We've got movie sign? - MST3K Kickstarts Netflix series

I guess, it is disappointing only because I think some of the charm came from the fact that the show was made in Minnesota with local people and no budget. That, along with the tape-trading, made the show feel really indie and underground.

Jonah Ray, huh? Alright… I’m not a follower of his, but I’ve seen the Nerdist once or twice. I can see it being a good fit. My fanboy dream is for them to announce is that they’ve hired Elliot Kalan (former Daily Show head writer and Flophouse podcaster and guy who said he would love to be involved) as a writer.

OK, I’m on board with Jonah Ray. Nobody will ever be Joel, but I think Jonah Ray is a great choice.

So, what do we think about the reward tiers? 100 bucks is pretty steep for all of the new episodes.

It’s important to remember that they’re basically movies. So $100 is not that steep -if- they produce a full 12 episodes. You will still probably be able to get them cheaper afterwards. $35 for a digital copy of one episode is crazypants, though, and since I can’t justify $100, that prices me out entirely.

That also, if I’m reading right, gets you a t-shirt, coffee mug, and key chain.

Yeah, but… this is a pre-order. And you can get an MST3K dvd (with extras/inserts) for 30-40 bucks, and they have 4 movies in them.

IF they produce 12 episodes, it isn’t that pricey. But IF they do 3, 100 bucks is quite a price to pay.

Honestly, the only thing stopping me from contributing is the price points. 35 for 1 episode is a bit… much. And 100 is too much for a pre-order.

EDIT:
I didn’t see the previous reward tiers were included. Ah… I don’t kickstart much, so I didn’t see that. That softens the blow a bit, but I am not going to wear the t-shirt. I do like coffee mugs though.

I still sort of wish there was a guaranteed digital option that was a lot more affordable. Not having cable, real Prime (just a couple more months of student trial to get me through Xmas), Hulu, etc., if the show winds up anywhere but Netflix, I’ll never see it legitimately :(

I agree. It’s way too expensive to actually get the shows. I’m thrilled with Jonah Ray, but I’m waiting to contribute until we hear the rest of the cast and where the episodes will be shown. If it’s a place that I have access to, I’ll give them some money, but I can’t really afford $100 for access to all the episodes.

If they do 12 episodes it’s 8.30 an episode which is even cheaper than many Rifftrax. This is also to own them, I’m sure they are going to be aired someplace that doesn’t require purchase.

As to the cast, the rumor from a leaked Entertainment Weekly is they were looking at Felicia Day as the main Mad, Baron Vaughn as the voice of Servo, and Hampton Yount as the voice of Crow.

From the 2nd update video I think Crow is a good fit, Servo needs a bit more work but they had a good little Joel/Mike banter going which I thought captured the spirit of the old show pretty well.

Also, who knows if this will be good. This is a pre-order. Gotta expect a deal for a pre-order.

I think I would rather spend 100 bucks on some MST3K dvds.

It just seems like your looking for reasons to be down on it at this point.

Honestly I just dislike kickstarter. Love me some MST3K though.

Huge update today, confirms all the leaks about casting. Some new timed goals with more free classic episode as rewards, and a reveal that there will be a henchman, which far as I can tell casting info for hasn’t leaked yet. Also includes an open invitation to all the old cast at the start for cameos and creative contributions. Update overall is very meaty and goes through Joel’s thought process.

Over the weekend I was honestly about to post that that silhouette of the mad they had up looked a lot like Felicia Day’s hair… Then I thought, “Nah! That could be anybody! I’ll just embarrass myself with a speculation like that.”

Since I’m on a roll, the new silhouette looks like TV’s Frank! That seems unlikely though.

I don’t know if I like Felicia Day.

I DUNNO IF I LIKE YOU.

Exactly.

Just what a Mike fan would say! :)

I was very pleasantly surprised. In just that little update video, she got the tone, energy, and comedy just right. I can’t wait to see more of her.

-Tom

I think Jonah Ray and Felicia Day are about as good as you could ask for.