Warhammer 40k story moves on

Gathering Storm is a new 40k campaign from GW and they’ve actually advanced the story line.

Huge plot spoilers follow:

[spoiler]- Cadia destroyed in Abaddons final crusade. Entire chapters, sector fleets and countless armies lost.

• Fenris, home of Space Wolves is lost to chaos. Chaos Primarch Magnus behind it.
  • Elven God of Dead has been born, dark eldar and eldar seem to be reunited.
  • Cypher is up to his tricks and heads back to Terra with
  • Roboute Guilliman. Yes, an actual Primarch is back and walking around and waving the Emperors sword about
  • More Primarchs due.

[/spoiler]

Interesting. I know they’ve been doing some board game stuff that is also interesting. It’s probably what they need.

Have they said what he’s been doing or been up to for the past 10,000 years?

And what’s going on with the orks? Are they still awesome?

He’s been on his home planet at the Ultramarines HQ in a stasis field with a gaping (magical) knife wound in his neck.

Book 4 I guess.

My details are from Book 1 and leaked bits of 2 and 3.

The Orks had a fairly decent 12 part War of the Beast set in 31k last year from Black Library. The bigger the Waargh the more high tech it gets. The big bads in the Beast war had diplomats, artists and that sorta shiny/clean Federation like tech GW saves for Dark Age of Technology relics. Perhaps setting us up for the return of the Brain Boyz.

Oh right! I totally forgot about that.

So I don’t really understand. I thought it was a board game, like D&D, right? But with figurines? And there’s a monster manual and stuff? But there’s official books and a story as well?

I think a lot of people would take issue with describing D&D as a boardgame. But yeah, 40K is a tabletop miniature wargame but there’s a lot of backstop and lore in the rulebooks and a whole line of fiction.

Also there used to be a number of roleplaying games but they were put out by Fantasy Flight under a license that Games Workshop ended recently. But the core has always been the minis game.

Yeah, they’ve been creating characters and stories within the 40k universe for decades now, its more of a franchise than anything.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Timeline

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Novels

They’ve spent the last few decades filling the histories up until 40,000 and were right at the end of the millennium with storyline for a long long time, so moving it in such a big way is quite a big deal.

Where does one even start with the books? Looking at Amazon it seems pretty hit and miss.

Dan Abnett. Aaron Dembski-Bowden. In a pinch maybe a few other people but those are really the only two who could be called good in their own right and not just readable for licensed fiction.

I don’t even understand the original post; I failed the nerdiness skill check.

This is interesting. Are they doing an Age of Sigmar style reboot of the game systems too?

Can they retcon 40K so that women and non-white people can exist?

The existing lore is full of women and non-whites.

Don’t seem to have many Space Marine kits with female head options.

Because males make better templates for genetically modified hyper-aggressive asexual trans-human killing machines.

Women hold positions of power up to and including the high lords of Terra, Guard and Navy. They hold pivotal roles in the lore and background including Gathering Storm.

The Imperium is post-racial but you get a flavour for originating cultures from a planets lore and traditions. i.e there is a Space Marine chapter that are modelled on Masai warriors.

The story in the lore is that the process for creating a space marine is only possible on the male anatomy. Something about all of the vat grown super organs only being compatible with the male sex. I believe it also leaves them unable to procreate.

There are lots of ladies running around the dark millennium though, their models just don’t tend to sell quite as well!

Games Workshop figured that sexy nuns with form-fitting armor would be more popular than trying to fit ladies into the dimensions of Space Marine power armor:

Oh right forgot, the squeedilyspooch.