What if... Quarter to Three switched from vBulletin to Discourse?

It’s not the True Way of Discourse, it is?

(I maaaaay be being sarcastic to Wumpus. Also, it wasn’t that way a few months back with the Discourse I was poking)

What are you on about? There’s no page hack AFAICT That’s the number of posts. 154 of 154. whether I load that page via desktop or mobile browser, it’s one infinite scroll.

It’s distinctly a lone page when I load it in Pale Moon.

There are always pages / chunks – it is just a question of whether you have to hunt for a tiny “next page” button and manually click it before the next page / chunk loads, or not.

Because when you scroll down to the bottom of page 5, it is quite statistically likely that you want to continue reading the top of page 6. And when you scroll up to the top of page 3, it is similarly likely that you want to continue reading the bottom of page 2.

Crazy talk, I know.

I’m not entirely sure what that is, but i just thank the maker it is not Qt3 ;) Sorry dude, i’m all for people doing the new chat software thing (hey look at this pic of my cat while i eat breakfast it is AWESOME! etc) if that is their thing, but whatever that was it is not a ‘decent’ conversation, of the kind this place is full off.

I could post a mobile screenshot that is all text from a larger post, if you like. That one was just what I had at hand to quickly demonstrate that yes, Google indexes Discourse quite well, even if the topic has hundreds or thousands of replies.

Also another fun feature of vBulletin, letting people quote giant images. Or you know, thumbnailing images in any way at all…

(Sorry, I just uploaded raw iPhone 6+ screenshots. Forgive me, didn’t have time to install Starlight’s preferred IOS plugin to make posting images in vBulletin easier and not enormous.)

Nono, Wumpus, the iOS plugin can’t do that, because closed platform.

And so it’s not infinite scroll after all? Heh.

Do that many people really browse the forum or respond on their phone? I’d be curious to see what the breakdown is here. I occasionally use my Surface, but the vast majority of my time with Qt3 is spent on a desktop.

Yep, heaps, though to be fair it is typically more browsing than responding. I hate typing on mobile devices so reserve wordy responses for when I am back at a keyboard.

Ditto. If I’m going to waste time surfing the net on my phone, the conversation on Qt3 is [usually] more informative and engaging than just browsing reddit. If I see something I wanna respond to at length, I just wait till I’m out of the restroom ;)

Phone nearly all the time. If I am at my desktop, I have better things to do, but with a 15 month old I can’t afford to be at my desktop.

Ooh you have young kids, wonders never end, just like a lot of people on here i suppose, i have 2 of my own, never had to resort to using my phone to post due to having them though, still why have kids if you cant use them as an excuse for something eh.

I blame my kids for this sarcastic reply really, you see he woke up at 2am, was sick all in his bed, his hair, pillows and on his cuddly toys I had to bathe him, couldnt get his bed dry and clean so he slept in mine then was sick again 90 mins later and I never got any sleep, damn kids such a pain in the arse, still at least I can still post from my laptop, makes all the difference for me though!

I read very frequently on my phone, post a little less frequently. I have the (older, I believe) Tapatalk that I use. If it’s a more lengthy reply, I’ll just wait till I’m at my desktop. I hate typing out longer messages on mobile since it takes forever and tends to lead to all sorts of autocorrect shenanigans. I’m 6’6" and have large hands, so fat-fingering leads to a lot more mistakes than I’d like!

Your response puzzles me. When I am home, I try to participate in my daughters life. So most of my typing is done on the phone while I am on break. When I have some free time at home because my wife and daughter are out, than I like to play games or occasional work on my thesis (which I am very unmotivated to complete). Its just the nature of my life. The phone is convenient enough, although not great.

Remember this controversial comment? ;)

They’re ticking up year on year, but OS X is half as active on your old site than Windows! :P

I found fun the part where younger programmers are more pro-Tabs and older programmers are more pro-Spaces. Is like when you are young, you find tabs a elegant solution to beatify your code, but then after colliding against many different people and they preferred text editors you get to love more spaces, because fuck humanity theres no way to agree on the character length of tabs.

To me OS/X is a house in the woods. I don’t like 90% of it, but it find it way better than what a Windows would give me, and better than what a Linux give me.

Older? Whitespace-aware languages are for masochists.

Huh. Maybe I am further in the minority than I had thought… Between having large hands and not the best eyesight, I rarely read much of anything on my phone and almost never type on it aside from text messages.

I think it would be interesting to see metrics on this. I’m like you – rarely read, almost never post from mobile.