Warcraft 3 Reforged - HD remake

This headline gave me a real “is it 2002 again?” moment:

I did - I’ve been wondering why there is a serious lack of coverage anywhere though.

Probs 🇭🇰

Oh yeah, that makes sense. A shame something that I was super excited about a year ago is shadowed by such shitty behavior. I didn’t delete my account over it, but I know many that did. My son is NOT one of them, and he grew up playing War3 with me and we were going to try some head to head stuff. Now that he’s off to college, if he wants to spend time with his old man kicking my ass with the Night Elves, I’m fine with that.

Yup. Sorry, Blizzard. You done goofed.

Well, shit.

My son and I picked this up (me on a whim and largely because HE picked it up) and it looks like it’s fucked and no one can log in or play. LOL. Good job, Blizzard.

a year ago I would have been excited about this. Now, fuck Blizzard

It seems intermittent. I’ve been able to log in a couple times, and also hit the problem.

Warcraft 3 is strong competition for my favorite game of all time, and almost certainly my most played.

Not even thought about this since blizzards China fuckup. Ugh.

Yup. Went from an easy buy to an easy skip in one incredibly poorly handled incident.

War 3 happened to come out at exactly the right time for me, and I can confidently say that I was better at it than any other multiplayer or even semi-PvP game that I’ve ever played. I loved the campaign, the custom maps, and I sat near enough the top of both the 1v1 and team ladders for most of late 2002/early 2003 that 35-year-old-me is frankly embarrassed at how I was spending my time in lieu of frat parties and experimental coeds. I am exactly the target audience for this remake.

Also completely out on it after the China/HK episode.

I put about an hour into it and am so far having a really, really fun time with the campaign. I played and beat it at launch, so a very long time ago (same with the expansion) and almost none of this is familiar to me. It looks really good, too - far better than it looked in some of the beta streams I watched a few minutes of (probably compression doesn’t help there).

I can totally respect someone wanting to boycott Blizzard, but this is exactly what I wanted right now, seems like. I’m taking a break for a bit only to get a little (late) supper, and then I’m going to try and wrap up the Orc/prologue campaign yet tonight.

Wait – Hong Kong right? Just checking on the incident.

These are screenshots from the new one? Wow. I thought the old one looked like crap when it came out (I played through the campaigns on launch week). Good to see that it still looks terrible.

(Explanation: I hate that art style, and it makes sense that they didn’t change it).

Correct.

Degraded visuals and animation

They back pedaled on plans to redo the in engine cutscenes

They announced that ages ago, it wasn’t a surprise.

What happened here?

Modern, cost saving, no-frills Blizzard doesn’t have the resources to remaster the work of old school, ‘it’ll be out when it’s out’, maximum attention to detail Blizzard. They copy pasted animations and messed up the visuals, apparently, among other issues.