Wallet Threat Level

that’s gonna make it a must buy for my cherished uneventful ATS experience.
Darn, i thought i was safe this week.

Without looking it up. Stop! Don’t look it up!

What kind of game could this be?

My guess would be Roguelite?

An American soap in a medieval setting in the form of a visual novel would be cool.

There was a fairly large Pokémon game early in the year (Legends: Arceus).

Do I really want to play more so soon? We’ll see as Friday gets closer! :)

Just picked this up and this is fantastic. I hope it does really well and convinces them to do more - i was always an atari kid, but would love to see this done with apple, commodore, coleco, etc.

The level of detail is impressive (full box art, manuals, even cabinet overlays for the arcade titles), plus a bevy of options (screen ratio, flicker, border, key rebinding). So far, the arcade titles are what really shine for me. I wish they’d included the ST, and had more stuff for the 800 than the 2600, but hey, i’ll take it!

The main problem is, Apple and Commodore were not game developers or publishers. Each game would require separate rights negotiations. Hell, each game would require intense research to figure out who to have the negotiations with. I don’t know from Colecovision, but I bet the same applies there. And then by the time you’d finished negotiations on the 90th game for your compilation, the rights to the first 45 would have changed hands again and you’d have to start over.

The C64 Mini and the Amiga Mini each have a couple decent titles and a load of shovelware for that reason… they got who they could get on board. And unlike Atari, who owned the lion’s share of IP for anything you’d care about on their systems until the Lynx, it mostly was not the stuff you’ve got nostalgia for, or would want to play today.

about that Atari collection, I can’t find a list of the games, even on their websites.

I guess this may be a sort of an answer in itself…

I know they won’t be including the best Atari 2600 games, as those were all published by Activision, but I would have been especially curious about the 800, 7800 and Lynx offers.

Well I found this listing, but I’m not 100% sure it’s the final list -

Someone posted this list in their review, as far as I’ve seen so far it’s been accurate

Reimagined

Haunted Houses
Neo Breakout
Quadratrack
Swordquest
Touchme
VCTR-SCTR
Yars Revenge

ARCADE

Akka Arrh
Asteroids
Asteroids Deluxe
Black Widow
Breakout
Centipede
Cloak & Dagger
Crystal Castles
Fire Truck
Food Fight
Gravitar
I, Robot
Liberator
Lunar Lander
Major Havoc
Maze Invaders
Millipede
Missile Command
Pong
Quantun
Space Duel
Sprint 8
Super BReakout
Tempest
Warlords

3D Tic-Tac-Toe
Adventure
Air Sea Battle
Canyon Bomber
Centipede
Combat
Crystal Castles
Dark Chambers
Demons to Diamonds
Dodge Em
Fatal Run
Haunted House
Millipede
Miner 2049er
Missile Command
Outlaw
Quadrun
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Football
Soccer
Tennis
Volleyball
Saboteur
Secret Quest
Solaris
Super Breakout
Surround
Swordquest Earthworld
Swordquest Fireworld
Swordquest Waterworld
Warlords
Yars Revenge

Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Millipede
Missile COmmand
Star Raiders
Super Breakout

Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Centipede
Dark Chambers
Fatal Run
Ninja Golf
Scrapyard Dog

Lynx

Basketbrawl
Malibu Bikini Volleyball
Scrapyard Dog
Super Asteroids/Missile Command
Turbo Sub

Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Caverns of Mars
Food Fight
Miner 2049er
YOOMP

JAGUAR

Atari Karts
Club Drive
Cybermorph
Dino Dudes
Fight For Life
Missile COmmand 3D
Ruiner
Tempest 2000
Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

Can’t believe there’sa a new entry in the Swordquest series after 40 years.

food fight, ooh!

obviously somebody will win the space station or whatever was the prize of swordsquest, finally

very instructive as to why most games (especially the lynx without epyx’ offer !) aren’t included. thank you.

I continue to be impressed by how faithfully it’s been recreated and the extra work they’ve done. I just loaded back into Major Havoc (a game i really had no recollection of, but as soon as i saw it, i was like "Holy shit, i know that game! I used to love it!), and the high scores i recorded in my earlier session are still saved! :)

I mean even the little details here (lunar lander):

like the cabinet art overlay (and it being slightly off center) - and when you change missions, those side panels light up!

Here’s major havoc if you (like me) have a hard time recalling it…

(notice the cabinet scratches!)

