What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

I think I actually saw this on a school trip to France! Does it end with the bible quote about ‘if thine eye offends you, pluck it out’?

Lol yes

Can’t wait for Dune Part 3!

Just watched Something in the Dirt this weekend. quoting roguefrog upthread it’s bonkers, in a glorious way. Such a great film, I was enthralled. They seemed like they were just having a blast making this. I love the dedication at the end, it made me grin.

I think I was getting this movie confused with that “In the Earth” movie, which I also liked. I kept hearing "Something in the Dirt "and thought I already saw it. I’m glad i was corrected.

I rewatched Rec 1, 2, and 4 over two nights. I did not mind the shaky cams at all unlike other shaky cam movies from the era (I’m looking at you Bourne 2-3, they are unwatchable nowadays because of the shakes…). 4 is a bit meh, and so i probably won’t rewatch 3, but 1 and 2 are classic IMO mixing the Exorcist with zombies.

I’ve been avoiding Rec because I think it’s too scary to watch alone.

I also just watched Something in the Dirt and really liked it, although I could have used a bit more of an explanation.

Looking it up, I hadn’t realized that “Synchronic” on Netflix is also one of their movies, so I’m gonna check that out next. And I might have to rewatch The Endless soon.

Lake Mungo. I thought it was a really good slow burn ghost story. It’s the thinking man’s Paranormal Activity. But I also really like Paranormal Activity, and I think it would’ve been better if they had cranked up the terror a little bit.

That clearly wasn’t what it intended to be, Lake Mungo is a story that plays on loss and grief and human frailty. I just really love slamming doors and scary voices in the night. I’m all about the pissed off ghosts.

The Human Centipede. I just wanted to know what the fuss was about, but I should’ve left it alone. It doesn’t feel like a movie so much as someones private fetish tape. I don’t know why it exists.

One of my all-time favourites, even if the PS3 skipped The Scene when we first watched it. The movie ended and we knew something was up so had a read through Bill and Christian’s exchange on the front page and… yeah, we’d missed something in a disc skip. We watched it back on PC and… holy crap, what is that–oh god. Not an ideal way to experience it but it’s a testament to that scare that it stayed with us for a long time. It still gives my girlfriend the heebie-jeebies.

My girlfriend and I love horror but we’ve gone off the boil recently. We caught The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original) on Prime Video last year and it was excellent; way better than I ever expected. X was okay. Willy’s Wonderland… uh. Oh, The Battery was fantastic. Had no idea what type of movie that was going to be which framed the intro very differently (that’s worth experiencing if you don’t know much about it either). Fascinating lo-fi low-key horror drama—I really liked After Midnight as well so I’ll be keeping an eye on Jeremy Gardner’s work. Zombie for Sale was another unexpected treat. Really quirky and a fun twist on the genre, a bit like One Cut of the Dead, which is also an all-time favourite. Does Nope count as horror? Either way I preferred that to Us.

I won’t say we’ve been running dry but I certainly feel like we’ve not had as much recommended horror lined up lately. I’d be interested to know what folks’ recent favourites are. There’s a lot of not-so-good in this thread so I’d love to buff our list up a bit.

Barbarian is recent and good, and even has its own dedicated thread.

Witchboard, and it was just as bad as I remember from back in the 80s. This was the first movie on The Last Drive In with Joe Bob on Shutter last night. Tawny Kitaen, who was dating OJ at the time (the things you learn from Joe Bob), starred as a woman possessed, or alternately attacked, by a Ouija board after using one at a party. Slow and stilted dialog competes with homoerotic undertone between the two leads for some of the weirdest parts about this movie. The villain doesn’t actually show up until the third act. There is some really great camera work. My wife and I loved it.

Evil Dead Rise was very good, see my thoughts in that thread.

