We have never talked about Beer

The reviews for it on BeerAdvocate seem to be split between, got it on tap (pretty decent) or out of the can (flat and not so great). I’d give it a shot if I could find it around here.

It is available in most big supermarkets here, but I have not tried it as I prefer a more hoppy IPA for the most part. Also, from what I have heard it isn’t that good. But with IPA’s that depends a lot on how much hops is too much hops for you.

Yeah Creemore is pretty good for a lager, especially when I go on a bike ride and stop in Creemore afterwards! They have a German Bock that is also pretty tasty. They also have another brand called Mad and Noisy that makes an India Pale lager that is pretty good.

Alesmith has some good brews; their Wee Heavy is excellent, if you like that sort of thing. As is Curmudgeon from Founders.

Budweiser is officially renaming their beer “America” for the summer.

https://twitter.com/Budweiser/status/729993201424175104

“We thought nothing was more iconic than Budweiser and nothing was more iconic than America,” says Tosh Hall, creative director at the can’s branding firm JKR.

Seems like an opportunity for Czech Budweiser to say the trademark hasn’t been in continuous use…

I’ve been discovering some yummy Gallic organic beers recently:

http://www.britt.fr/en/pageproduit/dremmwel-rousse-bio-beer

That and the Blonde are very tasty.

For the price i think TJs offers some beers that are an incredible value. The Stockyard stout and the yearly celebration ale are standouts. Also, the German and austrian brews are decent and good values.

Switching to another topic,

Why are Kolsch’s so hard to find? IMO the perfect summer beer and one of my favorite styles, I really wish examples of it were more widely available.

They’re relatively widely available here. Not as much as they should be, but not hard to find. If a pub/shop serves more than one German beer, chances are one of them will be a Koelsch. And golden ales, which are pretty similar in concept, are very common.

I hear ya! A couple of years ago I found a Kolsch I really liked. But after a few months I could no longer find it… and I searched far and wide (but admittedly not very hard!) for years before I found another one.

Knowing that golden ales are similar gives me some leads on finding some new varieties.

Someone from Cologne would probably disagree - they wouldn’t meet the Reinheitsgebot, for sure. But I find they taste pretty similar, and they’re certainly adjacent styles.

In general I am done with beer outside of sours, which I love and will always love. La Folie I am looking at you. That said I have discovered Gose of late. The style itself is intriguing and very appealing to me though most of them miss the mark for me personally. That said, Martin House The Salty Lady is great. It is very salty and a little sour. It very much reminds me of old school lemon-lime gatorade in the glass bottle, minus the sweet.

Lately I’ve been thinking about Berliner Weisse and a dollop of raspberry syrup.

Another great Gose is the Destihl Wild Sour Series Here Gose Nothin. Its a 4 pack so vs the 6 pack Salty Lady I side with quantity. But beer for beer I think its better.

So my friend Charles (his real name is Troy) brought this to Shoot Club tonight.

It’s got some nice hops to it. For a Belgian style ale it’s pretty good. I don’t really like how active the Belgian ales and whites are in general, and I could tell it was going down that road right away, but it doesn’t go so far down that road as to turn me off.

-xtien

Ommegang has good stuff usually, though I’ve never tried the GoT line. They sell it at Costco, though, so maybe…

So Tom’s beer experience thread in gaming made me intrigued about Left Hand Brewing’s Nitro Milk Stout. It sounds pretty good, and I just happen to have lots of glassware, including proper pub glasses for that.

So I was interested in trying it, but when we went to our local big craft beer store here in Northern Virginia (Total Wine), they seem to be totally out of Nitro Milk Stout, at least at the two locations we visited. I should say, they were out of six-packs of it. We found three loose bottles of it, so we decided to put together our own sixpack.

They did have plenty of Left Hand Milk Stout marked “Sweet”, not “Nitro”. So we grabbed a few bottles of that too.

Anyone ever had that latter beer? I’m almost afraid that if the Nitro is kind of sweet for my palate, the “Sweet” milk stout is really going to be over the top.

I think that’s the bottle I have in my fridge. Like this?

I’ll let you know how it is tonight.

Can you not get beer delivered where you are?

Thanks Ginger, that’s definitely it, with the purple label and the cow on the front!

We can get beer delivered, but I figured we’d try a few to see before making that sort of commitment. ;) Plus, it just feels weird to be in a place with 8 craft beer big box stores and ordering mail order anyway.

I’ll do the Nitro tonight probably, but let me know how the purple label is too!

As I don’t have a car, getting beer delivered is a godsend.