We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

PFAS, do not want. We have been detecting GenX in the river waters here in NC for a few years, and the state and EPA is investigating and lawsuits/fines are flying. It’s come out in the last few days that one company has been IMPORTING IT from the Netherlands to “treat” it here, and it ends up in our watersheds.

Donald Trump tweeted Tuesday that he hopes global warming “comes back fast.”

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-01-29-trump-tweets-global-warming-winter-storm-australia

For those like me who don’t know much about how jet streams and polar vortexes work, here is a short explainer I found useful about how such horribly cold conditions in the US can be linked to climate change:

Undoubtedly this new polar vortex attack will unleash fresh claims that global warming is a hoax. But this ridiculous notion can be quickly dispelled with a look at predicted temperature departures around the globe for early this week. The lobe of cold air over North America is far outweighed by areas elsewhere in the United States and worldwide that are warmer than normal.

Yeah so… my hyacinths are popping up… and it’s not even February yet. I hope we don’t get a late nasty freeze.

We should be cold and wet and freezing sometimes at night by now…

Well, then let’s shoot the stuff off into the vastness of space. QED.

Instead it’s 52 and sunny today.

Not complaining, though my wife certainly is!

We really only had a few days but below freezing overnight up here in the Willamete and Tualatin valleys. I think 4 days when there was serious frost on my car. Plenty of 40 and rainy, but it’s hit 50 the last 4-5 days.

I just really don’t want to burn for 3 months this summer, so if we can get our winter back to normal and have a spring… that would be great.

Fair enough! Those 99° days with no A/C in August were… not fun.

Meanwhile here in London last night was the first time all winter that it dropped below 0 C.

Wind Chill Warning

Northeast Iowa

cold wind chills of 40 to 60 below were occurring across the area as of 3 am this … WIND CHILL WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM CST THURSDAY … Until 10 AM CST Thursday …

46 mins ago – National Weather Service

It late December it was 55 and raining.

In the absence of the sunflowers, the sea urchins they hunt are running amok, eating their way through the Pacific’s kelp forests. Kelp is a tagliatelle-like seaweed whose meter-tall fronds shelter vast communities of marine life. If they fall, an entire ecosystem will fall too, including several commercially important species like abalones, crabs, and countless fish.

Harvell’s team found that the sunflower’s decline coincided with abnormally strong heatwaves, and the higher temperatures rose above their usual levels, the more likely the stars were to disappear. Harvell suspects that warm waters could have either boosted the growth of whatever microbe is behind SSWD, or stressed the sunflowers, making them more susceptible to infections. “The warming didn’t necessarily trigger the outbreak, but I think it increased the impact of the disease,” Harvell says.

While the sea stars were disintegrating, on the other side of the world, two-thirds of the world’s population of saiga—a bulbous-nosed Asian antelope—dropped dead. They died without warning, in a few days, over an area the size of Florida. And it seems that they were killed by a normally harmless nasal bacterium that, thanks to an unprecedented spell of heat and humidity, infiltrated their bloodstreams and poisoned them.

It’s all the consequences that we have no clue about that are going to do the most damage.

In the land where bats are dying in biblical numbers due to the insane heat.

But, sadly, not certain old bats.

Are those pro-CO2 protestors in Australia? Or is it New Zealand?

I like the graph at least. It’s too bad they don’t have an accompanying one showing the temperature variations WITH CO2 influence.

lol that idiot mispelled “Juliar” on his sign (Julia Gillard was PM).

Can someone please give that guy a pure stream of the CO2 he loves?

Well, they’re Australian flags…

So there are actually Pro-CO2 products for people who want to generate more CO2 for plants in their house. I never knew.

I think I might design and market such a device. It will made up of several geared cogs connected to a proprietary device in the center that generates CO2 through a mysterious means known only to yours truly.

To power the device, the user need only blow through a connected tube that will move the mechanism inside. Then fresh CO2 will flow gently out of the spicules and supply nearby houseplants with their much-needed air.

I do not know where to put this, but it’s really surprising:

https://www.flgov.com/2019/01/10/governor-ron-desantis-announces-major-water-policy-reforms/

Governor Ron DeSantis signed Executive Order 19-12 (Achieving More Now For Florida’s Environment), implementing major reforms to ensure the protection of Florida’s environment and water quality.

– $2.5 Billion over the next four years for Everglades restoration and protection of water resources (a $1 Billion increase in spending over the previous four years and the highest level of funding for restoration in Florida’s history).

– The Establishment of a Blue-Green Algae Task Force, charged with focusing on expediting progress toward reducing the adverse impacts of blue-green algae blooms now and over the next five years.

– Instruction to the South Florida Water Management District to immediately start the next phase of the Everglades Agricultural Area Storage Reservoir Project design and ensure the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers approves the project according to schedule.

– The Creation of the Office of Environmental Accountability and Transparency charged with organizing and directing integrated scientific research and analysis to ensure that all agency actions are aligned with key environmental priorities.

– The Appointment of a Chief Science Officer to coordinate and prioritize scientific data, research, monitoring and analysis needs to ensure alignment with current and emerging environmental concerns most pressing to Floridians.