The Harbinger (2022) was a Chicken Soup for the Soul production, which was my first sign that something was wrong. The absolutely bizarre pacing, acting, etc were horrifying in their own right. We bailed less than fifteen minutes in when I realized that what I actually wanted was:

The Harbinger (2022) Only streaming on Tubi, far as I can tell: Watch The Harbinger (2022) - Free Movies | Tubi
The other one is I guess about like, a Native oracle or something, and a little girl that is described as a psychopath by a therapist almost immediately even though I’m pretty sure that an actual therapist wouldn’t do that. This one is a movie set during the COVID lockdown in which a woman is having a very hard time and calls a friend from college who credits this woman with saving her life (she was very depressed, apparently) and promised to be there for her, guaranteed, if ever needed. There’s a lot of very realistic awkwardness around COVID protocols, a cranky MAGA-type neighbor, a sick kid upstairs…but also, it turns out that what this woman is having trouble with is nightmares she can’t wake up from, featuring a mysterious threatening figure in a plague doctor mask. So her friend stays to help take care of her…and she starts having the nightmares too. Where it goes from there I will not spoil but this one is a banger. I’m always a sucker for nightmare sequences in horror movies because the surreal feeling of dreams can be creepy so easily, and this movie captures that very well. It’s also great about performances and dialogue. People feel real. It really captures the zeitgeist. And the eventual fallout of this nightmare infection is even more horrifying.

The Deep House - eh. My girlfriend found this pretty unsettling but she has actually tried scuba diving and found it too scary to pursue, so I think that contributed a lot to the experience for her. For me it’s a pretty basic haunted house type premise, the wrinkle of it being underwater is cool but ultimately made it hard to follow as it’s often murky and they’re cutting between a number of video feeds. It’s fine? I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it though.

I see your The Deep House and raise you The Night House… which I would whole heartily recommend.

Yeah, The Night House is great.

I watched a double feature of Lucio Fulci’s Zombi 2 and The Beyond on Joe Bob’s show.

Zombie 2 is way better. I know that’s not the popular opinion but let’s review the facts.

The Beyond takes itself too seriously. The voiceover, of what is supposed to be Satan or whatever, is silly. The entire movie doesn’t seem to make sense, like they’re running around a hospital full of zombies and are suddenly teleported back to the hotel? I know there’s a gateway to hell there, but it’s never established how far the influence of hell extends. Or, maybe it was and I wasn’t paying attention. Anyway, it felt like they just had to wrap this thing up so fuck it, teleport them back to the basement then they walk into the painting world and we say a creepy line.

Now, Zombi 2. Let’s discuss its merits. Epic combover protagonist. Makes balding guys like me feel good about our hairstyle choices. NYPD leather jackets. Bad ass! Where do I get one? Nude scuba diving because fuck it, let’s get some tits in this movie. A zombie vs shark fight! It was a real shark! Fulci was a visionary, he had sharks in movies way before Sharknado made them cool and popular. Best kill scene ever: the door splinter through the eyeball. And it doesn’t cut away. You see everything. Get it? See? See that splinter coming? And the plot? Voodoo! Yup, that’s it, there’s zombies because fuckin voodoo magic man!

In conclusion, watch Zombi 2 immediately and you can pass on The Beyond.

Speaking of Fulci, I got this copy of New York Ripper sitting here I bought last week at Forbidden Planet. We’re going to do a movie night soon to watch this. Reddit said it’s the trashiest movie ever made. I can’t wait. Going in completely blind. I expect we’ll need all the trigger warnings at this movie night.

Is that true? I thought fans of Fulci thought Zombi 2 was the pinnacle of his insanity.

I don’t know, Joe Bob said so!

Oh! One story Joe Bob told about The Beyond was absolutely bonkers. Apparently the actor who played the Warlock was getting absolutely tortured on set. Like grueling scenes in awful makeup. This dude gets flogged, crucified, drowned, etc. So the actor fled the set. Went back to Paris to escape the shoot. Fulci sent some goons to kidnap his ass and drag him back to Rome to finish filming his torture scenes.

Yes but

I mean, if you’re watching any Fulci film for a tidy, sensible plot, you’re doing it wrong. The Beyond is his surrealist-exploitation trash masterpiece, heavy on atmosphere and ridiculous gore and just plain wrongness, extremely light on plot. The story barely matters beyond the necessary setup to get as many dream-logic set-pieces as he can in 90 minutes.

Certainly no fan of horror should pass on it.

I wish I had a gif of Bernadette from Fire Emblem doing her open mouth reaction to whoever that one dude is when he says he found her poem in the library.

It is important to note that Winnie-the-Pooh slipped into Public Domain - at least in the US - in 2021 I believe. So, that’s how this movie got made. As to the why. . .

I will rent this tomorrow most likely, even though the rental price is 10 bucks.