Warner Bros. Confirms a much darker Superman Reboot

As far as I know there was never a script, only [URL=“TMe:James Cameron Spider-Man Treatment”]a treatment.

As for the rape, I think you need to reread the treatment. It’s sexy, not rapey, and it’s the Brooklyn Bridge, not the Empire State Building.

SPIDER MAN
In certain crab spiders, such as Xysticus,
the male will attach strands of silk to
the female… tying her limbs…

Spider Man moves his hand gracefully across her, and she
sees the sheerest silk webbing glinting in the moonlight.
First one wrist. Then the other. Hypnotic movement in
the moonlight. Her arms are bound to the wall. Her
breathing gets more rapid.

SPIDER MAN
      Since the female can break free at any
      time, the bonds have only symbolic
      significance.
                      MARY JANE
      The male must be very bold... to take
      such liberties with the predatory female.
                      SPIDER MAN
      Yes.  He is very bold.  But he must also
      trust her.
                (he moves very close)
      Close your eyes.

He removes his mask and kisses her. Their mouths very
slowly and very sensuously devour each other.

Peter and MJ are locked together. He is mesmerizing,
gentle, powerful. He pushes up her skirt. They make
love, high above the world.
She doesn’t look.

Daniel Day-Lewis as Omni-Man!

Why would anyone even think of a Cameron Doctor Strange script when the current rumor has del Toro and Neil Gaiman teaming up to do one. Even if that one’s not true it’s so awesome sounding that I can’t even begin to imagine anyone else if that one even might be on the table.

You know, I did put “anymore” in my post for a reason. I hope it’s not too much bother for you to read all of those big scary words before responding.

So what are these GRRL POWER! movies that Cameron’s been making?

Cos last I checked the only thing he’s really done in the last ten years was an IMAX documentary about how creepy underwater life is. Or do you mean Dark Angel, that crazy thirty hour movie divided up into 42 minute long chunks interspersed with commercials and shown on network TV. That was a weird movie, cos it was very experimental, the way he’d only show each section of it once a week and took a break during the summer right there in the middle.

Must be Titanic, since the guy who claims to be “king of the world” dies by the end, a clear blow to male patriarchy.

Mark Millar has ideas for an “epic” trilogy.

“I’ve had this plan for like 10 years for a big three-picture Superman thing, like a big Lord of the Rings epic, starting over from scratch again with a seven-hour Superman story. And hopefully release them one year after another,” continued Millar. “If it works out, we’ll have to start shooting next summer.”

I say give him the shot. After Ellis, no one does epic like Millar.

I also thought his “Red Son” book showed that he has what it takes to write for Supes.

And most of what I don’t like about his comics would probably make his movies bigger hits.

The only reason I wouldn’t want Millar to at least be given a shot at Superman is if it was going to take him away from a shot at Wolverine.

Cameron did a “grrll power” TV show, and maybe you can put the upcoming Avatar thing in that category.

He’s been on a long hiatus, but as he hasn’t made a bad movie since Piranha II (I’m assuming it was bad, never saw it), I give him the benefit of the doubt. There are Titanic haters but I am not one of them (its third act was astounding IMO); True Lies was pleasant fluff and a solid Bond parody; Abyss had a weak ending but included one of the most intense, emotionally harrowing scenes ever filmed. T2 lame ending, one of the top 5 chase scenes ever made – still comes out in the plus column. And T1 and Aliens are two perfect sci-fi action movies. How many directors can claim to have made even one?

I’m still a Cameron believer. He “gets it” in a way that very few other people do. When the T-1000 morphs through the prison bars and his gun sticks between them for a second… when he and Arnie first encounter each other in the arcade and immediately get to fighting without a second wasted… He respects his stories’ internal logic better than most filmmakers are capable of.

The Wolverine movie is already done.

Oh I know, I’m just talking purely hypothetically.

What? Is it in the can for real?

Actually, no. Director v. studio battle is happening.

I’m guessing no matter who wins we all lose.

Any more details than that?

And why he chose the film over some literary adaptation that would guarantee a few Oscars (Life of Pi, I am looking at you).

“What appeals to me about the Wolverine character of all the other characters is that my feeling that he’s the one that suffers from the most existential angst,” he began. “Since I’m a guy who loves emotional complexity, it seemed to me that… when I was first approached to do it, my first thought was, ‘What? Me? Do this? What is that? I don’t know enough about comic book characters.’ And of course, I then did some further research and I realized that the character of Wolverine, I think his great appeal lies in the fact that he’s someone who in some ways, is filled with a great deal of self-loathing by his own nature and he’s constantly at war with his own nature. It seemed to me that really what it is, is that it’s a little like great Greek mythology, which is something I’ve always been in love with where the Greek Gods threw thunderbolts and Poseidon conjured up storms, but those mythological stories were designed to examine emotional truths. It seems to me that the character of Wolverine epitomizes in a modern context, a kind of great mythical tradition of using larger-than-life characters in order to play with and examine human emotion at a sort of operatic level.”

Yeah, I was pretty unexcited by the crappy San Diego Con material that was leaked, even though I’m looking forware to Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

In terms of “done”, I meant principle photography is done - movie won’t come out until next year.

the Wachowski Brothers had been approached to re-boot the franchise as a trilogy and they are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a superbowl final.

I’ve given up trying to guess what would be the beast creative match. After Rami gave us Spider-man 3 and Singer Superman Returns I am no good at prejudging these things. My inital reaction is this is a good thing.

Hey, don’t shortchange yourself. You’re also no good at post-judging these things!

Zing! :)

-Tom