We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Citibank did an analysis a few years ago that arrived at a similar conclusion.

That is scary shit.

The Trump Admin Farts in your General Direction:

So a large bunch of wrecked Japanese ships from WW2 (thanks FDR!) are now starting to leak oil in the South Pacific. Thankfully, someone somewhere is thinking about doing something about it:

That is chilling.

The oldest and most famous of these landmarks, known simply as ā€œHunger Rockā€ according to Děčƭnā€™s tourist guide, contains an inscription that dates back to 1616, which reads: " Wenn du mich siehst, dann weine " (If you see me, weep).

Justā€¦ wow.

I guess they just want to make money for their corporate overlords but it really seems like they deliberately choose to be assholes.

Wow:

To do this, the researchers took the current state of the world on Tuesday, dropped that into their model as a starting point, and pressed play to simulate ahead to Sunday. For a comparison simulation, they took those starting conditions and essentially subtracted out global warming. In this counterfactual world, the storm looks significantly different.

Hurricanes are fueled by energy from the evaporation of warm seawater, so itā€™s no surprise that warmer sea surface temperatures should give the storm a boost. The size of the boost in this case is pretty remarkable, though. The model analysis showed the real-world Florence dumping 50 percent more rain near the coast than it would in a world without human-caused warming.

Yeah, I mean, part of climate change is more frequent and intense severe weather.

Iā€™ve been hesitant on general principle to ascribe this or that particular hurricane to climate change, because it feels like an intellectually vulnerable assertion, but it seems like the science on this is developing pretty fast.

And that would be impossible to do. But we can use the data we have to show that increased ocean and air temperatures are certainly effecting the rainfall amounts and wind speed of these storms.

Thereā€™s also this little ostrich head in the sand tidbit:

Iā€™m going to ban all copies of the Principia and then go step off a cliff!

ā€¦to own the libs!

Well, and then thereā€™s what happened with Harvey last year which hung around for four days because the jet stream has shifted and the prevailing winds that used to push hurricanes off havenā€™t blown in three years. Thatā€™s a pretty direct link between climate change and the amount of destruction caused by a specific hurricane.

Iā€™ve long thought the real global disaster looming on the horizon was a water shortage. Strangely enough, in the past week Iā€™ve a) read an article in the most recent Esquire magazine about the pending crisis, and b) watched an episode of Netflixā€™s excellent ā€œ_________ Explainedā€ series on the situation.

In the end, I believe we will figure out a way to mitigate the inevitable drying up of the worldā€™s fresh water supply. Itā€™ll just be expensive. Very expensive. And it will change where and how people live. I just hope itā€™ll happen after 2060 or so, so Iā€™ll be dead by then.

Me, too, only I expect weā€™ll accomplish that by resetting the number consumers to better match the supply, and that wonā€™t be pretty.

Iā€™m pretty sure we havenā€™t had rain since July, almost 60 days. Even in the summer, thatā€™s unusual.

Meanwhile, in NoVa, the weatherman said if we didnā€™t get any rain through the end if the year, we would still finish up the year 6 inches above the average.