Vvvvvv

My* recurring nightmare was coming down on the wrong side.

KG

*And I think everyone else’s.

YES. I love the instant respawn. This is when I say fuck Megaman 9. With VVVVVV I died about 30 times in one of the final scenes in the demo (difficult chord?) until I took a different approach and nailed it easily. I’m going to have to get this game.

I was actually a bit disappointed the respawn wasn’t faster, but he had to get the sad face animation in there.

Oh, hell yes. I was convinced I was going to do that. Thankfully, I avoided that particular bit of humiliation.

Dude… nevermind. You are trying to make an argument that just isn’t there.

Since the Demo is itty bitty, i sent it to a friend. He doesn’t like it’s look. Said Mega-man looks better.

Called him a moron, and kept playing myself.

I can’t seem to stop.

First it was GSB, an instant buy, now this. I hate you all =)

when you respawn on the checkpoint C it looks like his face is sad. I love that!

15 bucks? Really?

How long is the real game? I played through the demo and enjoyed it.

15 bucks?

See Trials HD and the Trackmania series for an example of this game play style done with more fancy modern visuals. I think people mostly didn’t rip into either of these two games where you often died many times per level. The key is to reduce the downtime between death and retrying to absolutely zero and to keep the effort required for each retry appropriately small.

Compulsive retry gameplay formula gold.

The guy is trying to go full time so you’re basically paying his rent money. There’s also the old chicken-and-egg strategy of charging a little more so consumers and games journalists then take your game more seriously and write lots of prose about it!

There is also the strategy of selling your game at a price where everyone and their mother will pick up a copy.

If this was 5 bucks, I would have bought it, no problem. All I am saying.

I bought it at $15, which is like you buying it three times.

Slightly better because of per-transaction credit card fees!

It took me a bit under four hours to finish the game and get all the trinkets. I still haven’t made a serious run at the time trials, however.

I really am loving this game to death, but I just blew an hour and a half trying to get Veni Vidi Vici and think I’m going to have to take a break.

I keep coming into areas and thinking “How the hell do you expect me to do that?” then passing through them a hundred deaths later feeling like a superhero. I don’t know what makes this game so compelling to me, but until Veni Vidi Vici I was loving every moment of it. It seems similar to Jumper and Meat Boy, but I don’t enjoy either of those. I can’t quite pinpoint what this is doing for me that those aren’t, though.

It reminds me of Knytt and Knytt Stories a lot, which are also open-world exploration games with lots of checkpointing, though the aesthetics are radically different. Can’t wait for the fatigue to pass so I can turn it back on. So far, the 15 bucks feel well spent.

I was trying to figure out this same thing. I didn’t enjoy VVVVVV at all, but I found myself loving a similar rapid failure game in the past year (moneyseize). I couldn’t figure out why I loved it and not this one. Maybe it was the particulars of the physics in that one; the way you jumped and slid and ran and stuff. More likely it was the mood I was in when I played it.

I beat the game in a little over 2 hours. 14 Trinkets and 940 deaths (damn you ‘final room’ with 75 deaths).

I only wish the soundtrack would’ve been included with the $15 purchase. Otherwise it’s a bit steep for what you get. I don’t regret it though. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to anything else Terry Cavanagh will do in the future.

It’s on Steam now for $4.49, for those who thought it was too expensive.

That’s a good price for it. Condescending jpeg notwithstanding, I genuinely don’t believe I got my $15 worth out of VVVVVV.

(But I did turn around and pay another $4 for the soundtrack, so what does that tell you?)

Thanks for the heads up!

Just bought it on Steam. I considered the old price too much and waited for some bargain (which I got now).