What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

Well, okay. I think this movie might be interesting enough that people might have something to say beyond “I’ve seen it”, and it’s on a service a bunch of us have or can easily get, so, maybe someone besides me has or will see it. So I’ll throw Tom a bone this once.

The Medium (apparently from people behind excellent Thai ghost movie Shutter and very-weird-not-really-sure-how-I-feel-about-it Korean…demon? movie The Wailing) is a Thai movie about possession. But, as the first character we’re introduced to, a shaman named Nim, points out, in her cultural tradition, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Spirits are all around, and shamans are people possessed by particular spirits that use their host to help the community that worships them. Why is she telling us this? Because the movie is, theoretically, a documentary about local shamanistic practices and her life as a shaman. We get some basics about how she operates, she talks about how she became a shaman (and how the spirit originally chose her sister, who refused), and then we go with her to a funeral for her sister’s husband, whose family, we are informed, has been cursed and this led to the deaths of all the male members of that family. At the funeral (which is Christian - it turns out the way the sister refused the role of shaman was to convert), we also meet the sister’s daughter Mink, and their brother. Mink is a lovely young woman who works at a job center helping people find employment. She’s also starting to show erratic behavior, including telltale signs of possession that happened to both Nim and her sister when the spirit was first trying to take hold, and so the film crew concludes that Mink may be the next shaman candidate and begin filming her and her family as well. Mink does not want to be a shaman, but things eventually become bad enough that she and her mother implore Nim to do the ceremony to confirm her, which will end these effects. Only, Nim won’t. She’s not sure who is possessing Mink, but it’s not her spirit. Mink has not been tapped as a shaman after all. Desperate, Mink’s mother takes her to a charlatan…and this is the inflection point where the horror elements really start to rear their head.

Suffice it to say the situation gets much, much worse from there. I really respected the movie’s commitment, honestly. Punches may seem like they’re getting pulled, and then…they aren’t. Things get rough. Most notably a scene I wish I had not experienced wherein (cw animal violence) the family dog gets cooked alive. Also a movie that is likely to be rough for parents and others for whom danger to small children is a problem. The documentary conceit gets a little strained towards the very end (not uncommon for this sort of movie) but I’ll forgive it. It’s a slow burn, but it pays off.

I’m not sure how much of what it presents about the regional shamanic practices is true to life, but it certainly seems authentic and is very interesting - particularly as a change of pace from your typical Catholic possession movies. Also very curious what led to the Thai/Korean partnership when there seems to be no Korean element to the movie itself.

Don’t bother. If you don’t care, I promise I won’t either.

-Tom

…okay, sure.

I posted it as a separate thread because I thought it might actually provoke some discussion, unlike most of the things I post about in this thread. Which is supposedly what you want out of those threads. But if that’s your response to me doing that, I think you’ve officially lost any right to complain about this or other catchall threads.

Just watched Train to Busan (Amazon). As good a zombie movie as you’ve heard.

Woo hoo!

Did you watch the one on the cruise ship? There are a few Triangle films.

If it’s the boat one, I loved it. It had enough unpredictability that I was glued to it the whole way through. I think the first time I saw it, Netflix DVDs were still coming in the mail. I’ve seen it twice as well.

That’s the one, yeah.

We loved that Triangle too. Tumbbad is also fantastic.

Rocky Horror Picture Show doesn’t qualify but I rewatched it because Halloween and our 16 year old hasn’t seen it. And I forgot but there is some seriously good music in the show.

OK, time for a really random question.

What character is this from a horror movie?

Disagree. I appreciate these catch all threads and review them infrequently, but I do love them when in the mood for a genre like horror. I certainly don’t have time to read all those separate threads or keep up with what is great because I am not a very big movie buff. I just appreciate drafting off the opinions and summarizations of all of you who are.

I could see why these threads would be a waste of time for those who heavily follow the movie scene, but I like 'em. Thanks to all who roll up and provide summaries of what they have been watching and how they liked it.

I watched Slumber Party Massacre. What a gem! The murderer is awesome. The way they shot him super close on his face, leering at the girls and moving like some annoying dodging enemy in a video game, it works. Peak trash. 8/10, I recommend.

A few days later I tried Slumber Party Massacre 2, and… massive turd. I didn’t even get halfway through it.

