway, your report is tempting me… has anyone tried this, which apparently is looking to fix some of the issues when using Rift controllers (emulate trackpad behaviour using Touch analogue sticks)?

Fallout VR is such an interesting experience. Every complaint leveled at the game is pretty much correct, but for me the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. It took me a little bit to get the performance tweaked and to get used to the controls and at first I was sort of meh on it. The last few nights, however, have been some of the most fun I’ve had gaming. So intense to have feral ghouls come jumping out of windows at you. The combat took a bit to click for me, but now I’m having a great time with it. Even killing Blood Flies and mole rats is satisfying.

I find myself walking more and fast traveling less than I did with the flat version of the game as it’s just so fun to explore.

After the first couple of hours of playing I wasn’t convinced I was going to keep at it. I didn’t particularly love the game when I played it over the summer (despite Fallout 3 being one of my all time favorites) and I was focusing more jankiness of the game initially. Now I find myself completely immersed and having strange fallout induced dreams.

Anyway, mod installation is pretty painless and I have installed a few. One to get rid of the stars as that’s done terribly in VR and another one that adds tracers to all bullets so I can see what’s going on more easily.

Yeah, I’m using that input emulator right now. (apparently today’s steamvr update breaks the emulator, so will probably have to wait for an update.) Works as well as can be expected.

I brought the Rift because I was looking for a bigger monitor, and then the Rift went on sale for just a bit more than the monitor I was looking at and I got suckered ;) I love the idea of VR in general anyway, and the gamebryo/creation engine games just happen to be my favorite line of games (warts and all.)

Hmmm can also roll back the SteamVR update!

AppID 250820
Depot 250821
Manifest 541303097680508816

edit: apparently dev is waiting for an SDK update, before he can update:

The newest SteamVR version uses an updated driver interface, but the OpenVR SDK hasn’t been updated yet. As long as the SDK isn’t updated, I cannot get Input Emulator working with the newest version. I already opened an isue on the openvr issue tracker, so for now we can only wait for an SDK update.

Anyone able to get this working in a Rift? I know it’s not supported, but I’m able to start it fine, and it’s reading the touch controllers and all button presses, but I can’t pick up the gun to start the demo. Of course, if I start it in non-VR mode, it jumps right into the demo without having to touch the gun.

Also, I never knew Axe Body Spray and Norton Commander were part of Blade Runner corporate lore.

I played it with the Rift. For some reason the gun was off to my right, but all I did was move my hand (controller) to the gun and pressed random buttons until I picked it up. It may have been the side button (middle finger). Then I fired the gun and the game started loading. Crazy.

Agreed on all points. I’ve gone through the beginning parts of Fallout 4 countless times, but it’s like a whole new and better game.

Thanks! I didn’t know that was possible. Though it seems they rolled out a temporary branch of SteamVR just to maintain input emulator compatibility. Maybe someone at Valve is using a Rift? ;)

Oh cool! I’m going to revert and use that then.

I’d hesitate to call them demos. Rather, each developer now gets a little sandbox that he/she can populate wit items, sounds, and backgrounds the player can fool around with. The goal is to better communicate the atmosphere of the experience when people are browsing in the store. It’s been in their SDK since last summer and I’m sure we’re going to see a lot of very creative Store pages.

Oculus so far haven’t announced anything similar, but they do pair up with developers to create custom Home environments. They had the Enterprise flying overhead during the Star Trek launch, for example, and zombies and what not around you for the launch of Killing Floor. Which they took out after about a day because it freaked everyone the !@#$ out.