We have never talked about Beer

For anybody that wants to fund where to get any of the Left Hand products (including the milk stout nitro) locally in the U.S., you can use this link:

http://lefthandbrewing.com/beer-finder/

had some absolute bangers last night but this one was the champ:

I had this the other day, it was magnificent.

Washed down nicely the chicken wings that I was eating.

Hey, I can post pictures too! We went out Christmas shopping last Sunday and ended up in Frederick MD. Ate at a great little Tapas place and had an oatmeal stout from … as it turns out… the brewery next door (Brewer’s Alley):

I really liked it! They had a Nut Brown Ale I wanted to try but since I was the driver, I decided discretion was the better part of valor.

A couple of days later I picked up this at the local World Market:

Now that is good. Also full of alcohol. Yum!

We get Knee Deep products here but I have never seen that one. Might have to keep an eye out for it.

Dragon’s milk is excellent but I find it very heavy, can only drink one before going on to something softer.

I started dozing off after the one I had, so I think I agree with you. The Redskins game may have possibly contributed to that, though.

I wasn’t as into the Dragon’s Milk. It was a little more alcohol forward and thin? than I prefer in a stout. I felt a little bit like someone had splashed a little vodka in my beer.

I love Dragon’s Milk. Heavy alcohol content and a heavy feeling. It’s absolutely not a beer you can drink bottle after bottle of though.

Luckily my MO is one beer, period, though I cheat sometimes and make it one of the larger bottles (which are the only way to get a lot of the more interesting brews). Dragon’s Milk I find excellent, and while it has a high ABV it is to me less boozy than some similar stouts.

I do have a weakness for barrel-aged stouts, though. Oskar Blues’ Ted-Fiddy barrle aged, Great Divide Yeti (regular or barrel aged), Alesmith has one that’s great, as does Keegan…a whole lot of 'em. There are some that aren’t that hot, too.

I also like barrel-aged ales, like HIbernator or Old Stock or the Wee Heavies like Backwoods Bastard.

Yes, the whole one bottle a day max I subscribe too kinda falls apart with some of those bombers. Especially those with 10-14% alcohol content.

I really need to check the ABV more often because I have gotten myself needlessly drunk a few times with those.

I am such a lightweight these days. A far cry from my college years, but that’s a good thing for sure. I do love the taste of a lot of the barrel-aged beers, but the ABV is sometimes over the top for me.

When we go out to a brew pub to eat I will usually have 2 beers. I love IPA’s, but because of the alcohol content of many of them I find myself ordering based on alcohol. Only one high alcohol IPA, then something lower is the norm now.

best xmas beer ever.

My wife got me a bottle of DuClaw’s Dirty Little Freak in my stocking today.

It’s describes as a ‘coconut caramel chocolate’ brown ale, so there’s a lot going on. Actually that’s the same ingredjiennts as the Girl Scout Samoa cookies! I think it is less successful in a beer. Not terrible, but not a top tier for me.

I did get some really neat beer glasses, though, some Teku beer glasses:

They are fabulous (and they were cheaper before…)

I am not a beer guy. I don’t like beer. In fact, I think this is the first time I’ve been in this thread (hai guyz, I am a n00b!). But thanks to @Chappers, I do like this vaguely beer-like stuff called Milk Stout Nitro from Left Hand Brewery. I don’t even mind the fact that it has a slightly beery undertaste. It’s basically a milkshake that gets you a little tipsy. What’s not to love?

Unfortunately, it’s been nearly impossible to find it around where I live. @ChristienMurawski and I have hounded the local liquor store that used to carry it. They eventually just said we could leave a phone number and they’ll call us if they ever get it back in. That was probably three weeks ago. Still no call.

So today a ginormous box arrives. Inside are two six-packs of Milk Stout Nitro, delivered from @Chappers! What an awesome set-up for our New Years’ Eve!

There is also some kind of weird rum and ginger beer for a concoction called. I’m skeptical. Not as skeptical as I would be if it has been recommended by someone other than the guy who turned me on to Milk Stout Nitro. But still skeptical. Are we allowed to talk about rum in this thread? If so, I will report back.

-Tom

You’re welcome @tomchick. I think I speak for everyone on this forum in that we really appreciate what you do and this great little community you have built.

The talk about the rum may need to be reserved for the “I am drunk” thread, especially if you like it as much as I do. They have a double strength version of the rum as well but I thought that I would ease you in gently.

@tomchick fyi, there is a ‘non-nitro’ version of Milk Stout from the Left Handers. I found it fully as enjoyable as the Nitro version (even though I do like it, I sort of in my heart think that the Nitro version is being made to appeal to hipsters - this is not based on any evidence, just on my weird way of thinking).

Of course, it’s better if people send you stuff directly, that way you don’t even have to go out shopping. But if you ever did go to the store, I just wanted to let you know there’s an alternative to the nitro version.

Great Divide’s Yeti is also a great stout which I think is as drinkable as the Left Hand, as is Oskar Blue’s Ten-Fiddy. Both also come in barrel-aged versions for more oomph, on the palette and in alcohol content. I do like the Left Hand as well, though. No shortage of the Nitro or other variety here.

Yeti is one of the best readily available RIS I’ve ever had, soooo good. Splurged on a bottle of the Oak aged Espresso Yeti last year and it was delectable.