We are still screwed: the coming climate disaster

Fuck you asshole.

Youā€™re advocating a position that wouldā€™ve domed a species to extinction, and you think Iā€™m the jerk in this scenario?

Trans. ā€œHey guys, remember that time a flyball bounced off my head and then over the wall for a home-run? Yeah, Iā€™m that dumb, and Iā€™m broke now too.ā€

Iā€™m advocating against big game trophy hunters claiming that their fees are the only way to save a species thatā€™s endangered. Theyā€™re not culling the weakest member of the heard, the old males, the wounded or the sick. Theyā€™re taking the healthiest member of the herd. Most successful conservation efforts donā€™t entail trophy hunter fees. And if they care as they claim for the welfare of a species, a 100 grand for a billionaire is like a 100 bucks to us. You can drone on with your condescending superiority about ā€œfeelsā€ all you want if that makes you feel better.

Edit: Sorry to shit up the thread. HPD if you want to carry on the conversation feel free to PM me.

This fact, with which I agree, does not invalidate the analogy. If one child is valuable, many children are therefore tremendously valuable, so the proposed trade off remains.

Well, you ended a well thought out, well written post with a gratuitous insult.

I stand by the substance of my arguments but what can I sayā€¦ I try to not go over the top too often but when I do I go with gusto!

My apologies to @MrGrumpy!

Thank you, and apologies back.

I really donā€™t know if trophy hunting is working or not. I know we have some real assholes doing it. Waiting 12 hours to watch an animal die is repugnant. We also have animals that these guys canā€™t really hunt that weā€™re losing so trophy hunting canā€™t even be the answer to everything.

What I do know is what weā€™re doing isnā€™t working for a number of species, and Iā€™m sure we can do better. Eco tourism isnā€™t bringing in enough dough. The zoos try but theyā€™re under constant attack from well meaning peopleā€¦ thereā€™s got to be a way though.

We generally live in harmony because we kill them.

They kill us too.

On an related note, do you think there are actual places in the world in 2019 where a wealthy enough person could pay to hunt a human? I assume this sort of thing must happen somewhere, given that some people are still evil enough to keep slaves, etc,

Well, this isnā€™t hunting, but Sri Lanka is apparently looking for executioners? So if they want to get their kicks killing people, perhaps this is something for them.

@ArmandoPenblade

Armando: Yeah, dealing with climate change in any kind of useful, longterm way, is probably going to require a political party to essentially commit suicide to ram through a package of proposals and laws more complicated and overwhelmingly transformative than the ACA, because itā€™s not a problem that we as a species can afford to deal with slowly and piecemeal. That approach has gotten us to the suicide cliff weā€™re all dangling five feet beyond in open air, Wile E. Coyote style.

I dunno, I guess Iā€™m skeptical this will happen. Is there any example of a representative democracy dealing with a looming crisis of this magnitude rather than one that is already upon them? Itā€™s not something democracies are very good at. Britain and the US more or less steadfastly refused to arm up until they were actually dragged into WW2. And the way Brexit is playing out is instructive: All parties can see itā€™s a looming disaster, but none have the sense of responsibility to take the bullet for calling it off.

It seems way more likely that climate change response will all be reactions to actual crises as they happen, rather than any action to prevent or mitigate them before-hand. Governments will react to refugee crises, probably badly as usual. Think Katrina or Puerto Rico FEMA response, but happening in slow motion with hundreds of thousands or even millions flooded. The response will be typically stupid, e.g. government making good on flood insurance so people can rebuild houses more or less in the same place that will be flooded again.

Same thing with agriculture: Crop failures will happen slowly, over time, and get gradually worse, and the government response will be wholly inadequate and probably wrong, e.g. focused on pouring money into farmers and farming regions that are basically doomed.

I mean, the problem with climate change is that it will for a long time be irritating, then suddenly it will be very bad. There will e.g. be periodic flood / recede cycles in coastal areas, until suddenly the West Antarctic ice shelf will slide into the sea and lots of places are permanently flooded. No one will do anything useful about it while it is irritating, and then it is a massive crisis.

ā€œSend a hunter in to track and shoot man shaped creatureā€

The hook: We sent out 30 hunters and didnt tell them.

Even better hook: Dont film it, just say you are and leave them on the mountain. Do this a lot. Regularly.

I like it! Maybe we can even charge them license fees.

Better still combine it with one of those Paelo Survival shows and you can have 30 half naked mud smeared hunters building traps and trying to get within ambush distance of what looks like a half naked mud smeared man.

ā€œyeah, its all on drone and tiny camouflaged cameras, see you in the a monthā€

Once the ā€œeco-refugeeā€ crisis begins the Syrian refugee crisis will look like puppies and rainbows in comparison. How many nations are going to end up going full blown fascist? And as we now know, that ā€œit canā€™t happen hereā€ is a myth. Itā€™ll be like the Late Bronze age collapse, only this time with nuclear weapons.

For what itā€™s worth, in my original post, I completely agreed with you in the remainder of the text, which I will quote below.

I really canā€™t fathom a way out of this hole, because I donā€™thave enough faith in people to think they will handle it any better than they have ever handled anything else in history :(

Yes, you did. I didnā€™t mean that you didnā€™t, I just didnā€™t want to quote a pile of text. Sorry!