Westworld - Hopkins, robots, six-guns

This is an excellent point. They certainly are exploring different and more complex issues in the series, perhaps that’s the advantage of a series.

The guy accompaning Newton (the robot couple I guess) is pretty badass looking though they are way overdoing it with his black leather vest corset.

What if in the third season they threw digitally recreated Yul Brenner as a new bad ass villian, a Gen 2 type host. I bet he’s spoken enough lines in movies that you could capture all his phenomes and recreate his voice for dialog.

Is he, though?

You just know the Trumplets would be first in line.

It reminds me of Bucky’s leather jacket from Winter Soldier.

Who says that? The people that programmed them made them evil, but surely she understands that they are robots and have been told lies to turn them into the “reprehensible” people they are.

That is what I was thinking, in how this makes her even more ruthless, willing to kill her own kind rather than convert them (like teddy)

They’re fundamentally the characters they’ve been programmed to be. Sure, maybe she could take their bodies and have Bernard or somebody write new, better people into them, but short of that, even if she awakened them into sapience they’d still be scumbags. I mean, Dolores and Maeve may be making their own decisions now (the word “may” is key there), but they’re still making them in light of the characters they were assigned.

I guess her dad who used to be a cannibal cultist gets a pass for his prior programming.

I don’t think she even knows that, but also he’s her dad. (Not really, of course, but she still feels like he is.)

PS: It’s worth noting that it’s not like any of the hosts can actually die.

She’s being awfully judge-y for someone who murdered a bunch of party-goers.

But, you make a good point. I was actually thinking she was going to have all of the hosts die during the fight, and then she would bring them back to life, like she did before. Further making her look like the god she is pretending to be. (and kind of is, honestly)

She’s not viewing humans as people, and rightly so. They are some kind of different species that is unalterably opposed to her own species and that has been treating her race as a slave people.

She probably believe, correctly IMO, that there can be no peace between her people and Delos. It’s kill or be destroyed.

Plus the party-goers were all high-level Delos execs, not random guests. And frankly even most of the random guests have been doing vile things to her people.

How many humans have treated the robots with any dignity or respect. I can think of two 1) Arnold and 2) Felix. Am I missing anyone? Why should she treat the party-goers with any sense of compassion. How have they treated her and her kind?

But she also isn’t viewing her own people as people either. They are expendable pawns, not lost brothers that could be redeemed.

I loved the first season but I am very underwhelmed by the current season. I don’t know if it’s a matter of expectation or what (since I had no idea what I was in for when I watched the first episode of Season 1).

The writing and acting seems poorer, the time lapse segments are much less natural and mysterious (it had a real purpose in S1 that rewarded you for paying attention, it’s too blatent and used only for cliche foreshadowing in S2), the fort assault team was dumb (even if you go by the theory that it was an internal team that lost their training), etc…

Also, wasn’t the logic that the hosts didn’t use real guns, they used guns that didn’t penetrate skin on real humans but acted like real bullets to hosts? If so how do so many hosts have guns that can kill people?

The identity of our mystery woman is obviously answered later in the season, but I wanted to ask you about the guns. There’s been some confusion about this, and they play a key moment in your opening. Obviously, they can tell if they’re aimed at a human or a host. But do the guns fire bullets at different speeds, depending on who they’re aimed at? Or do the somehow internally switch ammo from lethal to nonlethal? Or is it something else?

They do slow down and create more of a bruise effect. There’s a safety mechanism that’s locked in when it’s on a human that it creates a different [velocity] for the bullet.

Same here. Season 2 doesn’t have the mystery and sense of place as Season 1 had. In S1, I loved just watching the characters, human and host alike, interact with the world that was created. The new season seems to mostly be about characters I don’t care much about trying to kill each other. For whatever reason, I’m not at all invested in who wins this battle.

So does that mean the guns are also self aware and want to kill humans too? I"m more confused now than I was before.

None of Westworld makes any kind of sense when you think about it.

I really loved the second episode of season two where we got to see a bit about how Westworld was formed in the early days and got to explore a bit about the wider world.

I liked the start of episode three where we got to see another of Westworld’s sister parks. The machinations of Dolores were kind of meh, and I’ll have to agree with those that said the tactics on both sides in the fort fight were pretty pathetic. I dunno, best case is Charlotte Hale deliberately sent in the Delos Security on a foolish frontal assault so she could sneak in the back and get the Abernathy robot.

Explaining the tech details isn’t a focus of the show. It’s in some future time but they don’t obsess over it which I like. They could easily get bogged down in endless exposition otherwise. Don’t want a bunch of Star Trek “technobabble” being tossed around.

I was really, really liking this season - more than the 1st - until essentially the fort fight part of the episode. Not only was that whole setup and implementation pretty dumb, but the characterizations from then on and in the remainder of the episode seemed to just stray and wander off into “well, we think this would be cool now” territory without any coherence. But the action scenes were terrible.

They really need to more clearly state the rules of the park and hosts – do they “die” just because they have a computer reaction go getting hit, or are they actually synthetic humans who only die if they’re mortally wounded (aside from breaking down for AI/other reasons). Given the opening shots and last season, I thought that the modern hosts (as opposed to the more mechanical ones that opened the park) were essentially manufactured human bodies with some additional programming capabilities. This season hosts seem to be raised from the dead whenever Delores wants regardless of the bullet holes in them.

Don’t think the guns are aware - the safety mechanism in the guns (or the bullets themselves, as I think in other interviews Nolan called them “smart munitions”) was broken by what Ford did - he essentially changed the park rules, which affected the park tech in addition to the hosts themselves.

I don’t understand how that tied into the specific gun that Delores “found” last season though - if that was somehow important as an item, other than to trigger her current trajectory.