What have you played in the weekend?

Played through the last episode of Tell Me Why over the weekend. If you’re familiar with Dontnod’s other work, this will feel very familiar. The sibling relationship and small town America feel really authentic. The supernatural stuff is pretty underplayed too. Worth a look.

Also jumped back into Super Lucky’s Tale since apparently it’s DLC is now free. I’m rusty on my platforming but it’s still pretty fun.

I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker mostly, with a little bit of Star Renegades and No Man’s Sky on the side.

Also played with a Phoenix Liveview prototype for a work project. Fun times.

What I stopped playing this weekend was Unending Galaxy. Was giving the Humble Trader set up a go and was doing quite well, then four factions that I had friendly relations with all declared war on me at once 'due to rising tensions" with no warning of said tensions, then they started destroying my factories and killing my ships. Oddly I got a message regarding the tutorial so maybe this is a bug, but regardless no fun.

So instead we hiked in the woods and then picked 45 pounds of apples Sunday so I’ll be playing apple sauce maker and canner.

I have been playing Phoenix Point (considerably more fleshed out now…the initial release almost seems like early access), CK3, Deity Empires, and Shadow Empire, all when I have a chance. I think they are all really good games. I think the one I am most inclined to play at this moment is Phoenix Point.

I am taking a break from MSFS2020 until I get my new desktop in early October.

Sounds like high recommendation for Phoenix Point, which I also bounced off initially.

I’m currently playing it, as well, having waited for the release of the 2nd DLC. Word is, the next update will address the UI, which needs some TLC. It’s not horrible, just annoying (and head-scratching), like having a tiny pebble in one’s shoe.

Rayman Origins (Xbox One)

I picked up a 360 digital copy of this game years and years ago. I don’t remember exactly when, but I do remember starting the game up, seeing the intro, getting pissed off about the blatant drug use in what I initially assumed would be a fun wholesome game, and angrily uninstalling and hiding the game from my collection so I’d never have to see its stupid fucking face again.

Well, I’d still be perfectly happy to leave it in my junk bin, to rot forever, but @Rock8man decided to go and start praising the game like it was actually something special. Not wanting to miss out on something purported to be this good I decided to give the game a second chance (thanks, Xbox BC). But I swear to fucking god if that stupid black-eyed opium-addicted fucking monster is going to show up in more than 1% of this game, I’m out. I have zero patience for games that try to pass shit like this off as fun and cute.

header
Crusader Kings 3 (Steam)

I’m currently running a southern Tibet campaign. Almost everybody is gay and I don’t know why. I didn’t screw with any settings (other than playing on Iron Man), but my ruler is gay. His heir is gay. The neighbors are gay. My council is gay. My champions are gay. This is making the marriage and seduction game much more complicated than my previous runs.

My initial gay ruler finally kicked the bucket, so now his gay son and asexual daughter-in-law are running the show, and they’re having issues on the baby front. I’m not giving up though. There will be a happy ruling family dynasty, dammit. And I will take over asia.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)

The game plays at a low resolution and only half the frame rate of it’s most recent versions on PC and Playstation, so that sucks, but it was only $15. But assuming I can overcome the pixel jaggies I’m told there’s a great game under here somewhere. I will find it and report back.

I’ve only got a couple hours in the game so far, so I think I’m almost 25% of the way through the tutorial.

Had time for some Horizon Zero Dawn and Deep Rock Galactic.

Wasteland 3. Wasteland 3. Wasteland 3.

Brogue and a bit of Morrowind.

Started on Phoenix Point. Enjoying it so far - but I’m only a few hours in.

Crusader Kings 3 for just the second time. I worked through the tutorial for the second time. I spent way too long trying to figure out that to send a marriage proposal for my king I had to left click on the character description rather than right click to perform an action. Way too long.

In simpler interfaces, I played some Epic Quest on Pinball FX3 as I tried to max out all the skills there for an achievement. That was after some other tables earlier this weekend.

A little Bad North where I popped an unexpected achievement (win at night).

I started up Mad Max again this week. I had barely started it long ago. I actually was really enjoying it until it outpaced my always-crappy action game skills.

Children of Morta is my favorite game of 2020. It would be in the running for my game of the year if it hadn’t been released last year. I downloaded it from Game Pass on a whim, and it was a great decision.

I played a bunch of Gears Tactics to finish the campaign. Liked the battles quite a bit, maybe even more than XCOM. The flexibility in moving and actions is much better. Also chaining skills to get more actions was super satisfying.

Next up on Game Pass, Wastelands 3.

Railway Empires, I beat the final 2 campaign scenarios this weekend. A decent game I enjoyed time with, that ultimately I think is one I am not terribly likely to revisit. Simply because RRT3 exists.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock I also beat the main campaign this week. Highly recommended, nailed the tone, sound, and tactics. If you like tactical 3D space battles and BSG this is a must play. In the end I was really rolling. There is, admittedly, some really strong basic play and tactics, but the game setup for each mission does enough to force you to compensate sometimes. Ionized nebulas especially will wreck formations and plans, as they neuter squads and missiles.

Outside not a game, but it finally rained, and knocked all the smoke particles out of the air. I can go outside again!

This weekend was odd. First, we got 36 C (97 F for you metric-deprived folk) temperatures (hottest day of the year, in fact) when it’s technically still Winter. Summer is going to be fun this year.

Anyway, it was too hot, and when that happens I avoid playing games that make my GPU go hot. So no Horizon: Zero Dawn for me, which would be my choice otherwise. I tried Age of Wonders: Planetfall, and it was behaving well enough for some time, but then it shot my GPU to 78 C and I stopped playing. Bummer.

Played a bit of Rimworld. And then decided to try Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War and not only it runs great without stressing my GPU, but it clicked. I had a fantastic time playing the game and I can’t wait to play more.

Gaming time was limited, however. Had to help my kid with homework - still do, in fact, so my gaming time will probably be quite limited for the next couple days. And I got the first Dune trilogy to read, so I used some of my free time in the weekend to read a bit of the first book. Those Harkonnen are up to no good, I tell you!

A little blast from the past: PlanetSide 2!

As back in the day, I’m really awful at close-range fights, but decent at sniper action and good at anti-air play, so on balance, it’s about 60% fun and 40% drudgery. Probably the worst change from original-flavor PlanetSide and PS2 was the option to buy camouflage patterns which break up the distinctive colors and outlines of the various factions. In the interests of joining what you can’t beat, I ponied up out of the inexplicably large stash of in-game currency I don’t remember buying, so I guess I’d best get my past money’s worth over the next week or two.

For Space Game Junkie, videos of Interstellar Rift and maybe of of Ostranauts if I have the time and energy. For myself, more Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander practice in demo mode, which is really helping me a better commander in my actual career. SO FUN. Also more Soldat 2 and, shockingly, some No Man’s Sky as well, most likely. Gonna be a great weekend!

I definitely have the No Man’s Sky itch since the new patch. And I will be checking out the recent changes to Craftopia. Still trying to play through Witcher 1 also. And possibly a little bit of Path of Exile and/or Wasteland 3. Not enough time!!

Wasteland 3 is my new just one more hour game.