We have never talked about Beer

I’m kind of a Coke addict (pun intended). I love to drink Coke with everything, basically. I like Nestea together with a mayo sandwich of some kind.

Ok, I can see your point. I’m sorry if I came across as holier-than-thou, it wasn’t my intention, really! And in no way did or do I want to call into question anyone in this thread; I was referencing people I have known, and made that observation because, in general, there is this vibe that somehow when you reach adulthood, you need to drink beer or you’re not considered a real man. If I’m wrong with that impression, I’m glad.

On the other hand, this:

Also, what food goes well with Coke or Nestea?
kind of proves my point. When that poster was underage, did he drink beer too? I can’t see him sitting at his parent’s table, aged fourteen, and asking his parents for a beer instead of a Coke, because Coke didn’t go along with that hamburger. But hey, he’s an adult now; so Coke is shit.

Nah, that’s just silly. When I’m not drinking beer, it’s diet pop. I go through a half-dozen 2-liters of A&W or Cherry Pepsi every week, and I’ll often order a coke before deciding on what beer I want with my meal.

See? You’re carrying on with the self-righteousness even after being called on it. I’ve never been a soda drinker, water is my preferred drink. I find the cloying sweetness of soda disgusting, and I find that it doesn’t pair well with foods. But I suppose nestea and mayo is some great combination I’ve never tried.

It’s you who belittles me for liking Coke and Nestea, and not me belittling YOU for liking beer, or am I missing something here? You can stop being a hypocrite now, thanks.

For the record, these are the beers I’ve tried:

German: Becks, Jever (with cachaca; not bad, because it doesn’t taste much like beer:))

Canarian: Dorada, Tropical, Mahou, Reina

European: Heineken, Delirium Tremens (some Belgian beer with 100000% alcohol)

International: Coronita (I like that one, with lemon), Budweiser, Foster’s (the worst I tried), Cristal (from Peru, not bad)

I think it’s in step one.

See, those are horrible beers (except Tremens). No wonder you don’t like it.

And Tremens is not a beer for someone who doesn’t like beer.

Huh? Where have I belittled you? You’re the one who supposes that people drink beer to prove their manhood, you say that I prove your point because I don’t like sugary soft drinks, and then call me a hypocrite for suggesting that those drinks don’t go well with meals. So evidently you believe that people who drink beer are compensating, and folks who don’t like soda are… belittling you? I think you’re a being a little self-absorbed there. It’s fine that you don’t like beer–hey, I don’t like soda! Let’s call it even.

But, if you’re open to trying some other beers, it doesn’t look like you’ve had any wheat beers so maybe try one of those. They’re typically not hoppy (perhaps that’s where you’re getting the medicinal flavors?) There are also fruit flavored ones, usually raspberry or cherry, which you might be more your taste because they’re usually a bit sweeter than regular beers.

Hey guys! Oh, hey. Um, HEY SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THE FAGDANCE OR I WILL MONKEYFUCK YOUR NEPHEW! FFS, it’s a goddamned thread about beer. The only thing dumber that going all livejournal on it is the guy who has managed to taste upwards of eight different beers in his life having an opinion.

H.

Amen.

I’m not a big beer fan, can take or leave the bulk of it. But some friends and I recently ate a localish German restaurant, and I had the Kostritzer Schwarzbier, and it was great. Great enough that I then was very, very disappointed to be completely unable to find it in any local store.

I just had Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter today. Sweet Christing potatoes that’s delicious.

Tonight, I sipped Harpoon’s latest 100 Barrel Series release, Catamount Maple Wheat, whilst watching 24. The show kinda sucked, and the beer wasn’t much better.

Sure, it had the body of a wheat ale, but the flavor was incredibly bland and I couldn’t taste even the slightest hint of maple.

It’s too bad. Harpoon should know how to harness the power of maple, brewing as they do here in Vermont (and/or Massachusetts)…

The maple on the Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale is pretty blatant, and very enjoyable IMHO.

Stop talking through your ass. Trying “upwards of eight” brands of beer is more than enough to form an opinion. I don’t need to try fifty brands to know that I don’t like it. Arrogant prick.

My previous favorite beer, but the St. Peter’s Old Style Porter knocked it off the top in the porter category.

H.

p.s. Hey Format, maybe you should get some more capitals in that name, see if that makes me seem less arrogant.

What do capitals have to do with arrogance?

I really seem to have hit upon a big specimen of forum ass here.

You came into a thread dedicated to people talking about beer and your big post was about how you don’t like beer, stated that people who drink beer do so because they think it makes them manly and then said that you have a preference for Nestea.

Do you honestly not see where you may have gone wrong here?

Fack no, you joke me! 2 litres of cherry coke practically every day? I’m surprised the entire contents of your body haven’t dissolved, man!

I had no idea Sam Smith’s stuff was so highly regarded - there are a few pubs my mates and I tend to go to in my neck of the woods that are Sam Smith’s owned, as they’re great for a cheap (only 2 quid) pint of surprisingly good stuff. We’ve never really thought any more of it. I’ve not tried to Taddy Porter though, usually just Alpine or the wheat beer - will have to give it a go next time I’m in. When it comes to Sam Smith’s though, never try their own coke - it tastes like fucking distilled diabetes.

Best beers I can remember having came from York Brewery - we used to visit it a lot when I was at uni there, usually for football socials. Stonewall was absolutely delicious (albeit a bit weak, more of a session beer), and Centurion’s Ghost was potent stuff. I also have kind of a soft spot for Paulaner and Duvel, amidst the more widely available stuff.

Yes, I can see where you think I’ve gone wrong. But I don’t see a problem with saying I have tried quite a few beers and that I feel beer tastes like medicine. I’m not that stubborn that I have a problem admitting I was wrong, or apologizing. But in this instance, why can’t I talk about beer just because I happen not to like it? I don’t see this thread as invite only… Isn’t that normal, that in every thread about any given subject, some will like that subject and some will not? Why must I insist on this? Go into, say, the RE5 thread. Some say they love it, some say they hate it and it’s racist. Must the people who don’t like RE5 STFU and never post in that thread?

Also, I have no problem arguing back and forth about this, but when someone jumps to calling names and being a total smartass, I’ll usually stop arguing with that person. (And yes, I know I call people names, too. I’ve called you an ass, too, I remember. Because frankly, you were being one.)

Anyway, life’s too short. I’m not going to drink twenty other brands of beer to build an opinion that’ll finally be valid in Houngan’s eyes.