Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr

It’s a pretty decent game, but I can see the issues that Wombat brought up are going to loom ever-larger as I go up levels.

One of the excellent things that Blizzard does with Diablo is that every ten levels of so you hit an inflection-point with your character where the new abilities kind of shift the game-play 30 degrees or so and you find that you’re playing your class in a subtly different way. That doesn’t seem to be happening in Martyr – I’ve got my preferred load-out and my handful of skills, and even though I find ever-more-powerful versions of those same weapons, I’m not really changing my approach to problems posed in the game.

I sure do like the story though.

Yes, the builds in Diablo are both skill and weapon based, with interesting synergies between the two. Here, there is both too much complexity and not enough. Too much, in that there are pistols, rifles, heavy guns, one and two handed melee, staffs, and rods, along with skill trees that are either hugely broad (melee, ranged) or weirdly specific (just specific buffs or debuff runes for spells). Too little, in that none of this really matters much as ultimately there are two ways to play in general, melee or ranged, and one (melee) is demonstrably better overall than the other, in general. And while D3 allows you to fully customize your skill bar, here you are locked into weird things like this weapon is only for that hand, and abilities get locked to specific slots.

So there’s really none of that reassessment you speak of, which isn’t helped by the blandness of the gear. In Diablo–or PoE, or Grim Dawn, or any number of other games like this–finding a specific unique weapon or piece of gear can change your whole approach to your character. Here, it’s, um, yay, a better whatever I’m already using.

Nuts. I read the fine print wrong on three buffs I have on storage. Thought they were +50% XP but they are +50% damage. :( I do have one of the +100% XP buffs that are no longer in the game but that’s it. So getting to level cap is going to be a longer slog than I hoped. I might put the game on hold temporarily and hope Neocore increases XP for missions in the near future. It’s still fun but the grind is a bit daunting at this point, so cutting back on play time might help keep it fresh if that makes any sense.

Absolutely. I finished the story on my Assassin, and it just sort of reemphasized how anti-climactic the ending is. I like the story overall, but then, I like cheesy 40K fiction. But the end of the campaign is pretty weak, and the end boss fight is, to its credit, not really a pain but it’s also not very epic. Anyhow, I now have two characters that have to be ground up painfully doing endlessly repetitive purge missions, with my third, the Crusader, still to come.

I doubt I will grind them all up any time soon. I’m torn between continuing the Psyker, knowing that the OD fix is coming up in the next patch and wondering how that’s going to affect my build, or the Assassin, where I’ve become more enamored of dual bolt pistols. But in either case, the prospect of so much more of the same is daunting.

Sadly, I have to agree. Was hoping for a tough puritan/radical decision point but nope. They left it open to continue the story later, and I also liked the overall story, but the end was meh.

The only reason I’m tempted to grind like mad this week is due to the incoming fix of OD. Will continue with Psyker after the fix even if it means redoing my build so I’ll probably just wait and see what happens with the next patch before doing any more leveling.

I wish they had doubled down a bit on the morality stuff; I get the feeling it’s in there for the long haul, but if Neocore neglects to provide anything meaty up front, there may not be a long haul. The W40K lore has a lot of instances of inquisitors having to make big decisions about how far towards the dark side they will go to protect the Imperium, but this game so far only offers some very basic and not terribly compelling decision points.

I mean, we should be having to decide whether to make a daemonhost ourselves, or use necromancy, and stuff like that.

For all of Inquisitor Martyr’s faults, it has been inspiring.

What is that from?

It’s an Warhammer 40K RPG rulebook for the Inquisition!

Cool! I really wish there were actual RPGs set in the W40K universe (PC RPGs, that is). Man, I could really see a game with, say, Divine Divinity’s mechanics (or Jagged Alliance, etc.) and being able to play as an Inquisitor…

Yeah, it’s kind of shocking there’s everything BUT RPGs.

Give me Chaos Gate 2 please

I tried to get that to run on my system a while back but no go. Loved that game.

But yeah, the video game treatments of all the GW stuff has skewed towards analogs of the table-top focus, that is, tactical combat stuff. There’s also been some strategic stuff. Sadly, little to nothing in the realm of RPG though.Um, are their RPG books for these universes? I know there are plenty of miniatures/battle stuff.

Did you try the GOG version?

And yeah, loved Chaos Gate, one of my all-time favorite Warhammer games.

From what I can tell from the GOG site, Chaos Gate doesn’t work with Win10. I have the old boxed version, which definitely doesn’t.

Sigh, yeah, one of the reasons I’ve held onto Win7 as long as I have.

Trying a Pogosassin build but not really liking it so far. I often can’t see if I’m close enough to hit with my melee attacks and waste several swings when I’m not. Mobs often back up so that means wasting time moving toward them when I could be hitting them. And of course at low level I’m not good enough to jump into a group and kill them all outright either. Might just play something else until I see what Neocore patches and then go back to my 32 Psyker if/when they fix some of the important stuff.

According to one of the devs there will be a patch today. No details yet.

Edit - 06.28 Server Maintenance starts at 6PM to 7PM CEST - Deploying pre-Warzone patch 1.0.5

I think with the Pogosassin build, from what I saw on YouTube, you really need to be end-game in terms of gear and skills/perks. Otherwise it misses it by that much.

Yeah AirsickHydra made it look easy and fun but he did have a max character and he did say it’s weak at the start. His build involved dodging before every jump attack for more damage and I just don’t have that much dexterity in these tired old hands. Will stick with my Psyker. :)