What do you think of Civilization 5?

lolwut

Guess you really enjoyed infinite city spawl winning every time? Hmm.

I have hit a really nasty save game and load game bug… so I have a very nice $50 DVD case as it is a game killer.

Yes. That’s exactly what he said. You sure nailed it.

It’s a gem, but I can’t stomach that level of micromanagement anymore.

I didn’t vote for any choice, since I’m in the camp of “Its a good game, but will be a great game if the patches fix the major issues that plague the game.”

Is it not possible to reinstall the game, and see if it fixes your issue while the devs work on a solution for it?

It may improve, but I don’t think simple patches will do it. It needs an expansion or two that add missing Civ flavor and mechanics back in. It’s just too dumbed down for my tastes right now, though there are lots of things to like about it. The issues that drive me way from the game are entirely beside the AI and diplomacy problems, which are troubling in their own right.

I guess my write-in option is , “Will check it out again after the first paid expansion, or when Kael and Co mod a better game out of it”. Right now the game bores me like no other Civ ever has.

I was hoping you would :) I would love to be able to “sell off” old policies (probably at some kind of loss to prevent it from being done casually) to by new ones when I need to adopt to unforeseen circumstances. How can they possibly expect you to make immutable decisions early in the game when you haven’t even seen the entire map yet, and don’t know how the chips are going to fall?

I still have this pipe dream that they will realize their mistake and add Civics back in some expansion (the same one that reintroduces religion, espionage, and my spending slider). Social Policies are inferior in every regard to Civics, from mechanics to game flavor.

Heh, I’m amazed that 60% (as of now) voted for the first option. Seeing all the angry rants in the Civ5 thread I had expected at least a third of the votes going to “terrible game”. Vocal minority plus Internet hyperbole strikes again…

Sounds like you want to vote for the second option. The important distinction isn’t really whether you’d call the game “good” or “great” but whether you’d recommend the game right now, or only after some big hypothetical patches. Basically I’d like people to score Civ5 using the thumbs up/sideways/down review system.

Also, I must admit that the description “good game with major issues” which several people have brought up doesn’t really parse for me – how can it be good if it has major issues? I’d say it can only be potentially good in that case, ergo second option.

Absolutely not.
Relgion was great flavour, but it spreading like a viral infection might have warmed my atheist heart, but as a gameplay mechanic it was stupid.
Espionage was just there to be switched off.
And social policies as they stand are great, but could be improved.

Yeah, I agree. It’s a fantastic game, but more than anything I’m excited about the potential. With some (extensive) AI work, and a new diplomacy system this game could be pretty unparalleled. At least as far as I’m concerned.

But has anybody ever patched a whole brain into a game before?

I’ve run into irritating but minor things like the red splotches on tundra and something like graphics artifacts or ghosts rarely when viewing a friend’s territory and then switching back to my empire. There have been a small number of more troubling issues such as first peace treaties never ending and now somewhat commonly being notified every turn that the peace treaty has ended again. Something at the root of that I’d bet is also causing the problem where a friend trades me horses and then it randomly ends a few turns in…and keeps ending resulting in more negative horses than I can recover from and spammy notifications.

But those problems there have accounted for probably 5% of my play time and the rest has been many hours of enjoyment already cooperatively developing empires with friends against an AI that does a reasonable job. Some AI stalls and general lack of skill with moving troops needs to be worked on, but at the very least it’s good to see it threaten you pretty well at times.

Great game with numerous minor issues and a few major ones would be my custom pick. Some retuning needs to be done on improvements, wonders, buildings, etc. but they’re all pretty decent as of release.

I admit, CivV is more than a couple of ‘tweaks’ away from a working AI. But I’m still hoping something will be done, because the state it is in now is pretty abysmal.

Yeah. They could be made into flexible Civics, a superior system in every regard.

I’d trade an ounce of “flavour” for the bulk of the overly streamlined game mechanics in Civ 5. It’s desperately bland, from the loss of recognizable government civics and religion, to the newly nerfed, generic Wonders to the mundane tech tree that has has much of the Civ identity stripped out. I hope the dumbed-down design might appeal to a few more casual players, because they “streamlined” themselves right out of a long time player, at least until Kael and Co. hopefully turn it into something with more character and crunchy strategy appeal.

I actually mildly enjoyed and defended the game my first time through, but I’ve never had the sheen come off a Civ game that quickly. It hemorrhages appeal rapidly.

Agreed with you there. Playing the demo just felt wrong, which is tough, since I’m an easy sell when it comes to Civ. I remember one of my dad’s friends setting me up on his computer with Civ 2 when I was a grade-schooler, and I pretty much lost my mind when I built an AEGIS Cruiser.

I’m interested to see how Firaxis responds. They don’t have a busted game like Elemental, they sold a bunch of copies, and the metacritic looks good. A majority of people seem to like it. Where’s the incentive to fix the thing?

Even if the AI is braindead, I love the combat. Any problems I have are realistically minor, but still doesn’t stop me from recommending people wait a bit before buying, mostly to see the Civ V experience shaped into an awesome game which I am sure it will become. When? If I were a betting man, I would bet, (provided 2K allow it), by the first expansion.

A lot of the complaining about Civ V, is very similar to the complaining SF grognards have about SFIV.

It’s really one of those things where unless you’re of that mindset, you can’t really understand why people are complaining. If you are of that mindset, you have your own opinion on it, and have spent several hours trolling on the subject. ^_^

But even if you suck now, you’ll get better. The AI never will. (unless they fix it in a patch.) And for those of us already pretty good at Civ, the AI is truly sub-optimal.

On the other hand, the eye candy is so candy-rific that I’m forgiving a lot of the AI’s flaws. So what if he just moved a catapult right next to my front line? Did you notice the birds circling above the fish? Holy crap! And the water ripple!

<click> <click>

Well, it doesn’t take a grognard to spot lousy AI.