Westphalia: The End of the Thirty Years War Play by Forum

Ah, I initially missed the bit in the rules that says you get units based on your card and conflated armies with units. Rookie mistake. @CF_Kane you may wish to edit the “powers” post to correctly identify Sweden as Panzeh and the Dutch Republic as me to avoid future confusion.

@Kolbex We’re all rookies here. :)

On to recruitment! All powers recruit additional soldiers (and sailors, for the Dutch):

The chart below has the game state after the arrears phase and recruitment.

Power Prestige Debt Units Recruit
Austria 1 17 8 +1
Bavaria 0 11 7 +4
Dutch R. 2 10 10 +2
France 0 13 14 +6
Spain 5 19 10 +2
Sweden 2 12 8 +2
Pool 5 7 (-17)

@Kolbex, it is over to you to assign your pieces to either your army or your ships. You can assign up to 6 ships.

After that, we have the Italy phase, which effects France (@Cuthbert) and Spain (@Navaronegun).

Hold on, did everybody take on their new Debt?

Must we recruit?

Oops. Updated.

Yes, at least it is not optional in the rules as written (see 4c on page 11 of the rules). However, if there are fewer than 17 units in the pool, no one recruits. Recruitment is costless though, so there is no reason why you’d choose not to. Tom is referencing the arrears phase, which I forgot to include in the calculations in the post above (it has since been updated).

The Dutch will assign four units to ships.

Done. The Dutch have 4 ships and an army with six units.

Next phase is the Italy Phase.

I’ll just do the roll using rolz.org:

The lower of the two dice is a 3, so the French and Spanish each must choose whether to return 3 of their units to the pool or assume 3 debt.

@Navaronegun and @Cuthbert to decide.

Let’s leave Italy to the Italians.

Sorry, is that debt or troops?

Troops.

Spain drops to 7 troops. Over to @Cuthbert to decide for the French.

FYI Cuthbert has 14 troops, but France splits its troops between two armies (one in the Netherlands and one in the HRE).

3 troops out of the Netherlands @CF_Kane

So do the French armies now have 7 units in Lorraine and 4 in Brabant? Thanks.

Yes…

Note that France technically doesn’t have to decide which troops are with which army until the end of the Diplomacy Phase (and, of course, they might find someone willing to trade them some more).

OK, I see that now. Thanks @tomrussell.

@tomrussell once I decide, are they stuck there or can I reallocate each turn?

The rules would indicate that you can reshuffle your entire amount of units every turn. See 4h on page 12.

That’s correct.