Wargroove by Chucklefish - It's fantasy Advance Wars

Coming later this year.

Wow, it 100% is Advance Wars with a facelift.

Not that it’s a bad thing, I was wondering when some Advance Wars would come back our way, but I’m wondering if there’s anything new/different in there…

I loved AW and remember thinking “This would be great in a fantasy setting.” Looking forward to this.

That is a great name. Hopefully will have a kickass soundtrack.

That’s funny, since Advance Wars was more or less an attempt to make a modern military Fire Emblem.

Not really. They have obvious similarities since they’re from the same developer and have often shared engines, but the original Famicom Wars predates the first Fire Emblem.

This is also on the indi list for games on the Nintendo Switch. So I imagine you will be able to have portable “local” multiplayer.

FE and AW play fairly differently where in AW units are disposable and in classic FE they are not.

Sorry, I can’t get over the name. Maybe they could get Killing Joke to update “Wardance” for this game?

Game still being worked on , updated blog linked , they are aiming for a Q1 2019 release.

I have been watching this and was hoping it would be out by now. I think they are trying to launch on all platforms at once (IIRC).

I am planning on playing it on my Switch.

Feb 1 release & available for preorder.

Also, it’s very cool that an indie strategy game is offering crossplay on day 1. Should help find opponents.

Have no idea if it’s really a good update on Advance Wars, but here’s hoping. Nintendo is featuring it in a promo, which at least means that it’s not hot garbage.

No price listed on Steam yet.

Probably will purchase for the Switch. Seems like a game made for that platform. Can play it in bed.

For $20 I think this is worth the day 1 risk.

This is coming out. If it’s 20 dollars, it will be real tempting.

It’s $20 on Xbox, so it’s probably the same on Steam.

From the ResetEra Official thread…

• A full 33+ mission Campaign Mode playing as a variety of commanders. The total length of the cutscenes alone (pre- and post-mission, as well as occasionally in-mission) reportedly totals more than 1hr 30mins.
  • An Arcade Mode , seemingly intended to be played fighting game style. Choose a commander, and fight 5 other commanders on randomly selected PVP maps; you get a special cutscene at the end of each character’s “route”. Intended to help you familiarize yourself with each character.
  • Local and online Skirmish modes (with rule customization!), as well as additional co-op and competitive modes; 30+ 2-player PVP maps, 10+ 3-player PVP maps, and 6+ 4 player PVP maps. Can also be played offline vs. CPU bots, in any of the above listed configurations. Online matches can also be played asynchronously!
  • A Puzzle Mode with 25+ missions, challenging you to figure out ways to defeat the specified enemies within a single turn. Looks pretty neat.
  • A comprehensive Map Editor , which can be used to build individual maps as well as full-fledged campaigns, including the scripting tools you need for triggers and dialogue, branching paths, unlockable missions and secrets. I mean, just take a look at this shit, it’s crazy! You can also freely share your creations with the WarGroove community using the game’s dedicated Sharing Center. (GameXplain has an excellent breakdown, which I’ve posted below.)

How much do the factions defer outside of the commanders? Or are they just new imagines on the exact same units?
Aka is it Warcraft or Age of Empires?

Oops, mis-read. Yeah, they have mostly entirely different unit rosters, with some units that look to exist between rosters (like siege units).

EDIT 2 - Or, maybe not.

Looks like units are just sprite swaps after all? What?