Westphalia: The End of the Thirty Years War Play by Forum

Am I Sweden or am I the dutch?

You are the Swedes and @Kolbex is the Dutch.

Agreed. I will ask you to update the board to make it official.

@Panzeh I am willing to assume 1 of your debt and give you two shiny battalions of troops in exchange for one of your prestige

I don’t need more troops at the moment, but I will give you the prestige if you take three of my debt.

Rules question - For a Power to claim a territory do all the circles have to be claimed or only one, assuming there are no enemy claims present?

I will pass, I don’t think prestige is worth that much (but really I’m just guessing)

Under the rules, a claim is the disc that sits on a territory (the circles) within an area (named space on the map). Different rules require different amounts of presence. So for example, Austria earns taxes at the end of the game based on areas without claims, France earns taxes at the end of the game based on areas with claims, and Bavaria and Sweden earns taxes based on claims (with a bonus for controlling a multi-territory area).

I’m not getting it so let me give a specific example: Bavaria wants to recatholicize Bohemia. Do I need to spend 3 units (one for each circle) or only one unit to place the claim and have it switch to Catholic? I assume one is enough if there are no other claims, but I don’t see the point of the extra circles in the territories.

In order to Recatholicize you must specifically possess all points of territory in the Area. So you would need all three in that case. The other two points of territory in your example aren’t vacant, but “possessed” by Austria (Austria owns all the “blanks”).

OK thanks @tomrussell. So to confirm, Bavaria could move into Bohemia, spend 3 units to place 3 claims and then if I still have all three claims at the start of my next military turn the it gets recatholicized? Is Austria considered an “enemy” in this case and could intercept even though we are considered “allies”?

The 30 Years War and the Peace of Westphalia is a fascinating period and topic. So I will be following along intently to see how the game unfolds.

No, Austria is not an enemy, and that would not be a legal move. Bavaria could only gain possession of that territory if Austria gave it to them, likely in exchange for something else. Most of Bavaria’s territorial aquisitions are going to come from trading with Austria rather than seizing/converting enemy territory (though it won’t hurt of course to beat up on Sweden a little). Note also that you’re going to have a maximum of seven claims on the board, and you start with two of them already in place, so 3 in Bohemia is going to be a big commitment. (But, on the other hand, if it stands at the end of the game it’s going to be worth minus 5 Debt: one for each claim, one for having all claims in the area, and one for it being Recatholicized.)

Thanks very much @tomrussell.

BUT you could recatholicize an area and then trade the claims away, right?

He could. It would stay Catholic, so it wouldn’t be worth much to Sweden. It would still benefit France or Austria though.

I updated the board to reflect the deal between Austria and Bavaria. Two units to Austria in exchange for a claim on Wurttemberg.

Are we ready to work through the Diplomacy steps?

@Kolbex hasn’t commented yet, and I don’t want to move forward without him. Also, he is going to have a decision on the next step (ships vs. troops in recruitment).

Forgive me for two things: the delay and the fact that I seem to have drawn a little on the map attempting to make it bigger on my phone (a feat made unnecessarily and atrociously difficult by Google’s page design).

I believe I am ready to move on. Just so I am clear: the Dutch sea box starts with no ships, I will have 3 units after the first recruitment phase, and since half of all ships in the box are discarded (rounding up) each turn, if I place one ship in the box it will start next turn with zero ships again, yes?

@Kolbex The Dutch start with 8 units and you will recruit two more so you have 10 to work with in total.