What do you feed your pets?

One of our cats loses her shit whenever we have ice cream. She practically howls at us until we give her a taste.

I buy big 15lb bags of dry dog foot (with the “moist meaty chunks” or whatever) and then small containers of that luxurious roasted meats stuff they advertise on TV for small dogs… mix the meat in with one cereal bowl full of dry and add a little pure canola oil and mix it all up.

I’ve tried other things but he hadn’t even touched them, so I’m pretty settled on just this one brand of dry food and canola oil mixed in for those days where he doesn’t seem to want to eat the same old thing again.

Our cats get kibble, cat treats, and occasional wet food. Our boy cat insists on sniffing everything we’re cooking, then disdainfully doesn’t eat it.

Costco dry food for the cat and a few times a week deli turkey or debreaded fried chicken from a fast food joint. I dunno why he likes chicken nuggets, but I sure do, so its cool that we can eat them together.

Science Diet. Only major brand not affected by the pet food protein poisoning scare a couple years ago, bringing nitrogen spiked protein from China.

I was cruel to my childhood Chihuahua and forced fed him lemon juice a few times. You know, to prevent scurvy! He never ate his veggies and i was worried about his health…

I made a second giant batch of catfood last night. This batch should last 21 days, and it wasn’t very hard. I’m still cooking the meat for them, waiting for fussy cat to fully accept the new food before I change it again. She will eat some of now, and her brother still loves the food. I did some rough calculations and I think the giant batch I just made works out a good $10 cheaper than the Innova Evo ($$$$) I was feeding them before. I’m sure I can get that cost down further if I buy the supplements in bulk online, instead of getting them from Whole Foods.

My cats get Authority brand adult indoor dry cat food to eat as they please. Every week or three they get to split a can of wet food and they get anti-hairball treats roughly three times a week, sometimes more or less often.

Our cats get Science Diet once a day and moths whenever they can catch them. My wife gets these oatmeal and peanut butter granola bars that set one of our cats off – he’ll follow her all over and just stare at her while she eats it, and then lick/gnaw on her fingers for an hour afterward.

I think you should be banned from posting in any threads about pets at least until someone gets an elephant or a shark or something :).

I WOULD feed my dog whatever cheapo food like Beneful, because he likes it and errr, he’s a dog. He doesn’t care that it’s natural or organic or any other shit. But, since I found out he has epilepsy, I’ve been feeding him this super low carb food in order to cut down on attacks (there is not much real science to back this up except lots of testimonials, and now I’m one of them). He hasn’t had an attack in 8 months or so on the new food.

I usually feed my cat dry wellness indoor cat food in the morning and canned wellness food in the evening. However, he’s had the shits for 3 weeks now and is now getting something a little different.

.5 ml Metronidizole compounded in a “fish” gel since the regular pills make him vomit. Then .3ml Cyproheptadine or something like that, also compounded in a “fish” liquid since he became impossible to give pills to after a week. This cyprowhatever is because the diarrhea medicine makes him not hungry at all. Then a famotidine pill. Now I have some prescription Science Diet food that I mix together with the wellness, spread half a packet of probiotic fortiflora stuff into it, and watch the cat give me a “you expect me to eat this shit?” look after sniffing it. Sometimes I wonder if all the pills and diet change make things worse rather than better. I should have gotten some pictures of the foam beards he would get when trying to spit out the medicine.

We feed out dog Nutro brand kibble, which she really likes. We also supplement with the occasional dog biscuit and table scrap.

My dogs also get Nutro something or other. Usually a green one or the orange one which has a greyhound on the packaging (If the breed of dog you have is on the package it must be the correct food!). We have tried the Kirkland food but cleanup is not so pleasant when they are eating it.

They are also supplemented at least once a week when we visit my wife’s parents for dinner and her mother makes them special plates of whatever food we are eating that night.

My slightly overweight and arthritic Golden gets Hill’s low-fat diet with extra glucosamine. My flat-coat retriever mix is very picky–she just walks away from food she dislikes. The only thing she seems to enjoy is Kibbles and Bits, so that’s what she gets.

Thanks for that book recommendation. It was what I needed to get off my butt and stop feeding my cat dry food. He’s going through the “I don’t really like this, but I’ll eat juuuuust enough to not starve” phase, which means he is being extra annoying around meal times. I’ve done it before (I’m ashamed that I went back to dry food) so I know the transition is just tough, but he’ll get there.

He’s definitely friskier already.

Sounds about right.

Dry food is good for cats. It’s good for their digestion, it’s great for their teeth. If you want to feed your cat wet food, you should mix it up. I’ve never met a vet who said that an all dry food diet was bad, conversely I’ve never met one who’d say an all wet food diet was good. So don’t feel ashamed about going back to dry food. Just make sure it’s a good dry food.

I feed my cat a steady diet of cheetos.

Bahimiron, turns out the “dry food cleans your cat’s teeth” thing is a myth. Just google it.

It depends on which vet you talk to. We were taught in school that it’s healthier for a cat to eat a variety of wet and dry foods.