West Side Story (2020) - Spielberg, Jets, Sharks

Yeah. I would include the The Thing prequel as well. Just not needed.

Trailer premiered during the Oscars last night.

Not my cup of tea.

The trailer answered my question!

Paaassssssss.

This trailer just made me want to see the other Nuyorican musical coming out this year.

That was horrific for the brief flashes of Asselm Borgelt.

-Tom

Trying to figure out if Asselm Borgelt is an anagram. Google came up zippo on the name. Perhaps Lassem Telgorb? I’ll try that one…

Totally in for this. Music is great and I’m always up for remakes.

I very much want to see the song ‘America’ which I think is happening here –

–but I probably won’t bother with the rest of it. I saw the show on Broadway shortly before lockdown and America was the only part I liked. But I really liked it.

Make a saving throw vs. extreme revulsion. If you roll a natural 20, you can click on this.

-Tom

Good lord…

You warned me. Probably misspelled the name on purpose to prevent collateral damage.

Teach me to dig in plots labeled night soil.

I will go see this, regardless of how much I love the original version, because when theaters reopen I will go see every movie I possibly can.

Lord I have missed going to the theater so much.

I love the original, but recently I found out the music was bastardized for the film, and that the Broadway musical had much more complex and darker music.

I think this tries to bring back the original score, so I’m interested.

You are correct about the musical. When the theatrical version was revived in the '80s, it had its off-Broadway premiere in Miami. I think that was because a Miami businessman was the principal backer. Anyway, my Dad was the concert master for that performance and the conductor was Leonard Bernstein himself. It was a magical evening for me and, for my Dad, one of the great experiences of his long career.

I kind of want to see what Spielberg has done with this and I kind of don’t, because it’s hard to see how I won’t be disappointed.

My understanding is the stage version also orders the scenes a little differently than the movie. “Gee, Officer Krupke” occurs after the rumble in the stage show, but before the rumble in the film. And the “Cool” number happens onstage before the rumble, instead of after it.

There are also edits in the dialogue to “clean it up” for the movie version.

I was talking about purely musical changes.

Looing into it I found this:

My intent was not to contradict but offered as a ‘yes, and.’

Spielberg is not known for subtlety so how the music is treated will be interesting.

Oh yes. This could be a disaster. But I’m in

I’m only interested in this movie because it’s Spielberg. Genuinely curious why he picked a musical to direct, and why this one.

Wow, love this!

Spielberg’s in the twilight of his career. He’s 74. His projects the last decade are all over the place. The Post? Warhorse? Ready Player One? Bridge of Spies?

His next movie is The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara.

The Mortara case (Italian: caso Mortara ) was an Italian cause célèbre that captured the attention of much of Europe and North America in the 1850s and 1860s. It concerned the Papal States’ seizure of a six-year-old boy named Edgardo Mortara from his Jewish family in Bologna, on the basis of a former servant’s testimony that she had administered an emergency baptism to the boy when he fell ill as an infant. Mortara grew up as a Catholic under the protection of Pope Pius IX, who refused his parents’ desperate pleas for his return, and eventually became a priest. The domestic and international outrage against the pontifical state’s actions may have contributed to its downfall amid the unification of Italy.