War Z, competition for Dayz

•Survival Horror MMO with entire game world build around a Zombie Apocalypse
•Two modes of play: Normal (downed characters can be revived after “cool down” period) and Hardcore (death will be permanent)
•Ability to switch between first-person (FPS) and third-person (TPS) perspectives
•Huge maps ranging between 200 and 400 square kilometers
•Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player) gameplay
•Unique social elements, including bounties, rewards, help requests, trap setting, etc.
•Safe Settlements: safe cities within the world where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions
•Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
•Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client

In The War Z, players are thrust into a post-apocalyptic world five-years after a viral outbreak that ravaged the human population and left, in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion. Hordes of undead zombies infest the cities, and the few remaining human beings have devolved into a lawless, nomadic society where the sole objective is to survive at any cost. Players must use skill and cunning in order to acquire food, weapons and other supplies necessary for survival. While navigating the vast landscape, they will discover cities teeming with the undead as well as other players that may or may not be friendly.
With strong RPG elements, TWZ allows players to earn experience points and then “spend” those points to learn new skills that will aid in their survival. Additionally, there will be opportunities to acquire in-game cash and gold, which can be used to purchase supplies at one of the few safe-settlements located in the game. The War Z will also allow those playing together to join servers as a group or locate friends already playing and join the same server.

Ign reveal

100k sign up for the beta

This has been announced a few weeks ago, let’s make a thread for it.

Wow, color me interested based on the visual design and the bullet points. I haven’t a copy of ArmaII to try out DayZ, but I’ve heard enough to know I’d probably have a good time with it.

If we can go inside and up in every single building(finding things and whatnot) i will hand in my cash now.

EDIT: one time purchase of 30 bucks? probably still going to buy on release if it has more decent previews.

Going inside every building on that city is something today computers can’t do ( Introversion has this techdemo-maybe a game that may allow that,… in flat textures like graphics, but is procedural so the rooms inside are generated as needed and of course, pseudorandom ).

But if you can enter and loot houses on the forest, and maybe some vehicles, that can be enough.

30$ single payments sounds like GW model? or what?

I’ll buy in early just to be sure I can experience it, just in case it goes belly up later on. ;)

It’s nice to see a new genre (or sub-genre at least) starting to take hold.

I am all over this like jam on warm toast! :D

I’m not sure I get the appeal of Day Z. I walked along an empty road for five minutes, then was killed by a zombie. Maybe that works well as a Tarkovskiy movie, but it didn’t do much for me as a game.

Whoa.

Roadside Picnic + DayZ. Someone make it happen.

STALKER doesn’t count.

HAh - that was my experience as well… The second time I tried I spend some time finding a lighthouse in total darkness, stumbling about a bit then falling down and getting killed by zombies… Yay!

I lost interest in DayZ once they removed consequences. Once i got the feeling that anyone with friends on teamspeak had a huge advantage I gave up.

Looks interesting, but I can’t imagine it getting to market under this name, especially with Paramount bringing out a huge budget movie called “World War Z” next year. I imagine the lawsuit will fly shortly.

Not sure what you mean about consequences - if I die, my gear is all gone. That’s pretty hefty consequences.

Regarding teamspeak, you realize that outside voip is happening in just about every MP game out there, right?

Really wish competitive games had a way to block outside VOIP and instead had a fully working ingame one that would do the same but prevent talking when dead.

That… impossible. How a game is going to allow or block whatever software you use on your computer?

Easy. You install a filter on it.

At $30 this game will sell like hotcakes.

What I mean by consequences is that when you killed other people, your skin changed into a bandit. Now, you can be as big a dick as you want without any way of people detecting your agenda. You may as well not try to cooperate with strangers.

Thanks for the heads-up about people using VOIP everywhere, I totally didn’t realize that. Sheesh.

The point I was making is that the game design makes it impossible to communicate effectively in-game and once you have two or three people on their own VOIP channel they get a massive advantage. Combine this with a lack of consequence and you end up getting the feeling that if you play by yourself, you are there just to keep griefers in supply.

Having a Bandit skin didnt prevent me from killing people, it was even better actually because it was stealthier than the PMC skin.

Guess it depends how you play the game. For me, if I see them, they’re dead - I’m not the least bit curious about their agenda. I also assume the feeling is mutual. In a game where death is both permanent and easy to inflict, safer is better than sorry.

That being said, i play the game like a survival horror. This character has been alive 20 days now, has killed over 100 zombies and has 2 murders to his name. I skulk and I scavenge on the edges of humanity avoiding towns unless necessary…

Well, if the game asks windows for ‘exclusive mode’ access to the mic, and the user has allowed this… that should in theory prevent other applications for using the mic as long as the app is running?