What is left of Atari?

and cunning plan rhymes with stunning scam…

The Amiga 500 was the best thing I ever owned.

I loved my 1040ST and Lynx! But you’re right about the software scarcity, especially here in Edmonton. I can’t tell you how many hours I invested in playing Barbarian, Starflight and Goldrush! Good times! The Lynx was excellent for the time (1990 I think…) again some of the games were ass, pretty much the only ones I can remember playing to any extent were ElectroCop (worst name ever) and Blue Lightning. Man I wish I had held onto that thing :)

So you are saying that Atari’s plan is the following:

1. Annouce new strategy
  2. Sell 94 million of ip
  3. ???
  4. Profit!!!

They’ll probably form a partnership with Phantom Entertainment.

And they just sold Shiny off to Foundation 9.

That’s the game development equivalent of selling “NEW PLAYSTATION 2 BOX” on eBay…

To summarize:

[ul]
[li]Majority of board out on their ass
[/li][li]Those chosen for the boot had wanted Atari to start producing its own games again
[/li][*]Atari will probably be fully dissolved and the name sold off for $5-10mm - to a t-shirt company or something similar.[/ul]Looks like Atari is taking a round trip on this one. Back to clearance bins full of Atari branded telephones and lamps.

I LOVED my Atari 1040ST! It was a nice computer, plagued by weird glitches (remember the “bomb outs” when something crashed or didn’t run right?) and a lack of real support by Atari. My main early programming experience was on a Commodore 64 though…ahh, those were the days.

Well, they did release the Flashback 2.0. That was a minor miracle in itself. Too bad the FB2 Portable got cancelled.

I loved my 1040ST as well
Sigh

[ul]
[li]Pirates[/li][*]Epic (very cool and epic flight sim)[/ul]I pretty much played those 2 games exclusively for a year and a half :)

Amiga 500, Bodega Bay, 386 BridgeBoard with 8 Meg RAM, 68030 MegaMidget Racer @ 25 MHz, 100 Meg SCSI HDD, 40 Meg IDE for the BridgeBoard, AmigaOS 2.1, Windows 3.1… good times!

Dungeon Master on my 1040ST. sigh. I wrote my thesis on WordPerfect on the ST.

Game over, man, game over.

Atari has filed its delayed Q1 financial report, posting a loss of USD 11.9 million or USD 0.89 per share.

Losses were up more than 50 per cent from the year-earlier period, when Atari reported a net loss of USD 7.3 million, or USD 0.54 per share. […]

The company did not hold a conference call for first quarter results, but did hold a shareholders meeting today. In its quarterly report, Atari stated that it had “substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern.”

Is it ever a good idea to name your business after a defunct company?

But hey, maybe the world needs a new Enron…

I guess Infogrames can no longer rock my world.

Well when it came out that Atari was losing the Dragon Ball Z license I knew it was over. Its the only thing that made Atari money as of late.

I wonder what this means for NWN2 and Obsidian?

I assume Obsidian is OK. They will probably get duped out of some royalties from Atari on NWN2 and NWN2 Expansion pack sales, but they are working on the Aliens RPG with Sega, which should keep the company going fine.

But I guess the Dungeons & Dragons software licence could be up fro grabs again? Or possibly revert back to Inforgrammes?

Obsidian is doing fine. I’m sure they will keep pumping out buggie unplayable software for years to come.

Dungeons & Dragons was to revert to back Hasbro after NWN2 anyways.

How will this affect The Witcher / CDProjekt?