I’m sorry to gush, but they really didn’t have to do this kind of thing (and they did it with all the games - at least every one i’ve looked at so far)

It sounds like great collection from an archival point of view, but the only game on it I want to play is Tempest 2000, which is depressing considering I owned a Lynx and an ST. I understand the reasons but it’s still frustrating, especially when the A500 got a decent selection of third party games.

tldr; You can use steam’s lets play to invite friends into your atari50 games.

So i continue to be enthralled with Atari50. Using steam’s overlay, i was able to successfully play games multiplayer last night - or at least quasi-multiplayer. I invited a friend to play and we played some of the 2 player coin-op games (asteroids and missile command) - this actually worked really well, but technically we were both playing at the same time (as the same player), so it was just a matter of not interfering while the other player was using the controls. However, this didn’t work on actual 2p games like combat, as we’d both have control over the red tank, and no one would have control over the blue tank (all the controls - controller and keyboard were for the same player)

I found this rather odd - since if this were true, then all of the multiplayer games were useless. I had kinda assumed that at least you could play them locally, with one player on keyboard and another using a controller, but this just isnt true. So today I played around a bit, and found out that if you have a second controller(or more, i’m assuming, but i only have 2), then the second controller automatically maps to a second player and can be used to control them. I assume this applies to games like warlords - so if you had 4 controllers installed, you could use steam’s let’s play to invite 3 friends (who dont need to have the game), and you could all be playing.

It’s not perfect. For instance, if you want to rebind controls, it appears it rebinds all controls for all similar devices to one map (so if you changed fire from A to X, it would be that for all the controllers). It also appears that keyboard and controller 1 always default to player 1 - so you couldn’t have 3 friends play and you all use keyboards (you’d all be controlling player 1). However this might create some interesting co-op play opportunities where one player controls movement and the other controls actions.

I think my other take away is how weird and varied controller evolution was. Tempest just aint the same without a paddle. Missile command actually works amazingly with a mouse, but i do miss the tactile feel of the giant track ball. Crystal castles is really weird without that track ball. I’d hesitate calling it bad, but it’s definitely not good. I also don’t know what it is, but I found some of the later titles(arcade) look worse than the earlier ones. Crystal castles is one of these - in my memory, it was a great looking arcade game. On replay, it looks no where near as good.

Anyways, just some info for people who might be on the fence…

Surprisingly, even the week of Black Friday there are new releases. And our wallets are under threat by a game like Evil West. Gungrave is a franchise I’d never heard of that used to be on PS2, it’s coming out on Game Pass also. Ship of Fools looks like a cool little ship-faring roguelite. Saint Kotar is a “psychological horror detective game set in a cursed valley in rural Croatia”, which is a pretty intriguing elevator pitch. The new Just Dance comes out (though, it’s not clear to me why you wouldn’t buy one of the older Just Dance games for much cheaper).

Tuesday (11/22/22):​

• Evil West (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
  • 22 Racing Series - Steam Early Access (PC)
  • Gungrave G.O.R.E (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Saint Kotar (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Ship of Fools (PC,PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Just Dance 2023 Edition (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)

Wednesday (11/23/22):​

• Dysterra (PC)

Maybe Tuesday for consoles, but this puppy’s been out for over a year on PC! Looks neat!

Despite the World Cup, there continue to be games released that are wallet threats! Sorry, forgot all about that. Lots of big releases this week. New World of Warcraft stuff (expansion? I don’t know!). New Warhammer 40k Darktide thingie. I thought Callisto Protocol was a red hot wallet threat but it’s getting very mixed reviews today, including some very positive ones and some very negative. Marvel’s Midnight Suns is out today, as is the new Need for Speed. From the impressions at Qt3 so far, it seems Firaxis’ game will be the much larger wallet threat than EA’s arcade racer.

Monday (11/28/22):​

• World of Warcraft: Dragonflight (PC)

Tuesday (11/29/22):​

• The Knight Witch (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Soccer Story (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Sable (PS5)
  • In Nightmare (PC)

Wednesday (11/30/22):​

• Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (PC)
  • Garfield Lasagna Party (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Front Mission 1st: Remake (Switch)
  • Fangs - (PC)

Thursday (12/1/22):​

• Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, iOS, Android)
  • Papetura (Switch)
  • Inscryption (Switch)
  • Dwarven Skykeep (PC)

Friday (12/2/22):​

• The Callisto Protocol (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Need for Speed Unbound (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Marvel’s Midnight Suns (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • SubROV: Underwater Discoveries (PC)
  • Resident Evil Village: Winters’ Expansion (Switch)

While the dates are correct, the games appear to this weeks releases, sir.