What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

It’s like claiming Void Bastards isn’t a FPS. Games can have more than one label.

If you look at the OP for this thread, it was clearly established to discuss traditional roguelike games and that’s how it’s been used up until very recently. Anything and everything is being marketed as a ‘roguelike’ these days but that doesn’t make it so. For some reason people have started posting stuff here about games that aren’t roguelikes. I think another thread should probably be used for those. Jupiter Hell is a roguelike but not some of the others recently posted. Maybe there should be a separate thread for non-traditional roguelikes?

The developers and other sources (such as reviews) refer to it as a Roguelike or a Rogue-lite. Seems like it fits in the thread to me, but I’m not an expert.

I am pretty lax but it’s like
saying Gauntlet was a rogue like to me. Seems like a bit of a wide derailing

I interpret “(all thing roguelike)” in the title to be trying to widen the topic to include rogue-lites. Otherwise we can open another thread for rogue-lites. I don’t think most people around here are that picky about it.

I haven’t played it, but it’s covered in variants of the word “Roguelike” in the Steam tags, when I type “Is Streets of Rogue a Roguelike” into Google I get tons of hits of sites referring to it as such, and the description on Steam claims it as well. If it’s really not, that’s some false ass marketing.

Yes I don’t really care in truth, I just wanted to chat and argue a bit. Fire Emblem is the GOTY anyway!

I’d say Gauntlet is missing some properties that would make it a rogue-lite. Specifically, there isn’t enough procedural variation that makes any significant difference to the gameplay. Rogue-lites also tend to emphasize short lives with sudden endings, whereas Gauntlet is all about getting you to pump quarters into arcade machines. It can feel similar, but the emphasis is not on you restarting and trying again.

For the record, I hate the idea of having two threads for Rogue type games and never knowing which thread is where something belongs because everyone has a slightly different definition of what makes a game a Roguelike vs. Rogue-lite.

I was a bit disingenuous. Streets of rogue does have elements of a rogue, i think my main issue with it is it being multiplayer focused, which for some weird reason I take as a liability for a roguelike!

LOL fair enough! :)

Fire Emblem is freaking great!

I don’t know if it’s the focus. Most rogue-lites support some level of local multiplayer since it’s easy to add. Most rogue-lites are also too chaotic to get much out of multiplayer, with the players killing each other accidentally, whereas I can see Streets of Rogue getting easier with other people due to having more abilities and items available, and the general setting (a city) is mostly orderly.

The game really shines in online multiplayer. It’s not Monaco, but almost that level of chaos. It also probably taints the experience and makes it much less goal oriented, turning it into messy and hilarious toy box.
Sounds like there are two games in one in this one!

I didn’t know that! Yeah definitely sounds like there are 2 versions of the game, whereas Monaco kinda fails as a single player game IMO. Single-player is all I’ve tried/seen so far, and it’s great.

Oooh…

…who is “gym”?

Came here to post that! Downloading!

Yay, new Ultima Ratio Regum update!

Fun patch notes as always.

– Fixed an issue with certain kinds of buildings in towns sometimes causing the generation of houses to stop weirdly early, leaving a strange eerie town almost completely devoid of actual homes and people, yet filled with roads.

– Handled further issues with religious districts at night time, in particular people struggling to figure out how to worship, and priests behaving strangely when they can’t figure out how to get to a bed.

I’ve had intentions of trying Elona Plus for years but just never got around to it somehow. This past week I finally tried it out and it’s incredible. It’s just about everything I’ve ever wanted in a roguelike game. And with good looking graphics to boot.

What I’m playing specifically is Elona+(1.92) with Custom (1.90.4.7) installed over that. These are the latest versions that work together that I found out there to download. I added Custom because it removes the fairly draconian thirst requirements that got patched into Elona+ fairly recently. I don’t find that fun. Worrying about food is enough for me. In addition to turning off thirst, Custom adds better translations and also allows you to turn on the reload feature and adds some other very nice custom game play tweaks for pets.

This is very much an open sandbox roguelike. You can go anywhere and do anything right from the start. It has a story but you can do it as you please. As far as the game itself, it has a huge learning curve because there is so much to do in this game. You can buy farms and ranches and raise stuff for the benefits they provide. It has a detailed pet system that allows you to capture/recruit allies (pets) that fight with you (the number only limited by your charisma). You can ride them as well for a speed boost. It has gods to worship for nice benefits. You can own houses, stores, museums, etc. You can join 3 different guilds for access to unique skills. It has gene engineering, which allows you to combine the traits and skills of your pets to create better pets. It has crafting. In short, it has more systems and depth than any roguelike I’ve ever seen. Cataclysm DDA is the only other one I can think of that could even be mentioned as far as comparable depth of play.

It has an interesting skill and XP mechanic. You earn XP and levels by exercising your various skills. Your character can mutate (accidentally or on purpose) to acquire even more skills/traits than the ones you can buy from trainers.

In short, if you really want to dig your teeth into a deep, good looking roguelike that has just about everything you could ever think of, this is the game to try.