Western fires come to Qt3: Nesrie's mom lost her house

I do. I didn’t say anything because honestly I don’t know what to say… and I am just going to cry again. I am just sort of blown away by it all.

But be assured @DoomMunky asked permission and everything.

And mom is still in that I don’t deserve anything and other people are worse off than me stage, so I am struggling with trying to help her more. She upped her already maxed out credit card yesterday or the day before, so she could buy more things rather than just take the cash I tried to give her, but so far gifts from others she has not refused. I had some friends stop by with some things she is now wearing!

Please, please don’t anyone stretch yourself thin. Mom does have insurance, it’s just well I think they should stop calling it any kind of emergency fund, and I prepared for this transition just, you know, didn’t actually plan on her losing everything. I guess i didn’t put massive city fire on the list of risks.

Don’t be concerned. We’re all happy to give a little of what we have to help out! In my case, it’s probably good for my backlog anyway, a little less going to games I’ll never play. :)

Don’t worry about us Nesrie. I only wish I could do more.

But do take care of yourself and your mum. I hope she realises she is worth the help and that you 2 can find a way to make things work. I read you were apprehensive about it, and understandably so. If you need us, we are here to lend you an ear…

Thanks for confirming, Nesrie.

FWIW, as least as far as I’m concerned, I’m looking to help you out a bit in general. If using the resources for your family is what you want to do, great, do that. If you have needs of your own, do that too.

Yes! All with Nesrie’s blessing, of course.

I’ll be passing it all over to Nesrie tomorrow, so if you want to be part of a nice big lump sum to Nesrie’s family, now’s your chance!

If any donations come in after tomorrow, of course, I will pass those along as well.

For Nesrie!!

Y’all are amazing. Nesrie’s family just received $2,150 because of your generosity. (Paypal fees were about 1%, but I covered those in addition to my contribution)

@Nesrie, we love you and want to help you through this time! Buy pizzas, buy bathmats, buy some breathing room. We just hope you feel loved and this helps you breathe easy.

Thank you, everyone. Qt3 is pretty rad.

thanks @DoomMunky for putting this together, happy to have a way to help!

Thank you so much @DoomMunky and QT3 at large. I am deeply touched and the generosity is so unexpected and precious. I don’t have a huge plan which is unusual for me, but I think things mom wants or mumbles about or says kind of in an off hand way will start showing up like elves have moved into the place, little QT3 elves.

I’m going to say it just one more time: you are family. We are family. QT3 is family.

Damn right we are!

So…

A brief update and then a solicitation for some advice.

Mom got her first shipment of clothes I’ve purchased for her, new stuff from Costco, jeans, fall/winter jacket, and soft sneakers. Everything fit well. It’s hard to read her with this sort of thing, but if she wears it, she likes it.

She got a great surprise of some replacement China from a member here as well, same pattern as the lost set shown. I won’t out this person, but it was so thoughtful. I was beyond touched and mom quickly laid down tissue to protect the pieces until we have a more permanent location for them (she’s just not sure what she wants in her room yet).

And finally, the advice needed.

As many of you know. I don’t drink coffee. Most individuals in my family do. Mom is a daily coffee drinker, and I have this old Keurig she’s been using. I don’t even remember when I got it, and it works fine. I mostly use it during deep winter for some painless cocoa. But she struggles sometimes using it. It doesn’t automatically turn off, and it’s kind of bulky. I can see she’s trying squeeze her stuff around it (I don’t have any storage for k-cups or anything).

I know she likes K-cup machines, so we’ll stick with that but anything else. Let’s face it, any coffee type machine even with tea or cocoa use is never going to get tested my use of it.

I see Cuisinart has some models that look like they have that auto on/off, and maybe a smaller footprint kind thing.

Does anyone here use Keurig and Cuisinart for their daily caffeine dose and really like their machine, preferably one that can be used by someone who still asks me how to use a Roku remote, you know the kind that has like 6 buttons on it.

I used to use the regular old Keurig machine (but the line up has changed since I used one). There isn’t a need for an auto off or anything. Put the cup in, put your mug under and press the button for the size drink you want. They couldn’t be simpler. I would get one direct from them, whatever model fits your price range.

So yours doesn’t have a reservoir, you just pour as you go? I think it’s the reservoir she concerned about for it not turning off. I mean I don’t care if it glows with it’s LED lights, but she seemed concerned it was “on.”

My mom is very tech impaired and they ended up getting this one that she doesn’t have an issue with. It has a small reservoir. I can’t speak to the quality, unfortunately.

Since the COVID lockdown hit, we’ve been drinking a ton of coffee. Between my wife and I our Keurig goes through around 8 cups a day. The reservoir is big enough for around 4-5 cups, but still, refilling it is the biggest pita with the device. Which really isn’t much.

Ours looks like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K55-K-Classic-Coffee-Programmable/dp/B01BOU6DLE/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=keurig&qid=1601064685&sr=8-2&th=1

It comes in Rhubarb!

Or in my not at all sophisticated approach to things like this… red.

Sorry, I just realized I am mis-remembering (it’s been 10 years or so). I had it programmed to turn off, but don’t listen to me because I obviously don’t remember as well I as I thought I did.

There are very few people around here who could know less about coffee or their associated machines. The concept and the K-cups and all that makes sense, why you can get a 4oz or an 8oz using the same cup… err okay. It all taste awful to me so those coffee drinkers can choose between battery acid and muddy water as they see fit.

Yes, if you want a stronger cup you can go with a 6 or 8 oz. But you can also play games if you have a large mug and do a 6 and a 10 oz, or two 6 oz. With the same K-cup for a weaker brew or two K-cups for stronger.

All right. So more options for size must be a good thing. I’ll make sure it has that for sure then.