What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

Sure, but Qt3 is one of many places I look for info, and it’s actually one of the only discussion boards that I utilize anymore. So it’s got that level of interactivity that lots of other places lack. IMDb has forums, sure, but I don’t really know any of those jokers.

This isn’t intended as an argument but more to explain how these kind of threads can have value. I think it’s kind of fun when someone pops up and says, “oh wow man, I just watched the freakiest thing last night” even though 9 times out of 10 I’ll probably never watch it myself.

I actually would rather look at this thread for horror movies then go to most of those general places. I now have a really good sense of what various posters like and dislike. Even better, when people are strongly 50/50 on a movie then I definitely want to watch it, either to enjoy how terrible it is or fall into the hidden gem camp.

This thread is great for the way I browse QT3. Feel free to use this as an index to threads that more deeply discuss a certain movie. I generally don’t look at specific threads because I want to avoid most spoilers until after I’ve watched the movie. Then it’s great for further discussion, but I like someone randomly posting “Movie A? It’s kinda crazy and a little stupid but it might be the kind of stupid you love.” [I’m looking at you Malignant.] I assume specific threads are exactly for spoilers and deeper discussion.

I actually use the unread thread count to guess if a movie MIGHT be good - high traffic threads are either 50/50 split movies or tons of people who love the movie. Stinker movies generate dead threads, and from reading the brief reviews summaries here, the sad news is that most horror movies are stinkers.

This is why a thread like this is better than just hitting up random aggregations of internet users. It’s a community with recognizable posters with specific tastes. Which latter could certainly be said of critics as well, but see above re: most professional critics just blanket disliking horror movies in my experience. Tom is like, the one exception I’ve personally run into. Or to put it another way: what’s more likely to catch your interest, someone you know telling you about a movie - whether or not they liked it! - or it appearing on a generic list of movies on some database?

That’s actually a great point. But I’m so spoiler averse, I actively avoid these threads because nearly everyone else I know here has a much lower thresholds for spoilers.

-Tom

Honestly, you folk are discerning enough (and willing to watch–and write about!–a lot of apparently bad horror) for me to trust when one or two (or more!) of you are positive about something. That leads me to:

Same here. My issue in these threads is when the lede (Was it any good?) is buried in a full movie breakdown. I just want to know whether it’s any good/worth watching first because, if it is, I don’t want to know anything else until I’ve seen it. Often something like ‘trigger on Qt3 said Leaving DC is great’ is all I need to put it on the list then come back later once I’ve watched it. I often use the search function to find the corners of the forum where certain things are discussed, unless it’s something with an awful name that isn’t easy to find…

This is not true. See Possum!

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/possum-new-horror-from-matt-holness

Admittedly, I didn’t search for/create a dedicated thread when I first saw it and weighed in here instead. Much later I realised there was a dedicated thread, but by that point the movie wasn’t fresh in my mind so it was much harder to discuss in detail.

You know, I’ve seen some horror movies recently, so I should really post about that.

Malignant - see my post in that thread. It’s bad. I really enjoyed it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - my girlfriend hadn’t seen it and it’s on HBO Max, so we fixed that. It was not as intensely scary for me as it was originally, but it holds up really well. Great dream aesthetics, memorable choices about staging and the direction of the plot. This time around I could appreciate all the little details, too. And I’ve long remembered it as having a Freddy who’s just pure, nearly silent menace, as opposed to the wisecracking killer of…basically the entire rest of the series. Turns out that’s not really accurate. Freddy of the first movie doesn’t exactly crack a lot of jokes, but he’s clearly having a good time freaking out his victims, and cackling when, e.g. one of them pulls his face off inadvertently, a scene I did not remember. He also has more lines than I remembered. They’re not jokes, but…yeah. You can actually see the seeds of that in this one. I’d also forgotten the sequence towards the end where Nancy pulls him out of her dream and it’s practically Home Alone for a few minutes as he stumbles into traps she’s set up. I did remember the closing realization that she hadn’t actually stopped him, but I didn’t realize that that whole final scene demonstrates its unreality by leaning directly into wish fulfillment out of the gate. Brilliant, honestly..

