Vvvvvv

I considered my $15 well spent. It’s a steal at $4.50.

It’s way too slidy for me, and I’m not a big fan of the look. I’m not really into platformers, though. Braid was the last one I really enjoyed.

The game was so much fun. I wish it had additional level packs

FINALLY.

I thought I’d take another crack at the last two trinkets tonight, but I was starting to despair about this one. After a while I could semi-consistently get to the reversal point, but then I had a ton of trouble with the screen transition right after that, or my fingers would betray me and I’d wind up failing on the first room a half-dozen times in a row. I find with games like this I’ll often get to a point where I’ve improved a lot, but then hit a kind of peak and start failing more and more often on easier and earlier parts and wind up giving up in frustration.

I was afraid that I was never going to develop the muscle memory for the return trip due to not reaching it often enough, but lo and behold, the stars lined up, luck was on my side, and I fell my way to victory after around 200 attempts. The return trip turned out not to be that bad after all, once I could get past that first post-reversal screen.

But the Gravitron can go to hell (6.70 seconds so far).

Been playing and loving this. It’s a nice complement to Super Meat Boy, which I also just started recently. Is the soundtrack really not available for download? I love it and would buy it but a CD? Really?

http://souleye.madtracker.net/ ?

Buy CD

Hello friendly chiptune surfer! Thanks for showing interest in my music.

CD stands for Collection Distribution in this case!

This is the soundtrack for VVVVVV, called PPPPPP. If you donate $4, PPPPPP will be yours!
Please note that you don’t have to have a Paypal account to donate, you can use a credit card too.
The soundtrack is a zipfile approximately 81 megabyte big and consists of 9 songs and 6 jingles in 320kbps mp3 format. Over 30 minutes of music…

THAT’S WHAT I SAID! CD!

Clearly I do not have good reading comprehension.

I started playing this last night to try to finish off some quick indie games. As I suspected, I’m liking it much more than other platformers like Super Meat Boy. Those make me shudder. Maybe it’s the double jumps and wall jumps or the greater time commitment.

I encountered Veni Vidi Vici at a perfect time, about an hour into the game. What surprised me is how much concentration made a difference on some parts and rhythm helped on others – all within the same sequence. The first two screens I had to pay attention and consciously press the keys properly. On the next ones (through the reversal point) I did better by disengaging slightly and only glancing at the screen. Pretty interesting.

Does the map screen show trinket locations? I’ve been trying to get them when I see them so I don’t have to explore the entire map again. But I’ve missed a few and I don’t see them on the map. I guess I could use a guide. Although the exploration and outside world was a pleasant surprise too. I thought it would just be lots of hallways.

Late in the game one of your crew members comes up with a radar to show the rest of the trinkets. Maybe after you rescue all of them, I don’t remember. Definitely do get all the trinkets once you have that though, the real ending of the game happens after you get them.

Sounds great. Thanks for the reassurance.

I don’t normally blab about endgame stats, but if anyone sees this post in the future and wants another point of reference, I finished it with all trinkets in 3:10 with about 1200 deaths. I don’t have the exact numbers because I played around with some stuff after I got all the trinkets.

I had to use YouTube to figure out how to get to one of the trinket locations.

More like FFFFFF

(lol)

Well, at least this no death run anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IrlCunGL3U

See the last 45 seconds. (Lots of “spoilers” if you haven’t finished the main campaign.)

Bumped for the Humble Indie Bundle 3, plus this tidbit from the blog:

Big news, guys! I’m launching a MASSIVE update to VVVVVV today, as part of the new Humble Indie Bundle! This is a complete rewrite of the game to C++, making it run faster and better on Windows, Mac, and, finally, on Linux!

But even more than that: there’s now also a level editor in the game! I’m really excited about this – it’s something I’ve wanted to do ever since launch last year. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been working flat out, trying to make this as powerful and simple to use as possible, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what people do with it.

As a guy who has over 50 hours of playtime on this game, I find that incredibly exciting. I was also pretty surprised, reading through this thread, that VVVVVV wasn’t so popular with everyone. All I know is, I really, really dug it.

I think my favorite thing about the game, if I had to choose one, is the soundtrack. I don’t think I’ve ever loved a soundtrack this much, maybe I just have a soft spot for chiptunes.

Anyway, I highly, highly recommend you people pick up this bundle if only for VVVVVV.

More VVVVVV is always good, though I’m slightly disappointed that the map doesn’t work in the custom levels (or at least not in the ones I’ve tried). Some of them have been fairly linear and it doesn’t really matter, but Notch’s is…confusing.

All kinds of updates/enhancements for VVVVVV today. Steam achievements, an iOS and Android version, a free version focused on the level editor and player-built levels, and A HEAVY METAL SOUNDTRACK.

Spin off from the Game Music Thunderdome thread!

What is your guys’ favorite track from PPPPPP, the VVVVVV soundtrack. And what do you all think about the heavy metal version. My kids pretty much only ever play with that version, but I love the chiptunes. Still, it migrated very nicely to rockface guitar, which is pretty impressive.

Dang, I love this music.

I tried to give you an answer, but it’s impossible.

Positive Force is sooooo good! I haven’t listened to the metal version yet. Should probably do that.