Lessee, some more to go on the pile:
Pure - One of Hulu and Blumhouse’s Into the Dark collaboration. At a purity retreat, some of the girls do a ritual to summon Lilith after hours. Only this time it seems like it worked. Creepy, but primarily because purity retreats/balls are deeply, fundamentally creepy, misogynistic and toxic. (In my view, at least…and certainly also the movie’s). The pastor in this really strongly reminded me of Chris Pratt, but it isn’t him. Apparently one of the key crew people on this went on to contribute to the problems on the Rust set that led to the fatal shooting, but I didn’t know that (nor, I think, had the shooting happened) at the time I watched this.

They Come Knocking - also Into the Dark. A little fable of a father and his two daughters going on a road trip to say goodbye to his wife/their mom, only to be menaced by a supernatural force…which turned out to be Black-Eyed Kids, one of my least favorite internet urban legends. It’s not too bad (although the ending involves driving them away with mom’s ashes which I found kinda sappy, was unclear as to why it drove them away, and…the movie doesn’t especially seem to care they’re still stranded out in the middle of nowhere with no vehicle, limited supplies, and a fairly young girl among the trio even without the BEKs) but I really wish the supernatural end of things had been something more interesting.

Grave Encounters - Decent little found footage number Tom recommended a while back. Starts off a kinda eye-roll worthy pastiche of those stupid ghost hunter “reality” shows although it dodges being actively annoying by showing the between filming moments where they’re just being regular people and like, faking stories and stuff. Then, of course, they run into incredibly mild actual ghostly phenomena and freak the fuck out like there’s a supernatural slasher murdering them even though like, a door closed once. If that’s the register it stayed at (and IMO that’s only slightly short of the “frights” things like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity offered, hence those movies not doing much for me), I’d have been bored silly. Thankfully stuff ratchets way up from there. I think the back half is by and large, genuinely good (some questionable FX aside).

Grave Encounters 2 - consensus here seemed to be that this was a total retread, but a friend of mine who loves horror movies and shares similar taste to me said she liked it also so I gave it a shot. They’re both on Shudder, after all. It’s definitely not as good. But I don’t think it’s a total retread, either - where the first part of the original movie is ghost hunter stuff, this one is a horror movie obsessive/Youtuber and would-be director and his (film school?) buddies trying to make a (pretty shitty) horror movie, partying, and gradually getting lured into investigating the events of the first movie, discovering it was “all real” and nobody’s heard from the cast since. Naturally this leads to going to the same haunted hospital and, shocker, bad stuff happens to them. That part is heavy on retreaded material, for certain (and it’s dumb that they don’t immediately recognize when the supernatural stuff from the first movie pops up since they’ve all seen it), but there are a few elements that remix it in modestly interesting ways, e.g. a security guard (who naturally meets a bad end), a surviving member of the first movie, an apparent escape, a mysterious red door, and a romantic relationship between the two leads. (Everyone in the first movie were kinda coworkers or work friends at most.) Still. Diminishing returns. I recommend the first, but this one, eh. Coulda been worse, though!

Part of the expectation with found footage movies is that the you’re going to see a modest production that relies on creepy horror instead of effects or spectacle or anything too over-the-top. Found footage is often a shortcut for production values.

So that’s why the mostly not very good, but ultimately satisfying Grave Encounters is a refreshing change of pace. You have all the ingredients for a low-key found footage horror movie: bad actors left to improvise, a chintzy reality TV premise, a dumpy set, obvious humor, and reliance on gimmicks like a window moving ever-so-slightly. So it goes. They can’t all be Paranormal Activity.

But once you think you’ve got a bead on Grave Encounters, it pulls a fast one. Let me stress that you’re not getting a good movie. Instead, you’re getting a fun haunted house thrill ride. And in horror movies, that’ll do just fine.

Grave Encounters is currently available as video on demand. I recommend enjoying it with a group.

Man that’s cool that you guys liked Grave Encounters but I did not dig it. It’s not even awful, just kind of forgettable and not terribly scary.

Was Paranormal Activity actually any good? I shied away back in the day due to so much similar stuff being just awful.

I’d go so far as to say Grave Encounters is my favorite found footage horror movie.

It kind of works if you don’t know too much about what to expect going in. It’s a lot of waiting around watching static shots of dark rooms for something very small to happen.

At this point, given all the many copies of Paranormal Activity (not to mention what a pop cultural phenomena it was), I’m not sure it’s really going to work on you anymore. But maybe I’m wrong.

The thing that makes Grave Encounters for me is one particular gimmick they executed well. There’s a scene where the mood of the characters goes from, “Okay, this sucks, but we can just wait until morning,” to pants pooping terror as they realize how truly screwed they all are thanks to this one creative bit which I won’t spoil.

The second movie, unfortunately, contains no such creativity.

Yes, very. It’s a classic for a reason.

It was also our first podcast:

-Tom