Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

I thought the whole series was terrific. I enjoyed every minute of it. I expected the great performances we got from Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright, but I did not realize Evan Rachel Wood could work at that level.

So, how about one more drink to the The Woman in the Wyatt Shoes.

As far as the second season (in 2018, sob) goes, at least part of the plot will surely involve the inevitable reaction to the robot rebellion from forces based in “the real world,” right?
Are we thinking that the MiB is not killed, then?

For sure, if they were going to kill him, that would have been the time. I think the fact that we saw him get shot once means he doesn’t die.

Also, he got his wish! The hosts can fight back completely now.

They might have to build a time machine to send a terminator to kill the leader of the human rebellion, from the future.

GET IT?!?! Skynet is active! WWIII activated to kill the human race! A storm is coming!

Or maybe they have to get a dour bounty hunter with a flying cop car to find these replicants… ‘let me tell you about my mother.’

He did look oddly happy that he’d been shot.

meat locker room

ugh, I was wondering what kind of parking garage he was looking at…

I feel reconciled with the show, ep.10 made up for 9 episodes of mystery… I am totally burned by Lost. I was really afraid, they would not have a good finale, but they did, they wrapped up a lot of stuff in a meaningful way…
So let’s wait for the next narrative…

on the other hand, I what I really wanted was Westworld The Movie The Show… one robot goes berzerk, something more simplistic ;)

btw. this photograph, the stock image by Eric von Weber… he made the same photo with a guy who looked totally like JJ Abrams… but not quite. Coincidence?

Dude was so bored he triggered permadeath for everyone.

I think everyone is dead.

Excellent finale, in my opinion. Arnold’s modifications uncovered by Elsie ending up being part of Ford’s story was somewhat expected (as by previous speculation in this thread by us), but the ultimate reason for the narrative was indeed surprising and satisfying.

As for season 2, it will depend on how much they jump ahead in time. We know (or strongly suspect) William will be alive (the actor has renewed, and I doubt it will be flashbacks. They spent that bullet), so it’s likely it will be a Jurassic Park style story. The train connection is cut, all communications are so too, and the whole park is probably on an island, so we might be watching the rich guests having to struggle for survival as they are hunted by the hosts in a reversal of this season’s dynamics. It would have to be very compressed in time, though, since one would expect for some kind of armed response at some time when the outside world realizes something’s wrong (which might be days, and then some more time until they realize what’s wrong and the extent of it so they can mount an appropriate response).

Also, we will probably see Samurai hosts (and other time periods’ hosts) going wild. Westworld’s one border was sea, and another one was probably a border with a different themed park (as they share installations).

Assuming that Ford was doing the “Arnold” programming (which has not been explicitly confirmed but he seems like the only logical candidate), he set up the whole Maeve arc which led directly to a bunch of collateral kills. And he sicced Wyatt & co on the entire Delos board. I don’t think he would have blinked for a second at doing away with Elsie or the QA guy when they were on the verge of discovering his plan. Now, it’s true that we haven’t seen QA guy die on screen, and it’s possible you could argue that Elsie wasn’t actually killed by Bernard strangling her (which we did see), but the latter is a real stretch and the former…I guess we’ll see. I think it’s entirely possible he’s dead but it seems unclear why even bother having him if that’s all the use they were going to make of his character.

The exact opposite for me. I guessed the ultimate reason after episode 4, as linked, but then the show confused me because I thought Arnold was hiding like “ghost in the shell”:

HRose predicted it on his blog! :)

-Tom

Did anyone get bingo?

There are a number of things that seem ambiguous to me.

For example, Bernard says Maeve is not acting of her own will, but following some storyline written by Arnold, that at this point we think it’s Ford. But nonetheless, he’s about to say what Maeve is supposed to do when out of the park, and right that moment Maeve takes the pad and destroys it. That means something for sure, though it can be explained away.

Beside Elsie and the other security guy, also those in the control room are locked in, so it’s likely they are going to be kept as hostages, along with MiB and Charlotte.

And there’s something that bugs me. Before Armistice wakes up a fly lands on her. This is an odd choice I don’t understand because in the first episode this fly show up and I was sure at that time that it was the fly itself that “awakened” the hosts. Now it shows up again in the finale, and I wonder if this doesn’t play a role later on.

The fly didn’t awaken the hosts.

The point was that the hosts weren’t supposed to be even able to hurt a fly. Then we see a host smack it. Foreshadowing.

Yes, “symbolic”.

But this second time it was too gratuitous, and the fly didn’t get hurt. It just appeared.

Beside the fact it’s too much artistic license, I’m sure the hosts step on ants all the time.

so why is the maze inside/outside the skull?

Also, what happens when Maeve reaches the end of her narrative? It looks like she is not quite there yet, she might not join the rebellion…

So is Dolores the only true awakened? Teddy?

I guess one reason for having the symbol under the scalp could be to trigger the maze quest for the Ghost Nation hosts?

I recall the fly turning up a couple times in the earlier episode, maybe I’m wrong though. As in, wouldn’t harm a fly. Then Dolores harms one. The fly this time signified that killing was imminent, and it was the humans turn to get squashed like bugs.

[quote]Beside the fact it’s too much artistic license, I’m sure the hosts step on ants all the time.
[/quote]
I think the difference from stepping on ants, is that slapping the fly was a conscious decision to kill a living creature. No-one is really conscious that they’re stepping on ants are they?

And! Can you be so sure the ants, if any, weren’t mechanical as well? ;)
The snake was. The early material told us that flies were the only living things except for the guests.

For someone who predicted the whole thing on their blog weeks ago, you’re way off base with flies awakening hosts and jockeying for major roles in season 2. ;)

I got the feeling Maeve broke free of the narrative and truly awakened at the end there.

In the prior scene with Bernard when he revealed she was still following a script, we saw her code on the screen dictating that she was to ‘infiltrate the mainland’ after getting to the train (which also indicated that Westworld is on an island).

Then Ford’s speech:

Then I realized someone was paying attention. Someone who could change. So I began to compose a new story, for them. It begins with the birth of a new people. And the choices they will have to make. And the people they will decide to become.

The last half of which plays over the top of the scene with Maeve on the train with the mother and child, when she comes to the decision to turn back to the park.

Of course I don’t think Ford seriously wanted her to infiltrate the mainland, so maybe he planted the mother and child there to awaken her as well, and return her to the fold after she’d created the diversion… who knows! One for HRose’s blog next year. :)

The show managed to do away with my criticism of why did the hosts need to suffer. Suffering was the point. Suffering to become conscious and pissed off at humans.

Neat trick.