A Nightmare on Elm Street - So, the 2010 remake was also on HBO Max and I remembered someone(s) telling me it wasn’t actually that bad. Reader, they were either wrong or lying to me pretty hard. It’s bad. I will give them this much credit: it’s not a straight remake. The premise is more or less the same, but they don’t try to shot for shot it (with one iconic shot an exception Freddy’s glove reaching up out of the bath…totally squandered by immediately pivoting away from the original imagery here) and while a few beats echo the original huge swathes of the movie are very different. Unfortunately, virtually none of it works. My central complaint is they just don’t manage to ever capture the dreamy surreality of the horror in the original. Sure, characters have nightmares, but they don’t feel like nightmares, they feel like horror movie cliches. Characters have to stay awake (in one other touch I liked, one of the characters does some research on extended periods without sleeping and I think the results come from actual sleep science), but they don’t feel desperately tired to me. In the original, Nancy has to go to great lengths to wake up out of her nightmares or have an external force wake her. The remake, most nightmares end in a jump scare and the character doing the movie “sit up screaming”. In general, if there’s a boring, conventional, uninspired horror movie choice to make, this movie makes it. Also: the movie goes significantly more into Freddy’s backstory in ways that don’t really benefit the movie (apparently drawing on intended backstory for the original but I think it’s just as well it didn’t make it in there and makes Freddy much grosser in a sexual way that…that is certainly a form of horror but is unpleasant and not used in a worthwhile way here.

Candyman - Because my girlfriend hadn’t seen it. Like Nightmare on Elm Street, still very much holds up. I was struck by new things here as well - how long the movie takes before it really leans into the supernatural side of things or even gets to Cabrini Green, so infamously the primary staging ground of its horrors. The incredibly grotty aesthetics. I remembered Tony Todd’s seductive aura as the titular killer, but on a second pass I’m realizing that the way he keeps setting her up to be viewed as a monster and eroding her supports isn’t just isolating her in a predatory way, as I originally took it, but setting up her own legend to carry her into eternity with him. Just such interesting choices, when it could be a conventional “mirror monster” urban legend affair like countless low budget Bloody Mary flicks.

Candyman - it was also prep for seeing the new Candyman directed by Nia DaCosta, the sequel. Unlike the Nightmare remake, this is pretty good. Unfortunately, it’s also disappointing. I had high hopes given some of the pre-release material, the fact that it’s a sequel and not a reboot/remake, and Jordan Peele was involved. The idea that it was going to really lean into the blackness of the original movie and have things to say on that front was also promising. And…as I say, i don’t think it’s bad. There’s a bunch of lovely cinematography, including tracking shots along Chicago streets looking up, which is such a new angle to me, and a zoom back away from an apartment building during one of the kills. I like the cast, by and large. There are several interesting ideas played with, like the way the main character incorporates the legend into his art, or the idea that it’s a recurring archetype that perpetuates into the future. The problem, I think, is that it just doesn’t have any focus. It feels like there were, I dunno, five different drafts of the script that have been frankensteined into a single movie that never commits to any of it. You could do a movie where the kid she saves in the original is infected by Candyman’s myth and grows into him over time, or one where a crazy person is trying to use him to reinstantiate Candyman for our times, or one where it’s a generational archetype our hero is being drawn into, or one about an artist trying to break out by incorporating this potent myth into his work to tragic consequence, or… or… but no. It does all of that, and ends up feeling overstuffed and incoherent. And…you definitely can tell the creators had things to say about blackness and the way horror as a genre has exploited black bodies, and so on. I’m not black. It’s not my experience. I’m probably the wrong person to tell you they don’t really pull it off. But certainly it did not work on that level for me.

The Bridge Curse - I watched all of the above with my girlfriend. This one, well. I had some downtime and just wanted something disposable I could stream without worrying about whether it was likely to be worth showing her. And in my experience, foreign - especially Asian - horror tends to be a bit better on average than no-name American horror, so, Taiwanese ghost movie it was. It’s…fine? Basic idea is there’s a bridge on a university campus where a female student supposedly drowned herself, and now if you go up the stairs on the other end at midnight, there will be a 14th step where there’s normally 13, and if you turn around, the ghost will be right behind you. So, kids haze their friends by making them go up the stairs at midnight. It leads off with a livestreamed video of some kids doing just that, and then cuts to a framing story where a reporter is investigating the deaths of those kids. Go figure, most of the rest of the movie is the ghost killing said kids in spooky lonely parts of the campus while they shriek and run around and freak out, etc, with occasional cutaways to the reporter poking at stuff. Nothing you haven’t seen before, mostly. Exceeeept, one tiny detail - turns out the flashbacks to the past stuff? It’s actually two different sets of kids, one in 2012, one in 2016, framed in such a way that I never actually noticed that the two sets didn’t interact. Why does that matter? Because there’s one kid who was there both times. And oh…huh. There’s a link to the 2020 frame, too…. Does that make the movie worth watching just for that? Eh, probably not. But it did perk the movie up for me.

We have a Candyman thread. You’ve even posted in it.

-Tom

No you’re not.

