What if...?

I liked the second episode a lot more. It capitalized a lot better on the “big butterfly effects from a seemingly small change” concept that I thought was absent in the first episode.

I never did get into the Age of SpongeBob comics.

Ravager Thanos was my favorite bit.

“Yeah, that’s genocide.”

“No, but see, it’s efficient! And random!”

“Still genocide!”

Turns out I like Guardians of the Galaxy a lot more when you replace ultra-obnoxious Peter Quill with literally anyone else. Great episode, and I agree, better than the first, which seemed pretty conservative.

Right? I liked the first Guardians movie, but there was more fun in that episode than almost anything Marvel has produced in years. My wife said at one point, “I’d watch that Guardians movie.”

@SadleyBradley they were so much less tied to an existing script with this one. I liked the first episode, but this was really special for a variety of reasons (and didn’t need to be longer like the first ep did).

Anyway, this was incredible. I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about it.

I thought it was better than the first episode but this still isn’t feeling like must watch TV. It’s entertaining enough but nothing about the series so far is wowing me or making me excited to see next week.

The credits said that almost all the characters were voiced by their original actors… including Chadwick Boseman (but not Bautista or Pratt). Throughout the episode I’d been trying to figure out who were stand-ins, and I thought at least The Collector was, and probably Yondu, but the credits say they aren’t. Weird.

Yeah, I thought Benicio Del Toro sounded really bad. Like he’d forgotten how he voiced his own character in the movie.

I felt the same way about Michael Rooker. He sounded like a random person off the street trying to mimic Michael Rooker.

Rooker’s character in The Suicide Squad sounded more like Yondu than he did in What If :)

I thought he sounded like Yondu maybe half of the time. I think there are a few problems: 1) recording lines in a booth is a lot different from acting on a soundstage or on set; 2) people who do voicework professionally know how to be a little more over the top than acting live; 3) I think his delivery sounds different when he’s not wearing those fake teeth.

And yes, I was also surprised to discover that was Benicio Del Toro. The guy who voiced Drax was really convincing though!

It was a really fun episode, and I think it’s a fantastic sendoff for Chadwick Boseman.

I forgot about those! Yeah, it’s probable that they didn’t have him wear the teeth for the VO session which made it harder for him to match his old performance.

It’s easy to imagine either Del Toro himself or someone else involved thought it would be a good idea to put a different spin on the Collector’s voice to go along with the character’s considerably different portrayal here. I’m not sure it was the right choice though.

Definitely! It’s clear that Disney thought having the original MCU actors with varying levels of voice acting training/aptitude was better than having well-trained soundalike voice actors across the board. I actually don’t knock them for that decision because it’s kind of cool to have most of the originals voicing their characters, but they’ve got to understand that it’s going to be pretty uneven as a result.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting/weird that they had Carrie Coon do the voice of Proxima Midnight. How many lines does she have in the movies? Like one?!? I definitely would not have noticed if they replaced the voice actress there.

I never would’ve known it was her in the movie, if not for the credits. In fact, when I saw Endgame in the theater, I was like, “Wait. Did I miss Carrie Coon? Where was she?” I had to look it up online to see who she played.

What a vastly more fun episode this was. Except the one thing that NOBODY CARES ABOUT LET IT DIE FORGOTTEN but anyway.

RIP Chadwick Boseman. Damn, what a talent.

They even had Kurt Russel come in to do that ONE line in the stinger.

Howard the Duck was voiced by Seth Green, who I always really liked in Buffy but whom I had forgotten actually existed.

Green does a lot of voice work, he’s Chris on Family Guy and he’s also the co-creator of Robot Chicken. You may also remember him as the pilot of the Normandy in Mass Effect. On screen he shows up here and there but still probably best known as Scott Evil.

He was the voice of Howard the Duck in both Guardian movies too.