What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

It is!

Also, contra Tom I like this thread because although I don’t watch a lot of horror I find your guys’ descriptions of the absolutely metric ton of shitty horror movies you shovel into your eyeballs frequently way more entertaining than watching any garbage horror movie ever could be.

Mission accomplished!

Thinking about it. Catch-all threads really are kind of bad aren’t they?

There could be lots of interesting conversations buried deep inside, which are incredibly muddled between everything else, that could be in their own thread.

There could be. There almost never are. Vanishingly rarely are they conversations that would happen between people who’ve actually read or watched or played the thing being discussed, as would actually befit a dedicated thread.

I think these catch-all theads are a handy gateway to those other specific threads. I don’t generally go poking around in threads that I don’t have any context for, so if we have something like this where I can go, ‘hey can anyone tell me about a good horror movie about a talking dog that thinks the government is chasing him?’ and then one of you guys can say 'oh yeah, check out this thread over here ’ then that’s win/win I think. Of course some movies/games/books/whatever really are too specific to carry a thread on their own, and in that case it can live here where at least a search would turn it up.

I use these threads the same way. The catch-all horror thread is great for when I’m in the mood to watch a horror movie but don’t know what to watch. I’ll pop in here, see what people have watched/recommend and then watch the movie or check out the movie specific thread if I want deeper discussion about it.

This is why I like the catch all, overall. I’m an ‘I’m in the mood for…’ watcher, and having a few different threads for Thriller, Action/Adventure, and so on would help me discover more things. As conversations grow, they metastasize into their own threads, or people go, ‘don’t talk about that here, do it in the dedicated thread’ and we all shake our heads at thread nazis and grudgingly go there and it’s fine.

I just watched Malignant, and it was bonkers and pretty bad, but I’ll say more in that thread.

Train to Busan, Midsommar and especially The Babadook, which is one of my all time favourite horror movies, seconded. Colour Out Of Space and Us are definitely worth watching, though I didn’t like them as much as some.

And it has the lovely Essie Davis.

Have you seen The Wolf of Snow Hollow yet, @divedivedive ?

I don’t believe I have, doesn’t sound familiar anyway.

I come to this thread occasionally, and it has thankfully shown me new movies I might have otherwise not noticed. That’s great. Thanks! My reason for posting is that other movie genres seem to be not allowed, and I find that odd. I do not participate in online debate. This is just my opinion. I hope this strange restriction is removed, but I’m nobody and don’t expect anything.

It’s a rare beast: a werewolf movie that isn’t dumb! It’s even the seventh best movie of 2020!

And here’s its appearance in the 20:20 frame game.

There are a bunch of other catch-all threads, which is one of the many reasons the whole structure is dumb. One is only for theatrical releases (that aged well…), one is only for stuff on Netflix, one is only for Amazon, and someone yesterday tried to start a separate catch-all thread for each genre. Strange restrictions, indeed.

If you guys want recommendations, it seems like such a weird roll of the dice to use these threads. I mean, you could just scroll down the list of movies being discussed in this very subforum. Alternatively, read reviews from reviewers you trust. Or just follow people on Twitter. But I find “I just watched X and I thought it was good FULL STOP” is a pretty lame rationale to watch a movie. Heck, if that’s what you’re looking for, just filter movies on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic by user ratings. Or let any given streaming service’s algorithm’s take you where it will.

But, anyway, yeah, this thread is just for horror movies. That aren’t on Netflix or on Amazon or in theaters, because there are other threads for that. Oh, wait, maybe we’re not supposed to post horror movies in those threads? Who can say?

-Tom

Ok I feel much better now, thanks. ???