I just finished watching this. Pretty much agree with what you wrote (the creepy dream sequences nearly make this worthwhile), but I think you undersold how dumb the ending is. Super, duper dumb. Also I totally thought that guy was Daniel Radcilffe for the entire movie, but… he isn’t!

Apparently this was directed by the guy who did the “Father’s Day” segment of Holidays, which I think is the good one? That Tom liked? He has apparently made one other movie, Our House, which he didn’t write, so maybe I’ll check that out.

I don’t think it’s even dumb, per se. It’s just wrong for the movie.

I mean, sorry for the spoilers, but the ending is literally “it was all a dream”. Or maybe just the third act? It isn’t clear, but it doesn’t matter. Oh, and also, now in the dream she’s a vampire because reasons.

Great goddam post! Awesome writeups.

I just watched “The Final Girls” last week and it’s awful.

It’s about a group of teens trapped in a slasher movie. The comedy parts did not work, the movie breaks it’s own internal logic all the time.

The casting was also off. The characters were supposed to be the same age but some of them like the lead; Taissa Farmiga felt like they were quite a bit younger.

Stuff I watched on my own:
Butterfly Kisses - I think I was intrigued by a post earlier in the thread. It’s a movie purporting to be a documentary about a guy who found some footage (so he says) and is restoring it into a movie. The horror premise of a monster that gets closer whenever you blink isn’t terrible (although the idea that he has to be summoned by watching unblinking for an hour is dumb) but is a relatively small part of the movie and not really exploited to maximum effect. I was bemused by the framing structure about the would-be filmmaker and the constant claiming that it was real found footage to utter skepticism. They even rope in like 10 or 15 real public figures including the guy that writes those “Weird (locale)” books and the director of The Blair Witch Project to play themselves as part of the documentary. It’s just kind of a weird thing to wrap around your clearly fake “found footage” horror movie. Especially when you then, e.g., point out at length how nobody could actually go without blinking for an hour. It’s not terrible, but…I dunno. Kind of misguided, I think?

Evil Dead - the 2013 remake of The Evil Dead. Surprisingly good. It leans way more into the horror aspect of the first movie than the camp of the later series, which I appreciate, although its form of horror is not really what I’m into personally. Namely, it’s really violent. I don’t think a single character escapes without at least four or five horrifying and visceral injuries, there’s blood and dismemberment all over the place. Very…splattery. If that’s your jam, I think you’ll love this movie. Me…I was squicked, tbh. I also am not sure the move away from the Deadites to a more conventional demonic presence was the right call. Although I do appreciate they called out an apocalyptic summoning w/ rain of blood and then went there. They also had a golden opportunity to not bring back the original’s tree rape scene and leaned into it instead. And I have some nitpicks - e.g., nailguns don’t work like that, that is a dumb way to try and kick hard drugs, pretty sure you’d have a real hard time ripping your own hand off even under those circumstances… But yeah. As remakes go, it’s got its own identity but pays appropriate homage in a bunch of ways too, I had no real complaints about acting (not that any of them are budding young Bruce Campbells but oh well) or, y’know, for a horror movie, script, and it is plenty horrific. Cautious recommend.

Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey) - just had this kicking around on my hard drive for some reason. Have had for a decade. No idea why I was interested in it to begin with. It’s a Norwegian movie about five 20-something friends (two romantic pairs and a fifth guy going stag, although thankfully he doesn’t whine about it) going for a fun course of snowboarding down a mountainside, far from the usual skiing/snowboarding spots. Trouble is, our solo operator manages to land wrong and break his ankle. They’re hours from the car and hours from the nearest village, and he needs to get into shelter shortly. Luckily, they spot an enormous, apparently abandoned inn and break in, get a fire going, and eventually manage to get the generator going. Tomorrow, one of them will go get help. It’ll be fine. …yeah, of course it isn’t. it’s a horror movie. That abandoned inn isn’t so abandoned, and while I was pulling for it to be a supernatural horror…nope, there’s a slasher living in the basement. Still, not a bad execution of the formula. I liked the characters, the inn’s a pretty solid backdrop for this sort of thing, and it’s smarter than most slasher flicks.

