What does Project Cars 3 have that other racing games don't?

Oh, jeeze, I’d forgotten about that! Thanks for making me relive the trauma…

-Tom

Wait what? The second one forces you to drive go-carts at the start? Ugh. At least with Wreckfest it’s lawnmowers and it’s funny.

Yeah, I never made it past the Go-Karts in Project Cars 2. What a horrible start. To be fair, someone pointed out to me in the Project Cars 2 thread that it was optional, you could skip to the next category if you wanted to. But who wouldn’t pick the first category and start playing?

Karts are not compulsory in PCars 2. I think I started in the Clio Cup, racing tiny Renault tin tops and progressed to full size touring cars from there and then went into Prototype racing.

Amusingly, in the sim community some people were complaining that you had the option to start your career wherever you wanted. They wanted the lowest rung to be a forced choice.

PC2 is still full price because to be honest it’s not a prequel to PC3 in anything but name. Also, both PCars 2 and even PCars 1 still have a larger player base (at least on Steam), than PCars 3.

That’s a damned shame.

Any opinion on how the game may perform at the low end of it’s PC requirements? I’ve got a core i7 6700k with a GTX 1070. It’s got a little breathing room on the non-VR side, but even less for VR

To be fair, the third game is VERY different from those first two.

I get that, I just wish more people were playing 3.

If my computer can run it OK, and still look nice both non VR and in VR - then you may be able to add me to the list.

I love looking at my wishlist on Xbox on Monday nights, because last week’s sales haven’t ended yet, and next week’s sales are already on sale, because it’s Tuesday somewhere in the world.

Anyway there must be a big racing games sale happening this week because Project Cars 3 is on sale for $36. WRC 9 deluxe is $30. Dirt 5 Year One edition is $30. GRID Ultimate Edition is $11. I feel like going on a racing game shopping spree. If only I had all the free time in the world!

Seriously though, if I get Project Cars 3 on Xbox, are the leaderboards cross platform?

Excellent question, and I’ve wondered the same thing. The only leaderboards are in Rivals mode and since I’m assuming Slightly Mad Studios maintains the leaderboards server – hence the lack of Steam friends list functionality? – I’ve wondered if they’re also cross-platform.

-Tom

I just looked up review averages. Out of the games on sale on my wishlist (Project Cars 3, WRC 9, DiRT 5, GRID), Project Cars 3 has the worst review scores. Even slightly worse than GRID.

Don’t let those reviews fool you son. PC3 is fan-fucking-tastic.

I haven’t read any of the reviews, but I’ll bet dollars to donuts the bad reviews didn’t understand how the progression works. I was Googling whether the Rivals mode is cross-play yesterday and one of the questions Google thought I would be interested in is “Why is Project Cars 3 so bad?”

According to the review Google thought was relevant, from SimRacingSetUp.Com, the career mode is boring and the graphics are terrible. I’m guessing they gave it a 7 on the 7-9 scale.

-Tom

I started the career and tried the daily and weekly Rivals challenge. From a game play perspective it seems pretty good. I prefer a sim-arcade experience moreso than a hardcore sim. I don’t like fiddling with setups. I just want to drive, get new cars from time to time, chase some leaderboard times, etc…

I’ve had some technical issues, mostly minor. My A button on the wheel works for almost every selection, except to continue after a race. It works to replay a race, it works to continue other places. I need to press enter on the keyboard. Also I was chasing @tomchick time on the weekly challenge with the rain. I finally beat you, the time is listed as my best time, but I can’t find myself on the leaderboard anymore. I was on the leaderboard when my time was worse.

It also looks like there is no way to filter the leader boards by friend times, that is kind of annoying. Am I missing something? I also wish there was some type of leaderboard time penalty for using assists. I’m not using any, but it looks like almost everyone else is, at least on the lower end of the leaderboard.

My VR performance is OK, but definitely not great. I’m going to take the game for a non-VR spin.

We’re already being penalized enough for being at the bottom of the leaderboard WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT OF US SHITTY DRIVERS?

I’M SHITTY TOO SO YOU’RE GOING TO MAKE ME CRY

Sure you did, Rob Carbon Dioxide Doubled. Sure you did. :) Your logged time will be displayed in the upper right corner of the main screen for the event. And it should default the leaderboard to your page on the relevant ranking. You might have to scroll the page down, but you should be there.

When I ran my best time on Bathurst, I was a bit concerned that there were no ghost cars. But relieved since I find them distracting. Sure enough, the time wasn’t logged. Gah. That’s the only connectivity issue I’ve had driving about 20 rivals events.

-Tom

I scrolled through the leaderboard and I’m not longer on it anywhere for the weekly. Even my old time is gone. My time on the daily is there, just a couple positions ahead of yours. I don’t like that car. Wayyyy to fast.

I tried playing non VR, and after racing in VR I don’t think I can go back. VR is way too cool. Just like my leaderboard time was way too cool and should have been sitting on the silver board :-) My time was 1:05:25

I don’t like the ghost cars either. They weren’t there in VR but were in non VR. I hope they stay away. Usually I like ghost cars, but I find they just distract me here.

Which might be related to your fictional time not logging. :)

-Tom