What if... Quarter to Three switched from vBulletin to Discourse?

Likes would be great for something like that awesome Diablo 3 gearing post that I will never find again and am unable to search for. Huge threads with occasional amazing posts are really challenging with the current system.

I think there are probably other ways to address that particular issue, though. Like better search.

Yeah, likes are relied on heavily for the “Top” tab (best topics today, this week, this month, etc) and “Summarize This Long Topic” button that appears under the first post of any topic with more than 50 replies.

Summarize gives you the readers digest / ain’t nobody got time for dat version of the topic by collapsing a lot of posts as you read. We cap it at 100 so once you click summarize your topic will never be more than 100 replies long (but it can be shorter). And you can click to expand the collapsed posts as you read, if you want.

Likes are not the only factor (read times, views, links, reply count, bookmarks, etc are all factored in) but a very important one.

The hard core people who can’t abide change basically left. Like the one guy who had the word “cunt” in his full name. He will, uh, not be missed. In general the discussions there are crazy active compared to what they were. But their weirdo forum software they transitioned off of was SO SO bad, whereas vBulletin is just garden variety bad.

Ahh yes, the honorable Viscunt of Dilhorne, Jack Manningbone-Ballzac. He gets a lot of flack for his name.

What are you referring to? We are on a new page now. A new AWESOME page.

Locality is for pussies.

Or bookmarks.

Isn’t that what google’s for? It indexes fine…

I certainly use Google whenever I’m trying to find anything on Qt3. I don’t know what advantages built-in search functionality in forum software might have over it, if it worked, which vBulletin’s doesn’t.

Any forum, let’s be honest here.

Unless of course it does crazy things with “infinite scrolling” and screws up indexing because it doesn’t load all the thread data, of course.

Everything is perfectly findable via Google in Discourse. Try it if you don’t believe me. G’wan, I triple dog dare you. Show the world how wrong I am, and how right you are!

As far as in forum search goes, I find that being able to scope your search (as needed) by user, by category, and by topic is very powerful. Probably my most common search is “I thought I remembered (person) saying…” so ordering by recent is very helpful as well.

I would post a screenshot of the Discourse search help options here to illustrate, but not in the mood for a 15 step, multi-browser-tab image upload process from my iPad at the moment.

Throw away the ipad and buy one of the new notepadlapbooks which feature a touchpad and keyboard. No more greasy screen smearing finger touching. It feels like the future, and I think it’s going to be the next big thing. No more itunes with it’s quaint syncing. And no more complaining about how hard things are because you choose to use a device unsuitable for the activities you want to do!

NOW I wish we had a like button!

But you must forgive wumpus, when it comes to comparing things to his software product, he is A-1 #1 fan of over-the-top no-relation-reality hyperbole; i.e., acting like a typical salesman :) But he’s mostly harmless.

I have, in the past. First 20 odd posts. It’s perfectly logical, of course, it only loads those initially loaded on page load. And in-forum search is not generally useful for a few reasons, including the fact that I want to be able to find content without knowing on which forum it’s on in the first place.

And I’m not responsible for your not having a decent image upload system set up. I right click on the image, upload to gallery, the URL gets copied to my clipboard and I paste it. Done. Anywhere, not just where one little-used piece of software is installed.

I wouldn’t recommend my particular setup, but there’s plenty of solutions for that, i.e. Rightload, Imgur’s own app, etc.
(Using a locked down platform where you can’t do that? Don’t complain to me!)

demagogue - Quite, anyone voluntarily using iTunes is a masochist. (I’m fine with Apple in general, but iTunes…hahaha)

Giant pain in the ass to post this from iPhone 6 plus orca edition, but I love the smell of Dude Who Is Wrong On The Internet in the morning.

So…there’s a page hack being used there, which surely breaks the entire point of your ideology for discourse? That doesn’t mean that it generally works with infinite pages, still, of course. So yea, feel free to smell.

Moreover, why are you whining when you’re using a closed platform which makes it difficult for you? Your choice!

I googled ‘so I am still happy after updating to the new beta6’, no quotes.

The link I clicked didn’t centre on the post, I had to scroll down and let it load in the new page. Still: It’s there.

What’s the page hack?

ps: QT3 posts are very findable in google. The other day I googled for something and found a post I’d made an hour ago on QT3 on the front page of google :/

It’s using pages, which Wumpus was quite clear REAL Discourse installs didn’t have. So it must be using a hack! (“Hack” == code modification in this context)

And right, of course QT3 ones are, like any forum’s. (Discourse being a hmm…“discussion space”)

I’m confused: You’re complaining that Discourse presents itself as paged to internet search engines to allow it to be indexable? (If that’s what it’s doing?)

Please remember Google personalize your searchs. So if you visited a iGloo Shop or googled “How to make a iGloo” … you are going to see more iGloo stuff on the frontpage.

And is true* that Google loves QT3. You can invent a word in this forum and it will show in google after 15 min, is crazy. I am sure google is not downloading everything all the time, so YMMV, but it does fast enough that is kinda creepy.

*imho