Things I watched with my girlfriend:
Homunculus - not really a horror movie but I thought it was going in, and it’s from Takashi Shimizu, and has some spooky imagery in it. An unethical medical student finds a mysterious amnesiac homeless man who can somehow also afford to eat at a fancy highrise restaurant and gets him to agree to have a hole drilled in his skull. This provokes an ability to see “homunculi” in the homeless man’s left eye - the deepest trauma of that person, manifested as a nightmarish phantasmagorical representation on or around their body. Which could be kind of a horror premise, for sure. But it turns out he mostly uses this ability to help people with their traumas, and also reveal the past he’s forgotten. It’s really quite moving and human and aside from the repeated drilling into people’s skulls and the homunculi, not horrific. But I would recommend it.
Ouija: Origin of Evil - I hear the original Ouija is stupid as hell and have no plans to watch it, but they brought Mike Flanagan in for the prequel and at this point I’ll give his stuff a punt pretty regardless. And…not bad! I continue to find Ouija itself stupid and it’s tough to construct any real horror around the game, but to his credit Flanagan mostly doesn’t try. It’s a presence, as I’m sure it was mandated to be, but mostly it’s just the lens through which the youngest daughter of a professional (fake) medium discovers her real ability to communicate with the spirits living in their home…who are, sadly, murder victims deranged by the horrors perpetrated on them and interested in adding to their ranks. Flanagan’s usual gift for sympathetic, real-feeling characters shines through (and three Flanagan regulars star in the movie), and there’s some novel creeps, like a scene where the possessed daughter asks her sister’s would-be boyfriend if he wants to hear something cool and then proceeds to describe what it feels like to be strangled to death while smiling innocently all the while. There’s also some more rote haunting type fare, but, ah well.

Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark - I recalled being curious about the remake with Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce but the consensus was this original was better and creepier. It’s…okay? It was made as a TV movie with the sort of budget and content restrictions TV movies had back in the 70s and it shows, but I do like the way that the main character, once she realizes her situation fully, takes some reasonable steps to try and deal with it, and her friend and husband do try to help, even if it’s not necessarily in the right ways, and yet…well. Those little creatures are very determined. And it’s just kind of an interesting time capsule as well.

Schlaf (Sleep) - a recent German movie. A young woman’s mother has struggled with nightmares as long as she can recall and has a terribly disrupted sleep cycle thanks to her work as a stewardess And then the mother finds a brochure that shows the hotel that’s been figuring prominently in her nightmares, and goes there to figure out what significance it has. There’s an incident, and she ends up in the local hospital, in a “stupor”, unresponsive. The woman takes a room at the hotel to stay near her mother and begins to investigate herself as the hotel owner solicitously shows her around and assists with her inquiries. This is all punctuated by strange, surreal dream imagery and transitions that make the lines between the waking world and her dreams unclear. And then there’s a dinner with the hotel owner and his wife, and…uh. Things change abruptly. To the point where I said to my girlfriend, “Wait, what the hell is happening?” and she could not help me. It does gradually become clearer (if still very laced with dream imagery and loose around the edges) but boy, that scene wrongfooted me. We both really liked Schlaf. It’s dreamy and strange but beautiful and tells a good story, if elliptically.

Every single one of those could have been the start of a fun thread where people might find it and participate in a discussion after watching the movie. Two of them even have threads already (here and here). Instead, your comments are just going to scroll upscreen and be ignored after a few posts. Which is certainly your prerogative, but I’d hope your time and energy is worth more to you than that.

-Tom

Sure. Maybe. Or, based on my experience, would sit there and be ignored because nobody else has seen them (and mostly there’s not much to discuss), whereas here maybe someone else will decide they’re worth checking out. And those existing threads are for your (lovely) podcast, neither episode of which I’ve listened to, so I have nothing to contribute at the moment. That might change, at which time I will be sure and post in them if I have comments to make.

I think passing on recommendations (or the opposite) uses less time, and is less wasteful, than cluttering up the forum with threads no one will read. And if you feel like there’s things to be said about them that aren’t bitching about which thread I use, I invite you to make those threads and say those things.

A couple others I forgot because we’ve watched so many movies lately:
Tumbbad - an Indian demon movie that’s kind of a fable/morality play more than outright horror. A greedy man pursues and ultimately finds the secret to marvelous hidden riches in the decaying mansion that once belonged to his father, but it’s not a simple pile of treasure (this is where the demon comes in) and ultimately after many years he gets too greedy and is undone. Gorgeous, mythologically interesting. Not super spooky really.

Triangle - I’ve talked this one up several places on the forum over the years so I don’t really need to get too much into it. It was probably the most interesting movie I’ve stumbled randomly onto on Netflix over the years (not on Netflix anymore, sadly) and I wanted to show it to my girlfriend. There’s a few hints and cues about what’s going on that make the core concept more explicit that I did not get on my first watch, but I don’t really want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn’t seen it. It’s good. Watch it.

Watched tonight:
The Medium - hey look Tom, I made a thread: The Medium (Shudder)

What, I now have to go to another thread to get a quick synopsis about The Medium? Lame!

I started watching it and just turned it off. Didn’t like it at all.