Not sure if serious, but feel free to ignore me. I’m the resident catch-all thread grump! :)

-Tom

I’m cool if you are. You are the best as far as I’m concerned, grump or not. :)

It all makes sense to me. There are so many horror movies. I’ve never heard of probably 60+% of the ones out there. It’s a very polarizing genre with very little love from the average movie critic, so critical reviews and discussion are little help. And I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think it’s fair to say that I’m a lot more willing to watch random horror movies in case I strike gold than I am other genres. So, this thread alerts me to ones that might be interesting, and I share about stuff y’all might not have heard of. Because unlike the big theatrical releases, there’s a good chance that a) you haven’t heard about them and wouldn’t run into them randomly on whatever streaming service and b) they’re probably something you can just watch, unlike a lot of film festival circuit gems and the like.

And no, I don’t tend to discuss them in the service specific threads, because I think only a self-selecting crew cares much about horror stuff.

I guess I need to reiterate, I DO NOT debate online stuff. I’m really, really, really done here.

I guess we’ve got a fundamental difference in how we use these threads. If I want to watch a horror movie, I find it useful to have a thread that just talks about horror movies. I realize there are a bunch of movie-specific threads around here and I find them valuable too, but not so much when I’m seeking info.

For example, you’ve got a thread in this forum called “Kate - Netflix movie” and I’ll probably never click on it because I have no idea what it is. That’s not a criticism, there’s only so much real info you can cram into a subject line, but I kind of need some context or some reason to go looking inside threads. Maybe that’s not how most people roll.

What do you mean “seeking info”? And how would these catch-all threads be useful for providing info? I mean, the internet has tons of places to get general info on movies. IMDB, JustWatch, the aggregates, industry publications like Variety or The Hollywood Reporter, your favorite publication’s reviews section, or any given platform’s actual site. Aren’t those much better sources of info than someone saying “I just watched X”?

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m not clear what kind of info you’re getting from these threads other than “this poster just announced that he watched a certain movie”.

Seems to me there are a couple of separate issues with that thread. The original poster did a terrible job making the thread. No great loss considering it’s a entirely forgettable movie. But, yeah, that’s an example of someone who doesn’t know how to use a discussion forum. I also think that’s very much the exception to the rule. Most folks here are pretty adept at putting helpful subjects on the threads they create.

it didn’t help that Kate is one of those movies that just uses someone’s name, which is almost never a good idea. Christine, Nancy, Mike, Kate, Beckett, James White, and Locke are all movie titles. Which ones are comedies and which ones are horror movies? Okay, pencils down. How’d you do?

But, yes, thread titles should be helpful in terms of telling you what’s in them. I’m with you 110% on that front!

And again, I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m berating anyone. Nothing I’m saying here is as a moderator. I’m just talking about my own personal preferences as someone who really loves talking about movies.

-Tom

I decided to try and watch at least one horror film every day this month. Here’s my list:

Date Title
10/01/21 A Nightmare on Elm Street
10/02/21 The Shining
10/03/21 The Blob (1988)
10/04/21 American Werewolf in London
10/05/21 The Fly (1958)
10/06/21 Tremors
10/07/21 Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness
10/08/21 The Exorcist
10/09/21 Jeepers Creepers
10/10/21 Poltergeist
10/11/21 Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein
10/12/21 The Silence of the Lambs
10/13/21 It
10/14/21 Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th VI
10/15/21 Night of the Living Dead
10/16/21 The Fly (1986)
10/17/21 Psycho
10/18/21 Let Me In
10/19/21 Dawn of the Dead
10/20/21 Shawn of the Dead
10/21/21 Color Out of Space
10/22/21 The Mummy (1932), The Mummy (1999)
10/23/21 Hereditary
10/24/21 The Cabin in the Woods
10/25/21 Alien
10/26/21 Dracula (1931)
10/27/21 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
10/28/21 The Witch
10/29/21 The Thing (1982)
10/30/21 Treehouse of Horror Marathon
10/31/21 Halloween, Halloween 2

There’s no rhyme or reason necessarily to the selections or the order other than that they’re all movies I enjoy in some way, and have on Blu-ray.