Wargroove by Chucklefish - It's fantasy Advance Wars

I find playing on the Switch to be a good choice. Even though some maps can get long, I tend to play a little bit at a time anyway so it never feels too long.

I do have a few annoyances which probably has more to do with my not knowing basic commands on the Switch. Like how to move out of campaign mode into one of the game types. I also cannot figure out if it is possible to play a multi player map with AI. I changed the difficulty mode on the Campaign but not sure if those settings are used on the Arcade mode.

Dusty’s Co-op Tower Defense

Someone used a lot of ingenuity to create a TBS Tower Defense Scenario. I think it is unbalanced for what gets thrown at you (need to earn more gold per turn). None the less pretty impressive what the designer was able to do.

A stage drama for cross-play in two acts:

People keep saying, “Why doesn’t Sony allow more people to have it?” We’re open for business on this one. All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it. As ever, just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we’ve learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works. I don’t believe right now there is any gating factor on that. I think they’re open to make proposals, because the Fortnite thing worked pretty well.

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can literally toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn’t a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

Sony dgaf. They need to lose a generation again to care a tiny bit. Pre-PS3 Sony is back in full force.

Yep. Look how awful Microsoft was in the lead up to the Xbox One launch. It took a good ass kicking for them to get back in line, now the same needs to happen with Sony.

Finally got around to trying this and it’s quite a bit of fun. Seemingly simple at first glance but it’s ramping up quickly. I haven’t got very along in the campaign and still learning the basics but it reminds me a lot of Battle for Wesnoth, of which I have many fond memories, despite it being sort of linear in its approach to finding success in a given mission…where one big screw-up can mean total failure.

A bit off-topic but just looked into BfW and it’s still getting updates: https://store.steampowered.com/app/599390/Battle_for_Wesnoth/

Their decision to not update all of my PSN games to work on PS4 probably pisses me off more than anything else this generation.

Without a PS Vita release I am sure this game will be a total and complete failure.

Switch is the new Vita.

I still never did pick up Wargroove, honestly a lot of my enthusiasm fled when I realized through discussion here the unit roster and Hero units didn’t seem varied or as different as I’d hoped plus lots of other problems like a lack of save games and the campaign difficulty/having to replay entire scenarios.

Thankfully, there is a nice sounding Quality of Life patch coming to address at least some of my concerns!

Among the things being updated/added are saving during the campaign (you can manually save and create a checkpoint, but the catch is you can only have one checkpoint at a time), difficulty levels (you can play on Medium now and still get 3 stars from missions, Hard is the default/original difficulty and allows for S-ranks, and then you have Easy and maybe more). Animation speed options, easier to read unit comparison chart, and a bunch of bug fixes and such as well. Sounds like a great patch, I have to say.

The biggest problem on the Switch at least, is that player created content that sets up an enemy with a lot of units takes forever to run. You can shut off combat but not each side moving all its pieces. I have been trying some of the 4 player multiplayer scenarios using AI for three players and it can take a long time. I am hoping that the patch that speeds up animations is talking about all the units moving etc.

I was super excited for Wargroove since before I had my release day Switch. The uniform sides murdered my enthusiasm. Critical hit. I didn’t pick up Wargroove and kind of don’t think I ever will now that the initial release hype wave has passed.

More free DLC. Co-op campaign that can also be played solo. Competitive quick-play maps.