We have never talked about Beer

Hope ya enjoy the milk stout, @triggercut. As I’ve noted elsewhere, it’s more or less the only beer I can get through a pint of when out with friends, so I dunno if that’s a point in its favor or not!

I hadn’t realized before the discussion around Tom’s stream that there were two different formulations of it. Clearly I should build a six pack (one of each, plus four beers the missus likes, haha) and test.

Have been trying a lot of Octoberfest beers this year. So far the best one I’ve had has been the Sam Adams. I was very disappointed by Sierra Nevada’s version this year. Last year’s was one of the best beers I’ve ever had and this year’s is just no doing it for me. For those that don’t know, they started a program last year where they partner with a famous German brewer to produce a limited run Octoberfest.

Verdict: Thumbs up. It’s definitely sweeter than your typical UK/Irish stout, but not overly so.

Awesome. Thanks for bravely going first!

I actually just got back from my local store, having tried to find Nitro (which they surprisingly did not have) but settling for purple label, so hearing this is good news.

QT3 caused a run on nationals stocks of the Nitro, apparently.

Thanks Tombama.

It certainly is a tasty beverage. I discovered it a few weeks ago in a bar in New York.

I tried an oatmeal stout and a coffee stout yesterday, neither were particularly good. Long live the Nitro milk stout.

A couple of other Nitro beers that are very good is you can find them are Caffreys and Kilkenny, These are more like Irish Amber Ale’s but are similar to the milk stout nitro but not quite as sweet. These were my beers of choice growing up in England.

Now I want to taste a good chocolate stout. Any suggestions?

The left hand nitro has a hint of cocoa.

The regular milk stout has a bit of cocoa too, but seems to tend much more to the mocha/coffee end of that spectrum.

(Debate drinking has commenced.)

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout

Ooh this is big. Big and rich. Decadent. And made by Brooklyn so easy to find I bet.

Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout

This is British so I don’t know how easy it is to get in the US? It basically tastes of a cocoa-ey chocolate milkshake. A real treat.

Southern Tier Choklat

Another big bastard. I can’t remember too many specifics unfortunately, but it’s great. I found it in a fairly standard beer shop in Brooklyn last December when on holiday so I guess it’s pretty well distributed.

Saugatuck Neapolitan Milk Stout

Throwing this in as a wild card but it’s worth a try for being so wacky. Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and you get all the flavours. Legit. I found this in the UK so I am pretty sure it must be distributed in the US reasonably widely.

I had a breakfast stout yesterday that was quite pleasant, the milk stout is still the best though.

I had a bottle of chocolate stout from Sam Adams long ago. It was a large bottle, maybe a quart? Probably a little less. It was a limited edition that my wife brought home from her job. Embossed silver metallic label. It was amazing. I bet I could get that Brookyn one down here. They have a lot of Brooklyn beers in Publix.

Really? Sam’s Smith’s gimmick is generally doing slightly crappier versions of nice beers a lot cheaper than your typical London pub (no idea how their prices compare up north). I like going to Sam Smith’s pubs for that reason, but I’d never choose to drink, say, a Sam Smith’s wheat beer over an Erdinger or Paulaner (let alone a good craft one). But I haven’t had their chocolate stout, so maybe it’s better than their other beers.

I haven’t had that many chocolate stouts myself, as I prefer Rauchbier, but I quite like the one Young’s put out.

Yeah, the more interesting bottled stuff that Sams make is really good! That one, Taddy Porter, the Oatmeal Stout and the Imperial Stout are all very good for the price. They are trad Brit stuff rather than big ole crazy craft. I like it substantially more than the Young’s chocolate stout (had it for the first time in years on Sunday) as the Young’s just didn’t have as much chocolateyness for me.

Since Nitro milk stout seems to be the new unofficial official beer of QT3.

http://www.northhighbrewing.com/index.php/menu

Oh no:

http://lefthandbrewing.com/contact/nitro-recall/

Maybe that’s why it is difficult to find in stores right now. My local total wine was supposed have many in stock they must have got recalled.

My replacement today is a Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout. It is definitely more bitter than the nitro with a real underlying coffee taste. Still a pleasant enough drink until I can get my hands on more of the milk stout.

That explains why my second attempt at finding some also failed despite going to a store listed on their website as stocking the stuff. Bah.

Ooh, exploding bottles! Sounds fun.

A lot of ale in the UK has secondary fermentation in the bottle as standard. Beard + sandal sporting beer activists from the 1970s demand it.

http://www.camra.org.uk/press-releases/-/asset_publisher/R16Ta0pf6w5B/content/bristol-brewery-becomes-first-in-world-to-be-granted-camra-says-this-is-real-ale-accreditation-for-canned-beer

For those in the Real Ale Brewing Company distribution area, the Brewer’s Cut Session IPA may be the best IPA I’ve ever had. It’s subtle and comfortable - hell, even my wife likes it and she usually hates IPAs.