Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Ahhh back on top. :)

Had a pretty good run!

https://www.protocol.com/htc-vr-focus3-vive-pro

itsnothing.gif (for consumers waiting a Quest 2 alternative)

Someone is doing a VR hero shooter

I guess that’s how they show it’s a VR game, because the rest of it could just be from any other non-VR trailer. :P

Right? And yet so very few actually dare to include arms.

I think VR dev best practices advise against including arms. It’s really hard to get right and makes people feel weird if the positions are off from reality.

Reasonable, but Lone Echo did a great job of it. That plus the wrist and hand controls were a big part of the immersion.

Quick poll: How many of you relatively new VR gamers have tried Echo VR? Either Arena or Combat?

Yeah it was pretty great in Lone Echo. I’m all for it. Just give an option to disable it for the squeamish.

Really? Because of sickness? I found the movement to be so fantastically well done that it was at the low end of my puke factor games. One of the first I ever tried and I got swimmy headed after the first couple of sessions but it corrected very quickly. Not to say I ever turned on true mobility where you can rotate upside down and whatnot, but the “grab things and throw yourself” mechanic felt much more natural than most “push the stick to walk” games.

I love the arms in Star Trek Bridge Crew

Well, let me just recommend Echo Combat in particular, it seems like the game I always wanted in VR, and it isn’t that unfriendly to new players. There are limited guns and options, so it’s really more like a VR playground pew pew battle than jumping into Counterstrike in 2021 against people with 1000s of hours at headshotting. If I had a dedicated crew to play it I would consider it one of the best video game things you could do. Echo Arena is a lot more brutal in skill differential, to be fair. Perfect mobility is a high grade product and I don’t have it, but if it’s shooting at computer folks I have put in the time, even if not in VR.

I’ve tried the Arena one a few times. And every time some nutjob gets right up in my face and starts talking or just following me around. Seems to have a bunch of kids too. I like the concept though.

Point of obscurity: Lone Echo was the initial game (and while the gameplay isn’t the greatest, the world and movement are top notch) and then they released Echo Arena (free to play) which is the frisbee soccer game. Then they released Echo Combat, which is a team shooter with CTF mostly, and changed the overall name of the multiplayer to Echo VR, you just fly to whichever lobby you want to play. Combat is still restricted to PCs, as far as I know, but I think most of the VR players in this thread have figured out how to Airlink or whatever. You can play Arena natively on the Q2, but Combat you have to spin up from a PC. I’m not a dev so I can’t say why it’s hard to send the Combat code through the deframbulator and make it available natively on the Quest.

Combat is a lot more user friendly, at least in my experience. Still plenty of kids, though.

It looks interesting but I’m going to wait for some user reviews. It’s not a VR exclusive but seems like it would be cool to play in VR.

I think it’s timed.

The cross-platform game will also launch on traditional gaming PC platforms as a non-VR title that’s playable with other PC and VR gamers. More info on that to come.

I think I’d be up for it. It seems like a simplified Gloomhaven but I haven’t seen much info about the gameplay.

Is that what this is? I thought it was more like a multiplayer online tabletop rpg thingy…

Yeah, I’m waiting to see reviews and get a better sense of how it plays. If it’s more Gloomhaveny then I’m probably down for it, but it’s a more open-ended tabletop RPG implementation (which seems to be how they’ve been pitching it) I’m probably out.

What the… I accepted @ArenjiChaos friend request and turns out he’s beating me on all the In Death leaderboards, including the new Siege of Heaven score I was so proud of!

How do I unfriend this guy!? :D