Weird PC Behavior, Three Monitors all Blinked, OBS Stopped Recording

So I was doing a stream of X4’s upcoming expansion, Split Vendetta, and at one moment, all three of my monitors went black. When they came back into existence, OBS was still streaming, but apparently something about a codec crashing caused it to stop recording. I checked X1 Precision and found no errors or problems (though the memory was a bit hot) and there were no error messages or anything anywhere else I could find.

Might anyone know what could cause such an occurrence? Thanks in advance.

K according to the OBS folks on their Discord, it could be a driver crash, which I guess is possible given the game was a beta.

This happens to me occasionally when playing WoW. All 3 monitors go haywire for a few seconds, then blank, then back to normal, everything still running. No error messages.

Running an Nvidia 980ti with the latest drivers.

Yup, sounds like a driver crash. Should be in your event log.

I’d never used event log before today, it’s amazing. This I was in the system portion at the time.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000f0
CMDre 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Side note, how can one do a multi-line quote in Discord?

It’s actually fucking terrible. Driver crashes are one of the few things that get logged. Linux admins like myself rage about it often.

Yeah, the driver threw an error code but windows couldn’t translate it. This happens daily.

On the EVGA forums they told me to put my card in debug mode since it might be hardware related, which I hope it isn’t. I pray nothing is wrong.

You said the game was beta. Don’t lose any sleep over it until it starts happening in other games that were working previously.

Heh I will try, thank you.

So my videocard died this morning. Was just playing WoW and all three monitors fritzed, which as I posted above isn’t totally remarkable, but then I started smelling ozone. Then it got worse and worse. Shut down everything thinking there was an actual fire going on inside my PC case.

I pulled everything apart, crossed my fingers, cleaned out all the usual nooks and crannies, then turned it on again. Got the BIOS bootup, but then when it switched to Windows, just blank.

OK, so that narrows it down. I unplugged the videocard and plugged an HDMI cable into the on-board video port and it booted up just fine.

So I rolled the dice, ordered a 2080 Super from Best Buy, picked it up 20 minutes later and am back up and running.

Expensive, yes, but my PC is my primary mode of entertainment during this Coronavirus thing, so I think it’s worth it.

Of course I’m bottlenecked by my older CPU, a 6700K, so at some point I’ll need to replace my motherboard and CPU. Ugh.

Oh my god. I’m glad your PC is mostly okay! Which video card did you have?

I had a 980ti. It was time to upgrade, but I would have preferred more control of the timing!

If you ever learn how to schedule a PC component failure (besides the obvious self-destruction methods), please share it with the rest of us.