Wayfinder: Joe Madureira art ARPG

sets down popcorn bag

Well, it’s out, kinda. The launch was…spicy, so far.

The subreddit and the steam forums are so salty that you’d expect little girls with umbrellas all over the place, the devs obviously miscalculated the amount of people that wanted in, the servers died, the devs went to bed, much to the chagrin of the folks who couldn’t get in and the microtransactions are on the asshole-design side of things. (10$ currency package for 1100 runesilver, weapons priced at 1150…)

Also, as opposed to Warframe, there’s no player trading for premium currency.

It’s pretty much a textbook example on how to not launch a multiplayer title, EA or no EA, people paid money for this.

Steam most likely will not honour refunds (as the title is technically F2P and the packages have been sold as DLC…), the reviews gently point out that the customer base might be a bit miffed…

So far, I haven’t paid a cent, but I can’t say I haven’t been entertained.

There’s plenty to criticize but man, gamers are such entitled squawking shitbirds it makes it really hard to sympathize with any of them.

I was interested in checking the game out so I downloaded and installed the game, saw that demand crushed the servers, and just did something else with my evening. The tantrum on the forum is so bad I was kind of hoping they’d keep the servers down another day just to see their collective heads explode.

I’m not seeing anyway to get this other than a 19.99 Founders pack, on Steam or the Wayfinder site itself. I’ll def give it a try if I can play with no money layout someway.

Correct. The official F2P start is in 6 Months from what I recall. This is technically “paid beta”.

Having played Ultima Online and many other massive multiplayer games, I just don’t get the “we were overwhelmed by the amount of people” spiel. Now, I don’t know how server renting works but with that said, to not be able to have enough infrastructure in place to handle volume after multiple beta’s and playtests is just not acceptable. I refunded my $20 and will wait and see how things turn out. Being a big Warframe fan with over 600 hours in it, I am let down.

I do agree that the venom from the community is pathetic. Then again, this can be found any many titles. It’s the age of anonymity…I bet the vast majority wouldn’t dare say these things face to face or in person but hiding behind their phones or computers and review bombing.

Maybe I am just old.

I know DE is the publisher but they aren’t developing the game. Do you happen to know what level of involvement Digital Extremes has had?

Yes correct the are the publisher but if I recall correctly, they were also involved in the backend set up ie the infrastructure.

I did actually get a refund on this, if that’s a concern for anyone. It is possible to get one.

I’ve played around an hour of this - and its pretty good. The graphics look good, and the style is cool.

The gameplay is pretty fun as well - Small dungeons, that you can solo or play with others with automatic matchmaking. The dungeons are randomly generated based on templates, and still need some work. The various systems and things you can find are a bit overwhelming, but all in all - I enjoyed it.

It is still early access, and that shows - lots of small things that just isn’t quite polished yet, but thats what was on the box, so thats fine.

So - servers aside - this seems like it could be fun, if it survives the outrage of silly people over not being able to play a game.

Elephant in the room question: Is there anything it does better than Warframe? Besides maybe having prettier faces all around.

$20 for EA of a pseudo MMO feels bad. I’d feel better if it were complete.

I can’t say I get this reference.

Bonus Salt Content

I believe @Thorne was referring to the entertainment value of salty forum tears, which have been ridiculous. Imagine giving a publisher $150 for an early access to a free to play game then shrieking about it a day later because you haven’t been able to play yet or got kicked out a couple times. Add in a splash of “devs doing this on purpose” or “This game is a scam” along with a healthy dose of accusations of fanboyism and white knighting, and you start to get the idea.

But as @whispa notes, this kind of reaction happens all the time. People have no patience and unrealistic expectations.

@Thorne this game isn’t Warframe in a different dress. It’s just different, imo. I wouldn’t think it does anything better than Warframe per se, certainly not at this stage. Otoh, I think it has more content at launch and I’m curious to see where it can go. Actually, there is one thing. I think it might be a better solo game than WF (though I haven’t played wf in years)

Then wait until F2P release in February - there is no need to pay for the experience right now if you have patience.

Indeed - it has nothing to do with Warframe. Thats a different game they are developing that is a fantasy version of Warframe.

I wouldn’t go that far, exactly. You can see the dna of DE/Warframe all over the place (e.g. how the mod slots work and how you level up weapon mastery). But it doesn’t feel like Warframe at all.

Been playing this weekend. Playing and waiting (3+ hours long) queues.

It clicked for me, and I want more of it.

Unfortunately, it release with a few software problems so the effect is the server is capped to 7000 players.

Has a result they have 19000 people in the queue, hoping for the 7000 player playing the game to find a crash or bug, so they can enter. That they do, often, crashing or finding a game stopping bug.

Whats the Warframe release this bad? I don’t remember having problems, other than ocassionally joining a bad host.

WF:

• Procedurally randomized dungeons
  • Leveling weapons separated from leveling character
  • Build with easily swappable items (ecos/mods)
  • Lots of crafting materials
  • Being able to craft new characters with materials
  • A few unnecesary open worlds
  • Coop experience

Is more than a marketing stun to attract players. Is a real thing. WayFinders follow the structure and foundations of WarFrame, and is a better game for it.

I was clearly mistaken, and I’ll accept that :-)

That aside - great to hear you enjoyed the game as well as I did, @Teiman .
There really is something here, if they can weather the current storm.

I played three different sessions yesterday. Did some solo stuff, including some open world. Also did one group hunt, since the challenge rating was very close to my current rating and it recommended two people (I did a solo one that recommended two, but I was 200+ points above the rating given).

I had a good time. Glad that more of the systems are being unlocked, though I have no idea how the stats work yet. I’m still learning to play Silo effectively, but there are times I feel quite strong. I’m trying to lean into doing big crit damage.

I’ve had few issues in game, though one session ended with a teleport that wouldn’t finish (I was about to quit, but wanted to check my gear) and another with a DC (again, I’d been playing awhile and was ready to take a break). Other than that, just stuff like mobs getting stuck on terrain and such. I have seen a couple of spots with invisible walls, but nothing that prevented progress. I have seen an echo charge 11 power when it said it was 10. I also think I broke a dungeon quest last night causing the npc (whom I passed by accident) to leave.

I like that the hunts, where I am most likely to want assistance, are short, at least so far, not big sprawling dungeons to reach the boss.

Honestly, I don’t think there’s anything super unique about the game, but I do like where they are going. There are several of these sorts of games in development (e.g. nightingale) that are co-op, heavily-instanced affairs with randomized dungeons. It sort of feels like an mmo broken up into discrete chunks, if that makes any sense.

Nightinggale is nothing like this - that is a survival online building game, more akin to Conan than anything else. And one I am VERY interested in. (If you prove me wrong on THIS point as well, I shall be very cross with you)

It does have the world-with-modifiers aspect though.